Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 08:12 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Actually what I'm aiming for is teaching them how to turn it off and on.
There's a time and place for slang and ghetto talk.
I tell them talk it all they want after school but not in school.

And it's a challenge because the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
I see their mama's coming in to school cursing out teachers and administrators and I have been semi-cursed out by a parent over the phone.

You see I realize that these kids do not know any better.
They are just emulating what they have learned at home.
These are the chronic ones.

The wannabes usually stop once you nip it in the bud or get ahold of a parent at home.
There might be a place and time for it. School isn't a time for it. The way I grew up, my parents wouldn't even let me talk that way.

I would be embarrassed if my parents ever went to school cursing at an administrator.

The kids who are the wannabes do this because they feel like they have to. Some of them know better, but there is a certain amount of peer pressure involved. Sometimes a phone call to the parents isn't even necessary. Sometimes public embarrassment is enough, when dealing with a wannabe.

The children who emulate the parents, that reminds me of what Bill Cosby mentioned. He basically said that he blamed the kids for their poor grammar, until he noticed how the parents talked. I could never in a million years speak like that in front of my parents. And my father actually grew up in the inner city.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:39 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There might be a place and time for it. School isn't a time for it. The way I grew up, my parents wouldn't even let me talk that way.

I would be embarrassed if my parents ever went to school cursing at an administrator.

The kids who are the wannabes do this because they feel like they have to. Some of them know better, but there is a certain amount of peer pressure involved. Sometimes a phone call to the parents isn't even necessary. Sometimes public embarrassment is enough, when dealing with a wannabe.

The children who emulate the parents, that reminds me of what Bill Cosby mentioned. He basically said that he blamed the kids for their poor grammar, until he noticed how the parents talked. I could never in a million years speak like that in front of my parents. And my father actually grew up in the inner city.
Agreed.

What's that saying: "don't let the bastards get you down" or something like that.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed.

What's that saying: "don't let the bastards get you down" or something like that.
I don't know what the saying is. However, from my own experiences, students who frequented used poor grammar most likely had a household that allowed it or the parents probably spoke that way.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:16 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Ebonics is living proof that hood rat culture IS about the same as PWT "culture". Our green_mariner pointed that out and he's right.
I dislike "PWT" more than anyone I know. I dislike them probably more than any group in this infested country because they're a poor representation of my culture.

Quote:
Well, your laughter at what I stated tells me this: It shows an inability to refute what I said. You disagree with what I said, but you can't refute it. For that reason, this explains such laughter. It is an evasion tactic. If you don't agree, refute it.
Just means I don't care enough about it or that I'm going to Google up on it to get hip to the history of Southern diction at this particular time.

You said it. Could be totally false for all I know. What I do know is there is plenty of ghetto trash on the East Side of all colors that speak that Ebonics **** and I am not down with it, even though I'm still fairly young (33) and was raised on the ES. I find it particularly nauseating when I see fellow whites trying to act something they aren't. They can all kick rocks into Hell for all I care. They need a thorough ass kicking as far as I'm concerned. I did go through ghetto phase way back in JH but I grew out of that real quick.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:39 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,086 times
I'm asian. I don't hate diversity.

What I do hate is a PUSH for diversity. The worst is when it is MANDATED by law, or by the government in any way. I want the government to not worry about what race I am.

I'm tired of people judging me by what race I am. It seems people harp on race too much. You can't just describe me by saying I'm asian. I'm so much more diverse than that. Even amongst my all-Asian family there is extreme diversity in personality, interests, and income. Asian is just ONE trait.

To say that a group of white people can not be diverse is flat out ignorant and racist. There's all kinds of different white people.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I dislike "PWT" more than anyone I know. I dislike them probably more than any group in this infested country because they're a poor representation of my culture.

Just means I don't care enough about it or that I'm going to Google up on it to get hip to the history of Southern diction at this particular time.

You said it. Could be totally false for all I know. What I do know is there is plenty of ghetto trash on the East Side of all colors that speak that Ebonics **** and I am not down with it, even though I'm still fairly young (33) and was raised on the ES. I find it particularly nauseating when I see fellow whites trying to act something they aren't. They can all kick rocks into Hell for all I care. They need a thorough ass kicking as far as I'm concerned. I did go through ghetto phase way back in JH but I grew out of that real quick.
Well, maybe it would be a good idea to consider that the "hoodrats/ghetto thugs" are a poor representation of Black culture.

Everything I've mentioned about Ebonics being an offshoot of "redneck" culture, I've done research.

Black rednecks and white liberals - Thomas Sowell - Page full
Black Rednecks & White Liberals

And one thing about those kids that you talk about, I can at least say this. This is a phase for them. It's considered "cool". They aren't going to be mocked for not acting "ghetto". Black kids who do study, who do what they can not to be "ghetto", sometimes they do get treated poorly, as "acting White".

If you are nauseated about the White kids who act like that, maybe you should be nauseated about anyone of any color acting like that. It's dysfunctional for anyone, period.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:50 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Caucasian, white, European-American = "Anglo".

Actually that's a statement I don't disagree with. The ghetto "Ebonics" crowd truly do speak far more inferior English than many foreigners that come here (legally, that is). That we can probably agree on.
All European-Americans are not Anglo. Where do you get such information?

Let's be clear. My statement includes a host of "English-speaking" white Americans who have ghetto speech. They are far more in number than any "Ebonics" speakers.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:59 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Honestly, I can't really add anything to this. I can only speak for how this nation has worked. I can say that things like "scientific racism", it didn't originate from Black people. And furthermore,why would someone feel the need to come up with scientific racism?
That's exactly my point. Point that out though and the other poster starts whining and throwing accusations of hate. I suppose he doesn't know how those scientific racists used their theories to encourage the wickedness committed against non-whites in the U.S. The ideas of race and racism thought that permeate this nation and so many others are imports from Europe. It is the system they put into place.

Not sure why the other poster is so angry. *shrug*

Old 08-22-2014, 04:58 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post

Let's be clear. My statement includes a host of "English-speaking" white Americans who have ghetto speech. They are far more in number than any "Ebonics" speakers.
Percentage-wise, not even close. The link I posted above regarding ACT scores in my state alone makes this statement laughable. Numerous other tests back it up as well.

Don't distort, obfuscate and lie to try to make yourself look better.

Quote:

If you are nauseated about the White kids who act like that, maybe you should be nauseated about anyone of any color acting like that. It's dysfunctional for anyone, period.
I am. Quite much.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:07 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post

Not true. Here in Arizona ANY non Hispanic white person, even a dark skin Arab is counted as "anglo".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies