Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:54 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times

Advertisements

Kids learn racism, if not from their parents then from the government..As long as their are programs offered just for "monorities", or just for immigrants, or just for special interest groups, THAT discrimination breeds racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 10:05 AM

13,419 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
That's all fine and respectable, but she is just a kid. One day she'll have the maturity to form opinions that shape her view of the world. Enjoy the utopia you live in now, because it may be short lived.
The premise of the thread is about kids. About kids and where racism starts. She has no need to ever be racist if she keeps forming her opinions based on the individual people she meets and ignores people who form opinions about individuals based entirely on their race. I don't see any reason she should change, even after she matures.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:05 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
I am not so sure.

I am 41.

My first husband is Hispanic. (Honduran)

I get more racist each day.

I just get sick of everything being about race.

Sick of the constance whining.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:11 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
The premise of the thread is about kids. About kids and where racism starts. She has no need to ever be racist if she keeps forming her opinions based on the individual people she meets and ignores people who form opinions about individuals based entirely on their race. I don't see any reason she should change, even after she matures.
Should and can are too different scenarios. She shouldn't change her ways when she gets older, but there's nothing to keep her from doing so. Her life experience will dictate that. Not mom or dad.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:21 AM

13,419 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Should and can are too different scenarios. She shouldn't change her ways when she gets older, but there's nothing to keep her from doing so. Her life experience will dictate that. Not mom or dad.
What life experience? I've had life experiences, and I'm not racist. Are you saying all kids - who by my observation do not start life as racists, are going to have some kind of life experience - not just prejudices passed down from their parents - that are going to make them racist? I'd be interested to know what that might be.

And Mom and Dad - as much as you discount their influence, can be instrumental in instilling values that would prevent this from happening, should they choose to do so.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:24 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,507 times
What do you mean by "racism"? I ask because it seems the word is now defined so broadly that it encompasses about, well everything. No doubt the word has been way too often misapplied and overused for political reasons, so much so that any power it had has long vanished. Its a yawner.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:27 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,315 times
Quote:
What life experience? I've had life experiences, and I'm not racist. Are you saying all kids - who by my observation do not start life as racists, are going to have some kind of life experience - not just prejudices passed down from their parents - that are going to make them racist? I'd be interested to know what that might be.

And Mom and Dad - as much as you discount their influence, can be instrumental in instilling values that would prevent this from happening, should they choose to do so.
yes, that is where he is going. that some event will happen in your life to dislike non whites, which he does. and that to dismiss that as not happenning, is silly.

of course his whole premise is a joke and shouldnt be taken seriously.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Believe it or not, I don't disagree with you. But to suggest that just because you raised your kids right and that your kids appear to be culturally accommodating does not mean that they won't go astray. Do you think that every wrong committed by an indidivual is the result of horrible parenting? If you do think this, i'd recommend that you expand your mind more.

Regrading Tropolis post that I dislike non-whites, ignore him/her. That person is one of the many on this forum who think they have me figured out.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
yes, that is where he is going. that some event will happen in your life to dislike non whites, which he does. and that to dismiss that as not happenning, is silly.

of course his whole premise is a joke and shouldnt be taken seriously.
Do you have anything to offer? I didn't think so.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:20 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,624 times
My journey becomeing a racist was a slow one. It began in 1974 when I was 20.
I had just started a specialized construction firm and began recuiting entry level blacks.
I had this little mimeograph machine and posted hundreds of help wanted adds making it clear
no experience was necessary and that discrimination would not be an issue.
It was only later that I recognized that time as the begining of a long transformative chain of events.
Events that resulted in changes that I can only describe as fantastic. And not in a good way.
Twenty years later a wrong turn on a cold Oakland night made ignoring the obvious impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies