Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 01:42 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
A telephone poll comprised of an undisclosed sampling demographic of 1005 “adults” is not anywhere nearly as conclusive or persuasive as the voters in 31 states who have rejected same sex marriage.

Well the poll didn't break it out into "likely voters" if that's what you mean. Unfortunately, the ppl that usually who vote are older, whiter, and/or a lot more conservative or more easily duped by malicious propaganda. The SSM votes have also been highly politicized and demagogued to death. Voters are misled by very deceptive TV ads that are bankrolled by the religious bigots that run this country. the arrogant displays of "victory" for the anti-equality side is something that they should be ashamed of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 07:57 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Slim majority back gay marriage, Post-ABC poll says - The Washington Post

Interesting to see how opinions have changed over just the last five years. And ten years ago, civil unions were seen as radical. The times are changing, for sure.
A huge number of us just don't care about it. Go ahead and get married. Pay more in taxes, and deal with getting divorced. We're tired of hearing about it.

It's part of what I hope is a bigger movement where we change government so that financially and socially they basically leave us alone from pointless rules, regulations and spending so that we can go about our lives and do our own thing so long as it isn't messing up someone else's life. But that's off topic and the subject of another thread entirely.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:26 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
A telephone poll comprised of an undisclosed sampling demographic of 1005 “adults” is not anywhere nearly as conclusive or persuasive as the voters in 31 states who have rejected same sex marriage.

It's actually more representative that what "voters" do than what the population may think, because "voters" tend to be older (aka, becoming increasingly irrelevant), and on social issues, voters have more motivation to be "against" something.

The people who are ADAMANTLY opposed to gay marriage probably outnumber the people ADAMANTLY for gay marriage, but taking those ADAMANTLY for gay marriage and those who support it or don't care, the survey results are most likely true.

Just own up to the fact that someday, it will be legal. Just like in the increasingly growing number of states and civilized countries around the world. Americans who own their backwoods mentality will have a harsh wake up call soon enough.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:39 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
If the majority support perverting and making a mockery of marriage, then have the people in every state where it was voted on overwhelmingly rejected it?
Conservatives are who are making a mockery of marriage with their adultry and divorces. Just go to any large convention and see how they behave once they are away from their spouses. (And the majority of people in Va. supported segregation, even shutting down public schools to avoid it - did that make it right?)

I had dinner last evening with some good friends. Two gay couples were there, one couple is going to have their 30th anniversary this year, the other is going over 30 years, another lost his partner of over 40 years. Those relationships are more rock solid and have lasted longer than most straight couples I'd say.

Gay people are your doctors, your legislators, your judges, your plumbers, your truck drivers. They defend this nation with pride whether in local or state police, fire departments and the military. All of the homophobic roadblocks to those professions have been shown to be based on ignorance and fear. The fear of gay marrige is just that - fear, based on ignorance and prejudice.

People may object to it on religious grounds, so be it. But one's religious beliefs should not prevent another from the full benefits of citizenship when those people are law abiding citizens contributing to this nation.

Last edited by newhandle; 03-19-2011 at 08:50 AM..

Old 03-19-2011, 08:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I thni the votes often show that serveys depend often o the questions wording. When it gets down to voting on plain question it's different. thatis why so mnay oppose voting.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:48 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,474 times
Well the good thing is that.. the old people from the really bigoted generation are finally dying off. In 5 more years, that number will rise dramatically as most of the old people who demanded by the idea of "WHITE CHRISTIAN HETEREOSEXUAL" nation die off

It makes me sick to listen to my grandpop (an old white, italian, POLICE officers from Philadelphia) talk. "N" this "N" that. Jews this... he just, needs to die lol

Same sex marriage will happen. We're just waiting for more of the level headed generation to get into politics, and the old monsters with their terrible views to .. go away

Old 03-19-2011, 09:00 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thni the votes often show that serveys depend often o the questions wording. When it gets down to voting on plain question it's different. thatis why so mnay oppose voting.
If you checked the website linked to in the OP, it included a graphic that had the wording of the question, and the change to the answer over time. They have been doing this poll annually since at least 2003, and the question is "Do you think it should be illegal or legal for gay and lesbian couples to get married?" Same question asked for 8 years. In 2004, over 60% thought it should be illegal, while just over 30% said legal; in 2011, for the same question, the response is now 53-44.

Gay marriage bans have been voted on in many states, but as the poll shows, the trend is clear.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:28 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,384,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
How? Gays getting married doesn't affect or demean my marriage. Gays don't take getting married lightly. It brings legal benefits but also legal obligations and makes it harder to get out of a relationship.
You betcha they don't take it lightly. If you research feminist beliefs on marriage it would be obvious that they are not fans of the institution. Marriage as it exists was viewed by the founding mothers of modern feminism as an equal to slavery. If these people are now in favor of marriage it's because they have already dug it's grave and are waiting to push it in.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:40 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,786 times
How can support be that high though? I imagine in the NE and in California, it'd be true. But when you factor in states like Mississippi, Alabama, Texas, Utah, etc, it seems like it'd be lower. I remember back in 2008 before all the big elections in Florida, newspapers were doing polls on whether Floridians would vote in favor of the gay marriage ban. Most of the polls said the gay marriage ban would fail to pass (60% is needed), since most of the polls were showing around 50-55% support for the ban. But the day after elections, the gay marriage ban passed with 62% voting in favor of it. Even in liberal Key West, 48% voted in favor of the ban, 52% voted against it. The ban was passed among people of all ages, including people aged 18-24 and 25-29.

And even "liberal" Maine barely shows a 47-45 favor of gay marriage.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...se_ME_0314.pdf

Among ages in Maine...

Aged 18-29, 51% favor gay marriage, 46% oppose
Aged 30-44, 48% favor it, 46% oppose
45-65, 50% favor, 42% oppose
66+, 38% favor, 50% oppose

Old 03-19-2011, 10:16 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Well the good thing is that.. the old people from the really bigoted generation are finally dying off. In 5 more years, that number will rise dramatically as most of the old people who demanded by the idea of "WHITE CHRISTIAN HETEREOSEXUAL" nation die off

It makes me sick to listen to my grandpop (an old white, italian, POLICE officers from Philadelphia) talk. "N" this "N" that. Jews this... he just, needs to die lol

Same sex marriage will happen. We're just waiting for more of the level headed generation to get into politics, and the old monsters with their terrible views to .. go away
Ok, this has little to do with same-sex marriage, but is this how you care for and respect elder people? I don't know what you've been through and how your grandpa treated you, but your grandpa lived in a generation that taught him to see things differently. You can't blame him for that and for the fact that his father taught him. Maybe he is responsible for his own actions and behaviors (as he ages) but to tell him to die because he's racist and don't support your marriage (or maybe he does)?

First of all, he's still a human being. That doesn't give you the right to tell him to die. Secondly, this generation (I don't know how old or young you are) have no respect for elders. It makes me sick to listen to people like this and have no care in the world for elder people. Maybe it's just a culture thing, but it makes me angry when younger people don't give a rip about their grandparents and elders because they have different worldviews. It's not acceptable if grandparents and elders start bashing others because we don't have the same worldview. It is something they have to accept, but hello? You can always ignore but still care for them because they are your grandparent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies