Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:33 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times

Advertisements

Amid Protest, Florida School Stands Behind Tough New Peanut Allergy Regulations - FoxNews.com

Quote:
Students at Edgewater Elementary are required to wash their hands and rinse their mouths out before entering the classroom each morning and after lunch. Teachers, who monitor the daily rinsing, must also ensure that desks are being continually wiped down with Clorox wipes. The school has banned all peanut products, eliminated snacks in the classroom and prevented outside food at holiday parties. And last week a peanut-sniffing dog was brought into the school
My favorite quote:
Quote:
“It would be the same thing as putting a handicap ramp for a student that is physically disabled. The only difference with this is that is affects other students,” she told FoxNews.com.

So what does everyone think? I think this has gone too far. I do feel for this child -- but what happens out in the real world? Is she supposed to phone the stores that she plans on visiting that day and tell them to de-peanut the place? Is she going to grow up and get peanuts outlawed because it's deadly for her? I am all for accommodations to help those in need -- but where is the line drawn?

IMO, this is the type of student that needs home schooling or private tutoring. Not as a punishment to this girl, but teachers did not go school so they can make sure students are washing their hands and desks and rinsing out their mouths.

YET-- is it possible for this girl to wear gloves and a mask to school? Oh wait, that would probably be too embarrassing for this girl...

Thoughts?

Old 03-20-2011, 08:49 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,649 times
My cousin has a peanut allergy, and he goes to a normal school without causing problems to other kids despite having a severe allergy. He manages by knowing not to eat anything if he doesn't know what's in it and telling adults if he's having an allergic reaction. The school is going overboard.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:55 PM

Well the thing is apparently her case is "severe" and the 'smell' of peanuts can be 'fatal'. Ok. That's fair enough .. but why can't she walk around with a mask/gloves? What is this teaching her? How to just make other people accommodate her? It's sad.. she's only in 1st grade

Old 03-20-2011, 08:56 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Nanny state strikes again. I'm sorry for this gal but it is unreasonable to have to accomodate her through the next 11 yrs of school. It would appear her allergy is so severe that no one can reasonably ensure her safety. Obviously just being out in public is hazardess to her health.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:12 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Amid Protest, Florida School Stands Behind Tough New Peanut Allergy Regulations - FoxNews.com

My favorite quote:

So what does everyone think? I think this has gone too far. I do feel for this child -- but what happens out in the real world? Is she supposed to phone the stores that she plans on visiting that day and tell them to de-peanut the place? Is she going to grow up and get peanuts outlawed because it's deadly for her? I am all for accommodations to help those in need -- but where is the line drawn?

IMO, this is the type of student that needs home schooling or private tutoring. Not as a punishment to this girl, but teachers did not go school so they can make sure students are washing their hands and desks and rinsing out their mouths.

YET-- is it possible for this girl to wear gloves and a mask to school? Oh wait, that would probably be too embarrassing for this girl...

Thoughts?
Clean freakism may not be the answer.

"The exact cause of someone developing a peanut allergy is unknown. Peanut allergy is more likely to develop in children who have 1st-degree relatives with atopic disease (allergies), and thus it probably shares genetic risk factors with other atopic diseases. A 2003 study found no link to maternal exposure to peanuts during pregnancy or during breast-feeding, though the data show a linkage to the amount of time a child is breastfed."

Peanut allergy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In medicine, the hygiene hypothesis is a hypothesis that states that a lack of early childhood exposure to infectious agents, symbiotic microorganisms (e.g., gut flora or probiotics), and parasites increases susceptibility to allergic diseases by suppressing natural development of the immune system. Other diseases, such as the rise of autoimmune diseases and acute lymphoblastic leukemia in young people in the developed world, have also been linked to the hygiene hypothesis. There is some evidence that autism is caused by an immune disease; one study implicates the hygiene hypothesis as a cause of autism."

Hygiene hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-20-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
"The exact cause of someone developing a peanut allergy is unknown. Peanut allergy is more likely to develop in children who have 1st-degree relatives with atopic disease (allergies), and thus it probably shares genetic risk factors with other atopic diseases. A 2003 study found no link to maternal exposure to peanuts during pregnancy or during breast-feeding, though the data show a linkage to the amount of time a child is breastfed."

Peanut allergy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In medicine, the hygiene hypothesis is a hypothesis that states that a lack of early childhood exposure to infectious agents, symbiotic microorganisms (e.g., gut flora or probiotics), and parasites increases susceptibility to allergic diseases by suppressing natural development of the immune system. Other diseases, such as the rise of autoimmune diseases and acute lymphoblastic leukemia in young people in the developed world, have also been linked to the hygiene hypothesis. There is some evidence that autism is caused by an immune disease; one study implicates the hygiene hypothesis as a cause of autism."

Hygiene hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ok, that's nice.
And?

Think the school did the right thing or went overboard?

Old 03-20-2011, 09:17 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Ok, that's nice.
And?

Think the school did the right thing or went overboard?
"Overboard", would be an understatement.

Last edited by ergohead; 03-20-2011 at 09:40 PM..

Old 03-20-2011, 09:28 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
The child should be home schooled. These crazy selfish parents are making all the other children adapt as though they have a health problem. While it is sad for the child it should not be the burden for others.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:32 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,451,759 times
Totally retarded. If I was a parent with a kid in that school, I'd initiate a class action suit against the district. And maybe leave a trail of peanut shells on the sidewalk. lol

Old 03-20-2011, 09:33 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
wow I had peanutbutter and jelly every day for twelve years at school and lived. I guess today they would throw me out of school.not to mention my 7 siblings. good to not grow up today so what happens if they find a kid allergic to cotton ? we all have to not wear underwear or walk around naked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.