Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:16 PM

570 posts, read 882,455 times

Advertisements

that is an awesome bill... Too bad the big bad bully education union, would never let this pass. They'd go out of business in all places except for the very inner cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 10:17 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
That's what I was just about to say! Where's my refund?

Stupidass idea of the week from the right. As a society, every single one of us has not only an obligation, but an interest in seeing our nation's children educated.
public school is indoctrination not education! from your friend on the right

Old 03-19-2011, 10:20 PM

334 posts, read 528,610 times
Horrible idea. It implies that those who do not utilize public schools deserve some sort of a rebate (or credit) for the property taxes they pay, which cover, in part, the public school system.

The problem with that is that there are plenty of other groups whose taxes pay for services from which they don't benefit. Not to mention, what about the people (who have spoken up in this thread) who have no children at all? Or what about the ones whose children are all grown up and they will be paying property taxes for the next 30 years with no children in the system?

Just a horrible idea.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Never goig anyhwere really as he could get any one to support the bill obviously. paul is in the polivtal dessert after the last election. Does anyone think that Reaid will even bring it to he floor ?Like many bill never sees the light of day.Besides with 49% paying no taxes are you going to give them money they never paid.More added to the non-payers really.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:22 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe404 View Post
Horrible idea. It implies that those who do not utilize public schools deserve some sort of a rebate (or credit) for the property taxes they pay, which cover, in part, the public school system.

The problem with that is that there are plenty of other groups whose taxes pay for services from which they don't benefit. Not to mention, what about the people (who have spoken up in this thread) who have no children at all? Or what about the ones whose children are all grown up and they will be paying property taxes for the next 30 years with no children in the system?

Just a horrible idea.
I can actually understand the point of the bill. Students who send their children to private schooling arent paying once like those who send them to public, or even those who dont have any.. They are paying twice.. Once for the public school, and once for private school. Is it fair they are double billed while everyone else pays once? Obviously thats up to those who make that choice to pay twice, but I wouldnt call the attempt to make everyone pay just once a horrible idea..

I disagree with the bill, but for other reasons, like the federal government shouldnt be involved with education, which makes this bill coming from Paul pretty ironic because he's anti big government. Its far from a horrible bill though.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
These people are already paying to educate the nations children.. Even if you give them a credit, it wont come close to the amount it costs to educate a child.. I dont like the idea, but I wouldnt call it a stupidass idea...

It should not cost more than 5 k a year to educate a student.

Say 20 kids in a class times 5 k = 100 grand.

Public Teachers income and benefits is way overpriced b.c of the unions and democrat handouts.

Most private schools spend less per student and get better results.

The average teacher pay for grades 8 and under should be around 40K including benefits. Of course it will adjust on economic location. That leaves 60 k a year for things like the building/principal/utilities/ etc/etc...

Don't believe the lie that more money will educate kids better.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:24 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Where will the money come from, will it just be taken away from public education? It sounds like a terrible idea to me.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:25 PM

334 posts, read 528,610 times
$40k teachers' salary? Really?? Where do you live, sir? Just curious.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Where will the money come from, will it just be taken away from public education? It sounds like a terrible idea to me.
I'm betting the idea is to allow people to send their kids to private schooling now that wouldnt otherwise be able to which would reduce the cost of public education and thus lower taxes.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post

??? Most of the money will not come from anywhere but the individual parents themselves.. They will just not have to send as much money to some morally degraded place on the east coast as before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies