Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2014, 07:33 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntBoo View Post
Yes they did. They just weren't mono-cultural.

And my grandparents would have over German families from the plant and there was no "How dare you speak German!" We weren't that paranoid about our identities and learned something about others; how to get along and recognize commonality.

Too many Americans have forgotten that there is an entire planet full of places and peoples and languages other than America and American English. When stared at strangely, those folks are going to stare strangely back.
No Americans have "forgotten" that there is an entire planet full of places and people. That's an absolutely absurd statement that only serves to weaken your point.

I have seen no American object to Spaniards speaking Spanish, French people speaking French, or Russians speaking Russian. Just do so in Spain, France, and Russia.

It's quite simple and quite reasonable. There is no need for you to build a ridiculous strawman about Americans "forgetting" that America isn't the only nation on Earth. Get serious.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:09 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,921 times
As long as you can speak English to me, I really dont give a damn what other language you speak to others. In fact sometimes its interesting listening to another language.

PS there are english speakers just about everywhere, hearing another language is not going to kill you. It should be excpected to a certain extent in international cities.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:01 AM

260 posts, read 195,214 times
So much fear that America will no longer be white and homogenous and... 'safe'?

Have any of you 'anti-furreeners' ever learned a language other than American English? No slang, idioms and accents don't count- I mean another language, even a European one, such as the one your parents or grandparents may have spoken. Would you have told them to shut up and speak American if you saw them today speaking their funny hoo-haa language? Oh, no, as it would be European!

And what is so scary about other people from somewhere else? And who has the temerity to tell people not to speak anything other than American English and no other languages if they are here? DO you know anything about American history other than simplistic jingo tunes hummed by a Captain Bandstand? Do you know how many languages were spoken in this country since its beginning? Or is it just Latin American Spanish that's the problem, or Arabic, say.

That is simply ignorant. Do any of these 'anti-furreeners' speak any Navajo, Cherokee? If not, go to England and speak your English there, it sounds funny and doesn't belong on these shores 'cause its 'furreen'.

But no Americans haven't forgotten all those other countries out there but some are terrified that they are there. And the only 'strawman' is this odd hate against people who speak other languages in your prescence. Do you even know anything about the British Empire or the Roman or... No, of course not. But let's hate on those other places with other people who probably know more and earn more than those who hate those 'furreeners'. That's most of the real argument not what language other people speak.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:03 AM

260 posts, read 195,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Then they never fully assimilated outside their homes and that's my point.
But what is your point? Your own discomfort that you are not included?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You don't have to be mono-cultural to assimilate linguistically out in mainstream. Just because we advocate for assimilation in that manner does not mean we have forgotten about the rest of the planet's different cultures and languages but this is "this" country not other countries. Our language is English s if you know how to why not speak it? I don't care what language or cultural practices one chooses in their own homes.
So what is your agenda? To make everything English? "God save the queen"? Look at Canada: It has hardly fallen to pieces and has a better economic system than this country partly because it has embraced its entire citizenry. Was it easy? NO. But it was done. But too many Americans are just so paranoid. Maybe they fear eventual deportation back to Europe where they would speak funny?

All this talk of assimilation... assimilate into what exactly? Have you looked at American culture recently? Or back to cocaine highs and hairspray on the ceiling sort of days, when we were all white? There are some understandable concerns, but this talk is usually the front of racists. "This is this country not other countries"? Really!? If your view of your own culture was not that it is so weak you wouldn't have to be so in fear of losing it. You might even understand that you're not, you are gaining and expanding from those who speak funny words between themselves, people who are and will assimilate yet still keep their heritage, something a lot of Eurocentric folks have given up on for the thrill of being obstinate because they think that is all America is: Stubborn.

Last edited by BluntBoo; 08-20-2014 at 04:18 AM..

Old 08-20-2014, 04:15 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,921 times
I understand the English is the language of business here but there is certainly nothing wrong with being able to speak more than one language. Yes one should speak English (at least sometimes) if possible, however we are in a time where kids can be suspended from school for saying something to a friend in Spanish and that's just foolish.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:22 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
As long as I continue to see and hear talking heads on the MSM every week (and some times every day) saying the "white male power structure" or "old white male" problem I will continue to fight against anyone or anything that associates itself with such hateful rhetoric.

As a young white male who grew up in the inner city in modest means to be vilified so brazenly and openly so frequently now within the media and overall American culture, I have a duty to fight back all those that spread such propaganda.

"Diversity" is just another tool for the "hate-white-male" syndrome that I see every day, so I will do everything to fight it in the meantime.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:55 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
"Diversity" is just another tool for the "hate-white-male" syndrome that I see every day, so I will do everything to fight it in the meantime.
There is a lot of truth in that statement. And 99% of the time when people talk about "diversity", they are really only talking about "racial diversity", not complete diversity. If companies and people really cared about diversity they would go way beyond race.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:41 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There is a lot of truth in that statement. And 99% of the time when people talk about "diversity", they are really only talking about "racial diversity", not complete diversity. If companies and people really cared about diversity they would go way beyond race.
That is the system set up by white men. They came up with the modern ideas of race and instituted them. They forced those categories on diverse peoples. Different groups have been appealing to the government for recognition of other diversity, such as ethnic/cultural. However, it is has been repeatedly blocked.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:51 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
That is the system set up by white men. They came up with the modern ideas of race and instituted them. They forced those categories on diverse peoples. Different groups have been appealing to the government for recognition of other diversity, such as ethnic/cultural. However, it is has been repeatedly blocked.
^

This is exactly what I'm talking about and what I view as hate speech.

I'll continue in my lifetime to fight against such hateful rhetoric and as long as this rhetoric exists and is used to suppress me I have a duty to keep divisiveness alive and well and fight for mine and people like me.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:51 AM

62,934 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Apparently, some in here just don't get it or they have an agenda to dilute the language and culture of this country. I have given up trying to explain it.

The objection is mostly to all the Spanish being spoken in this country. No other language is making strides like that and it is directly due to stubbornness to use English as their primary language and illegal immigration from south of our border. It is creating discrimination in hiring practices towards native English speakers also. No country in the world would embrace losing their identifying culture and language in that manner. I am done with this subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies