Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 02:43 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,218,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
How about those who use the wrong words, such as "aloud" instead of "allowed" and "no" instead of "not?". That is almost as bad as being unable to spell.
Dos dat Meen I Kant Vot enny moor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 02:45 PM

72 posts, read 193,498 times
You are against medicare, social security,disabilty? Isn't that something that is deducted from our pay checks every week? Hmm, do you pay taxes? I am entitled to what I have put into after working all these years. People like you who are so against the government should just opt out of all their services. That would leave you with no hospital visits, no police protection, no fire protection, no public schools, no vacations on an airplane, no roads to drive on. Shall I go on?

Also, I do not know of anyone living it up on welfare, lol. Do I believe people receiving government assistance should vote, ABSOLUTELY YES. I am not denying problems in the system with people taking advantage of it, but the majority need the help, especially on Long Island where I live a family making under 80k could get assistance.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:23 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelamb3 View Post
You are against medicare, social security,disabilty? Isn't that something that is deducted from our pay checks every week? Hmm, do you pay taxes? I am entitled to what I have put into after working all these years. People like you who are so against the government should just opt out of all their services. That would leave you with no hospital visits, no police protection, no fire protection, no public schools, no vacations on an airplane, no roads to drive on. Shall I go on?

Also, I do not know of anyone living it up on welfare, lol. Do I believe people receiving government assistance should vote, ABSOLUTELY YES. I am not denying problems in the system with people taking advantage of it, but the majority need the help, especially on Long Island where I live a family making under 80k could get assistance.
Your post is a part, a big part, of the problem (or, rather, the attitude it conveys).

You can't seem to discern the difference between reasonable and rational levels of taxation, and spending on reasonable causes, and ludicrous extremes of both. Intellectually myopia - just blobs and light and shadow with no focus.

You have my sympathy.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
Whoa. It is not the politicians that are doing the corrupting, it is the business interests that are putting up the money to corrupt those officials.

The sold out politicians who are accepting the money and doing the wrong thing are definitely exacerbating the problem and they should also be held accountable.

The Tea Party is nothing more than a front for fat cats like Koch. They are not a friend to the middle class hard working American.

It is the influence of large campaign finance donations that is destroying our country and corrupting our laws and politicians.

You can thank Thomas and Scalia for their Citizens United vote. Both are hand in hand with the Koch brothers.

The Tea Party is nothing more than a cruel joke, and a bad one at that.
I offer that your post should get a pair of brain-glasses for it represents the ultimate in myopic thinking.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:39 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
I do not favor a caste system or poll tax. So yes, the recipient class should be allowed to vote.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:44 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Voting is not an inalienable right, but a government granted privilege.
If there was no government - no reason to vote.

Inalienable rights existed before the creation of government.
Quote:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
So "We" meaning a select bunch of oligarchs? Re-branded monarchy?

Natural and legal rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Natural and legal rights are two types of rights theoretically distinct according to philosophers and political scientists. Natural rights, also called inalienable rights, are considered to be self-evident and universal. They are not contingent upon the laws, customs, or beliefs of any particular culture or government. Legal rights, also called statutory rights, are bestowed by a particular government to the governed people and are relative to specific cultures and governments. They are enumerated or codified into legal statutes by a legislative body.
When 'legal' rights are bestowed in excess that wrongfully infringe upon inalienable rights, it is the legal rights that need to have boundaries controlled/ managed, not inalienable rights (of individuals) further infringed upon. The supposition of this thread is bass ackwards.

Representative democracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Confederation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm very clear about what side of that fence I'm on. Muddying the water to sell a pig in a poke isn't anything I'm willing to buy.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Parasite is not a word I would ever use to describe any human being.
It has been used before whith some sad consequences.
Go back to your history books, should you have any.
I would ALWAYS call a Parasite a Parasite. Shame them until they change their vile, disgusting parasite ways.

No Welfare, No Parasites.

The only good Parasite, is a ... well let's just say they are ALL evil - there are NO good ones. Starve 'em until they blow away or stand up like men and women, not worms and slugs.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:53 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
That is how democracies fail. Too bad we became a democracy.
We aren't a democracy, we're a democratic republic, but yes our government is definitely failing in its current state.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:20 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,787 times
Everyone should get one vote, period. Though I agree that there are some "welfare" abuses (lazy people that never want to work, single mothers knocked up as teens then living off the system, and many more, and what about the handicapped?), they are not the only ones on welfare.
Many very proud members of generations of highly contributory working and middle class people are joining the ranks of the poor for many reasons.
1): unemployment, lack of jobs, jobs which are only part-time and don't pay a living wage
2): exorbitant medical bills due to inflation, lack of affordable insurance, etc.
3): loss of equity due to the housing plunge, stock market crisis, investments going down the tube, and higher cost of living
There are some real disaster stories, even by folks that were once fairly affluent by most standards, and now they have to live on food stamps.
It's the economy... and the system that now favors the upper class and corporations who have bought out the politicians, and now there is a lot less opportunity (even with a college degree). You can't deny that for a minute.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:33 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
Everyone should get one vote, period. Though I agree that there are some "welfare" abuses (lazy people that never want to work, single mothers knocked up as teens then living off the system, and many more, and what about the handicapped?), they are not the only ones on welfare.
Many very proud members of generations of highly contributory working and middle class people are joining the ranks of the poor for many reasons.
1): unemployment, lack of jobs, jobs which are only part-time and don't pay a living wage
2): exorbitant medical bills due to inflation, lack of affordable insurance, etc.
3): loss of equity due to the housing plunge, stock market crisis, investments going down the tube, and higher cost of living
There are some real disaster stories, even by folks that were once fairly affluent by most standards, and now they have to live on food stamps.
It's the economy... and the system that now favors the upper class and corporations who have bought out the politicians, and now there is a lot less opportunity (even with a college degree). You can't deny that for a minute.
I'm sorry Frank, those people are apparently less than human and should be forced to starve to death. They should have had the sense not to get sick or lose their job or believe their real estate agent when they said they could afford a house on their income!

Oh, they also all can't keep their pants on and have too many children. We just have to make sure we keep comparing poor people and those on welfare to animals as often as possible so that we can justify stripping their right to vote from them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies