Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 01:56 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's about rudeness and non-assimilation, not freedom. Never said it should be a requirement.
But who's to say they are not assimilating? If they know english in the corporate world and speak it among others who do not speak Spanish then why do you care if they speak Spanish to each other. That's their right. What next? Gonna stop them from using it in their home? Other nationalities do the same, it's not that they are not assimilating, but they do want to maintain some of their native culture and native tongue is one of the most important in their view.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:58 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Quebec almost left Canada over the language thing. Too; Quebec people want Canada to cater to them in French but, Quebec would like to ban English being used there. Tho Quebec needs to watch it because its below replacement level birthrate WILL hurt them in the end.
Quebec has gone too far the other way, forbidding English signs for stores and businesses etc.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Canada has laws in place and English/French are both the national languages and treated as equal.
And the law permeates through Canada and in the schools.

We do not have that at all. What we have is mass translation.
K-5 bilingual education doesn't even begin to compare to Canada's education system with regard to their two official languages.

You are only looking at the surface here.

You think that will magically happen here in the US ?
Do I think it will magically happen? No. But it would through a concerted effort. Learning more than one language is a plus, not a minus. When one travels to Europe nearly all the young people speak English and their native language, many are multi-lingual. It's a limitation not to speak more than one language.

If you live in a highly Hispanic area you'd have to be dumbkoff not to learn some Spanish in my opinion. I wish I had more Hispanic neighbors so I could practice my Spanish more.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:41 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Do I think it will magically happen? No. But it would through a concerted effort. Learning more than one language is a plus, not a minus. When one travels to Europe nearly all the young people speak English and their native language, many are multi-lingual. It's a limitation not to speak more than one language.

If you live in a highly Hispanic area you'd have to be dumbkoff not to learn some Spanish in my opinion. I wish I had more Hispanic neighbors so I could practice my Spanish more.
Uh; NO "Hispanic" country has it together. There's a real good reason why immigration from all of them needs to be cut down, especially Mexico and Central America. It ain't "race", it's "culture" here. Hell, Argentina is more "white" in race than the US in 2014.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:13 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
But who's to say they are not assimilating? If they know english in the corporate world and speak it among others who do not speak Spanish then why do you care if they speak Spanish to each other. That's their right. What next? Gonna stop them from using it in their home? Other nationalities do the same, it's not that they are not assimilating, but they do want to maintain some of their native culture and native tongue is one of the most important in their view.
If they don't speak English outside of their homes then they aren't assimilating. Sorry if you don't agree. I already stated that speaking a foreign language inside their own homes is not what the objection is. Did you miss that post? If that's not retaining their native culture and language then I don't know what to tell you. Why does it have to be in everyone's face outside the home?

Old 08-16-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Since most Hispanic-Americans are bi-lingual (aka knowing English as well as Spanish) why would we have to learn Spanish to communicate with them?

Old 08-16-2014, 05:18 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Teaching all students a second language , K-12, would be a good policy, not just for immigrants but for all students. In Canada, the French immersion schools, which are schools for English-speaking kids to be immersed in a French-speaking environment are over-whelmingly popular with students and parents alike.
Why should the US try to model our education system after Canada's? Will that make our terrible parents who don't encourage education to their children change their ways overnight?

The good schools in the US are far superior to anything Canada has going.

I have news for you, most of us don't care about the bad schools in the US. It's not really my problem to worry about the education of children who's parents don't worry about it.

There is nothing I can do about that. They won't learn no matter what you do.

The schools my kids went to were second to none.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:51 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,300 times
Quote:
If they don't speak English outside of their homes then they aren't assimilating. Sorry if you don't agree.No need to apologize, I just have a different opinion I already stated that speaking a foreign language inside their own homes is not what the objection is. Did you miss that post? If that's not retaining their native culture and language then I don't know what to tell you. Why does it have to be in everyone's face outside the home?

I don't agree b/c they have a right to speak whatever language they wish amongst each other. Sometimes they may want to keep their convos amongs themselves. If they are not bothering anyone else, then I say let them speak the language that they wish. I've seen some alternate between english and spanish when speaking w/ each other and I feel like hey, if they want to, that's on them. No need to try to police what tongue ppl speak to each other. I don't make it my job to listen to everybody's conversation that is within a five mile radius of myself.

P.S. I would not want to group of latinos speaking Spanish directly in front of me to each other b/c that would make me feel awkward as I'm not fluent, but if they are just among themselves and there are no non-spanish speakers in the group, I say let it rip.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I don't agree b/c they have a right to speak whatever language they wish amongst each other. Sometimes they may want to keep their convos amongs themselves. If they are not bothering anyone else, then I say let them speak the language that they wish. I've seen some alternate between english and spanish when speaking w/ each other and I feel like hey, if they want to, that's on them. No need to try to police what tongue ppl speak to each other. I don't make it my job to listen to everybody's conversation that is within a five mile radius of myself.

P.S. I would not want to group of latinos speaking Spanish directly in front of me to each other b/c that would make me feel awkward as I'm not fluent, but if they are just among themselves and there are no non-spanish speakers in the group, I say let it rip.
Again, it's not about rights but rudeness and non-assimilation out in society. They often speak it loudly so you have no choice but to hear it under many circumstances. I don't give a rat's behind what the conversation is about either.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Since most Hispanic-Americans are bi-lingual (aka knowing English as well as Spanish) why would we have to learn Spanish to communicate with them?
Why not learn Spanish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies