Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Liberal dreams tend to get smashed by the Real World.
The Real World has made me cynical of this world, but it hasn't smashed my somewhat liberal thinking. The real world has taught me that alot of people are racist and that I shouldn't be like such persons. The real world, well, I live in it. I get stereotyped in the real world. It is disturbing and the only thing it does for me is hurt me. This is part of why I try my best not to stereotype. I don't see diversity as a bad thing. My own experience with diversity in my own childhood has been that of feeling welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 10:52 PM

785 posts, read 619,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
It starts when you have/need to blame someone else for your inadequacies.

or a scapegoat in general.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:56 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Very bad upbringings and cultural hegemony.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:14 PM

785 posts, read 619,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
pirate_lafitte
befriend

Why do you even bother to waste your time?,,,idiots are going to believe whatever they want.

If someone wants to look at me and based on nothing but skin color alone, believe they are smarter, more intelligent or moral than me; who is the real idiot???

I simply do what causes these types of people the most anguish, I succeed!!!

I send my children to the same schools and watch them excel in math and science and other academics.

I watch others people children go to the office because they can't control their own behaviors, I smile because my children have never had to take that trip, they get old fashioned home training.

I watch as the school becomes more diverse and I teach my kids to explore new friendships and to never look down or base their opinion on others because of what someone else said.

I laugh at the white women who cross the street when they see me coming, it no longer makes me bitter. I choose to laugh at their irrational fear.
I no longer get pissed when white men look at me bitterly for being able to afford to live in "their" neighborhood, I laugh and let them wallow in the "he only got it through "quotas and af b.s." as I mow my lawn and smile at them so hard they go back in their house.

I also delight in the fact that some white women and white men have stopped on our walking trail to make idle conversation with us or my next door neighbor who invites me to all his get togethers and we get drunk together.

I take the good with the bad, and part of that is that those who would make automatic judgments on you due to flawed and agenda based "science" are really the most flawed people and don't deserve my attention.
Your post is on to a good spirit, but I would like you to look at the bolded portions. Have you asked those particular "white men" if they are actually looking at you with a negative eye? How do you know what they are thinking?? have you asked them? if not, are you then the one that is making an automatic judgement? It seems you are stereotyping those whites as much as you think they are stereotyping you.

Something to think about.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:59 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I guess a group of white kids could form together and start picking on a black kid because that kid is a different color?
Actually, that has happened to me. Actually, when I was in the 6th and 7th grade, the vast majority of the kids who bullied me were White. One of them even shot me with a paintball gun, and thought it was a joke.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, that has happened to me. Actually, when I was in the 6th and 7th grade, the vast majority of the kids who bullied me were White. One of them even shot me with a paintball gun, and thought it was a joke.

Goes right back to bad parenting skills, or the entire lack of...

Old 11-10-2011, 12:03 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
I'll put it very simplistic. Babies and young children know of no racisim.

They see no difference in color.

Racisim can come from bad parenting, schools you attend, your friends and family who brainwash you to be racist. The enviroment in which you live, the area music, but i do not believe that babies born know the difference between black or white.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:06 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I disagree. I think its entirely possible to be in an environment where there are enough negative experiences with people of a different color for an individual to create their own opinions. That's why traveling is more important than "diversity programs" in my opinion. I'm a firm believer that putting an impressionable child/teen on an airplane and showing them the nation and the world does far more for cultural understanding than being stuck in an office that is filled with race-based quotas. That goes for schools as well. And yet we're expected to "like" other races by merely being in their presence. It's non-sense, but it's the governments way.
This is so true!!! Sad but true..

Old 11-10-2011, 05:58 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I'll put it very simplistic. Babies and young children know of no racisim.

They see no difference in color.

Racisim can come from bad parenting, schools you attend, your friends and family who brainwash you to be racist. The enviroment in which you live, the area music, but i do not believe that babies born know the difference between black or white.
Yeah, diversity is fine as long as it's not forced. Promoting through quotas and "sensitivity training" is counterproductive towards any genuine feeling of acceptance.

And how are you going to feel when your son/daughter brings home some diversity, saying "He/she is going to be coming to Thanksgiving dinner"? I suspect parents on all sides of the color line are generally not going to be ok with that. My daughter is still young but the rule will always be 'only white meat at the dinner table' in our house.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:09 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Yeah, diversity is fine as long as it's not forced. Promoting through quotas and "sensitivity training" is counterproductive towards any genuine feeling of acceptance.

And how are you going to feel when your son/daughter brings home some diversity, saying "He/she is going to be coming to Thanksgiving dinner"? I suspect parents on all sides of the color line are generally not going to be ok with that. My daughter is still young but the rule will always be 'only white meat at the dinner table' in our house.
I will certainly critique who my daughter decides to date. I will want to know how his grades are, does he play sports, is he clean cut, what are his parents like, does he have a car, a job, who does he hang out with, etc... but I will not critique the color of his skin. That will be the LAST thing on my mind...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies