Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 02:12 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I don't think that word means what you think it means....

If the German immigrants had assimilated, then they would have switched to American Whisky.
It was World War I(and then World War II) that really assimilated German immigrants. Prior to World War I you still had tons of German language newspapers, specific German neighborhoods and so on that had existed for over 50 years in a lot of urban centers. After that though, Germans even anglicized their names with different spellings to "fit in" and German neighborhoods sort of dispersed. And Prohibition basically killed off a lot of smaller old German-American breweries.

Likewise the loss of the old West Coast Japantowns after the interment camps during World War II, really forced the assimilation of Japanese communities.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:15 PM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
Germans started immigrating into the United States before the Civil War. German immigrants were populous enough by 1860 to comprise a faction within the Republican Party.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:15 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
I think no one has a problem with people from elsewhere who come legally then assimilate like all before has.
I do not expect us to adopt rape as certain parts of African tribes and Jihad of Islam advocates.
I don't think we need to tolerate the unacceptable parts of outside cultures that are elsewhere allowed to kill and keep down women and abuse children.

IMO we have among the best cultures here among those who have assimilated to the mainstream, those who won't? That is another story.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I think no one has a problem with people from elsewhere who come legally then assimilate like all before has.
I do not expect us to adopt rape as certain parts of African tribes and Jihad of Islam advocates.
I don't think we need to tolerate the unacceptable parts of outside cultures that are elsewhere allowed to kill and keep down women and abuse children.

IMO we have among the best cultures here among those who have assimilated to the mainstream, those who won't? That is another story.
I'm not arguing for adopting rape or jihad or misogyny or child abuse.

I'm responding to a request for examples as to how immigration has helped/improved American culture.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:24 PM

Italians brought pizza with them.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:25 PM

Canadians invented basketball.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:31 PM

Mexicans introduced nachos. Who doesn't like nachos?

Old 01-07-2016, 02:31 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's what I say in my posts. I hate diversity and multiculturalism, if it's going to cause the balkanization of the U.S. As long as they assimilate, and reflect the Constitutional values of this nation, then I have no reason to worry. I only worry because so many of the new arrivals are all about, what can this country do for me, instead of what can I do to be a contributing American? That's why, I'm so against the Hispanization of America. I came here from Puerto Rico to escape living in "prison" because crime is so high there you have to have fences all around your property and iron burglar bars installed on ALL potential entries into your home. And we're getting those same poor Hispanics moving here, that cause us legit, working ones to fear for our safety and property. Anyone that is pro illegal immigration does NOT understand what it's like to live in Latin America, and does not understand why I feel the way I do, and attack me for it because they don't understand
Nicepost! I would go even for some more Hispanic culture, yet how I see it is not an issue of ethnicity, as much as it is an issue about class. How one defines 'middle-class values' is a necessary discussion. It would be nice to see more thought along these lines.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:43 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Steve Job's father was Abdulfattah "John" Jandali, a Syrian.

His sperm created the human that was Steve Job's. The culture and upbringing of Steve Job's adoptive parents, however, create the PERSON that was Steve Jobs.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:51 PM

Without Canadians, Germans, Italians, and Mexicans, then in the dreary month of March, no one would go to bars to eat pizza and nachos and drink beer and watch the NCAA basketball tournament.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies