Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 08:34 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Wow, I'm surprised it took this long for someone to pull the race card!
You're the one invoking racial stereotypes here Andrea. You are invoking every single aspect of Ronald Reagan's "welfare queen" except for ethnicity, and it is offensive.

Quote:
The hyperbole discredits everything you say, FYI.
Really? These parts of that post come directly from what other posters have said in this thread:

"forced to starve to death"

"can't keep their pants on and have too many children"

"comparing poor people and those on welfare to animals" (parasite class?)

"we can justify stripping their right to vote from them"

Hyperbole? I see it as a pretty straightforward presentation of the arguments that have been presented in this thread. Note that at least one poster couldn't tell I was joking because I sounded too much like you and jeffington!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,543,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I'm okay with that.
I guess voter turnout can get worse than it is now.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:57 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Roosevelt's economic policies were flawed and only a limited success economically (although a great political success) given that the Depression lasted until the last year of his second term. I didn't know that Morgenthau said that but FDR's VP, John Nance Garner, fiercely opposed the New Deal policies and thought they made the Depression worse ; he became FDR's most prominent political enemy, arguing against the President's policies to Congress. No VP had mutinied against a President to that extent since Calhoun's mutiny against Jackson.

What turned a recession into a depression was the passage of the Smoot-Hawley Act of 1930, which caused a collapse of world trade and made the depression go worldwide. This occurred under Hoover and a hGOP Congress. Hoover, for the record, was no free marketer either ; he was a corporatist and protectionist. The most prominent free marketer was Garner, a conservative Texan, who was House Minority Leader, then Speaker of the House after the Dems took control in the 1930 election ; he was a candidate for the Dem presidential nomination in 1932 but was given the vice presidency as a compromise. If he got the nomination in 1932 or if the assassination plot against FDR had been successful, he would have won (as would any Dem) but would not have won a second term, even if the economy was recovering ; most likely someone further to the left like Long or Thomas would have won.

And universal health care is part of South Korean capitalism ; it does not exist in North Korea which is as close to a pure command economy as any on earth.
Perhaps the Korean people can contain themselves when it comes to demanding services paid for by "everyone". However, Americans, at least a significant section thereof, have proven they can't.

It would be a colossal failure here.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:15 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
That being said, is it time for a constitutional amendment taking that right away from people who have no skin in the game?
Define "skin in the game".

Old 03-21-2011, 11:30 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Define "skin in the game".
You seriously need that term defined. It means to be a player who has placed something of value at risk.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:34 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
You seriously need that term defined. It means to be a player who has placed something of value at risk.
Do your best to describe such things of value. You can't surely be implying "something of value" as related to wealth, or are you?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:37 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,069,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
That being said, is it time for a constitutional amendment taking that right away from people who have no skin in the game?
What does that even mean?

Who doesn't have skin in the game?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:39 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,069,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
You mean... like their actual skin?

Old 03-21-2011, 02:27 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,106,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
You're the one invoking racial stereotypes here Andrea. You are invoking every single aspect of Ronald Reagan's "welfare queen" except for ethnicity, and it is offensive.
I said NOTHING to indicate race of ANY kind. You are the racist if you are reading that much into my words so as to see racism when there is none.

Quote:

Really? These parts of that post come directly from what other posters have said in this thread:

"forced to starve to death"

"can't keep their pants on and have too many children"

"comparing poor people and those on welfare to animals" (parasite class?)

"we can justify stripping their right to vote from them"

Hyperbole? I see it as a pretty straightforward presentation of the arguments that have been presented in this thread. Note that at least one poster couldn't tell I was joking because I sounded too much like you and jeffington!
A huge problem with the "underclass" is that they have too many children. Are you going to deny that fact, and the fact that our tax dollars are being used to support said children, and the fact that having children too early in life stunts the rest of the person's life due to having a harder time getting an education or a full time job, thus the person chooses to just live on the dole? Can you honestly deny any of that? If you don't like to hear the facts, I suggest you put me on ignore.

I saw nobody discuss starving to death except liberals trying to use hyperbole to make their point, which only gets annoying since the "starving card" is played time and time again for no reason at all, except to be dramatic.

I saw no one compare poor people to animals. Again, the definition of a parasite rings true here, go back and look at the definitions I provided if you can't remember. Note that liberals also use this term to describe unborn children.

What is wrong with the last phrase you quoted? Isn't that what the thread is about?

Seriously, you need some good lessons in argumentation if this is all you can come up. Race card, hyperbole and sarcasm...no.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:31 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,128,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Both parties would lose a big amount of voters, but I think we'd have a more stable and fiscally responsible government. I'm against welfare in all forms. Including Medicare, Social Security, welfare, farm subsidies, state subsidies, etc. If it's a handout, it's a no-no in my book, and the federal government is overstepping it's Constitutional bounds. States, however, can do as they please in terms of government social programs.

Federal social programs only grow the underclass of society. Every year, more and more poor people enter the ranks, mostly from illegal immigration, offspring of illegal immigration, refugees, and poor legal immigrants who sponsor relatives.
Social Security is not welfare it is insurance every working american pays for. You can call it something else but you can bet your bottom dollar it aint a handout. Read up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies