Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 12:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I've always believed that if we still had a draft we wouldn't be in the last few wars. As long as we view our enlisted men and woman as expendable this will continue!
I don't quite follow this.

There are 58,195 names on the Vietnam Memorial (The Wall) in Washington, D.C.

A good chunk of those are there because they got a letter from Uncle Sam that started out, "Greetings".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 12:40 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
The Arab League secretary general, Amr Moussa, deplored the broad scope of the U.S.-European bombing campaign in Libya on Sunday and said he would call a new league meeting to reconsider Arab approval of the Western military intervention.
Arab League condemns broad bombing campaign in Libya - The Washington Post

Old 03-20-2011, 12:47 PM

58,959 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I don't know about that Frank, I think if some parents of an A student college age kid was forced to go off to war people would be screaming. I think enlisted soliders have the perception (not rightly so) of having less option/less going for them so to speak. I think that is why we (the American public)have been too complacent in this!
IMO, you don't know what you are talking about.

A college kids get deferments while they are in school. No one is forced to go off to war.

You second statement is also way off the mark. Why don't you do some research instead of coming on here and trashing our young enlisted solders.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:58 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So do the various leftist posters here support the current unprovoked attacks upon a sovereign nation?
Yes, because they are destroying Qadaffi's air defenses and thereby making any actual aerial missions that much safer (for NATO pilots) to say nothing of it being a GENUINE humanitarian intervention to keep protesters from being slaughtered.

For Bush and their cronies to get their oil in Iraq, they had to invent a threat, an invention you swallowed hook, line and sinker. I dont see any fabrication at work here, unless you see something I don't

Old 03-20-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Yes, because they are destroying Qadaffi's air defenses and thereby making any actual aerial missions that much safer (for NATO pilots) to say nothing of it being a GENUINE humanitarian intervention to keep protesters from being slaughtered.

For Bush and their cronies to get their oil in Iraq, they had to invent a threat, an invention you swallowed hook, line and sinker. I dont see any fabrication at work here, unless you see something I don't
Iraq was killing his own people too...I know it is a small point and all,especially considering a Dem wasn't POTUS....

So when do we bomb Bahrain?

Old 03-20-2011, 01:02 PM

58,959 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I don't quite follow this.

There are 58,195 names on the Vietnam Memorial (The Wall) in Washington, D.C.

A good chunk of those are there because they got a letter from Uncle Sam that started out, "Greetings".
Some facts:

"Myth: Most Vietnam veterans were drafted.2/3 of the men who served in Vietnam were volunteers. 2/3 of the men who served in World War II were drafted. [Westmoreland] Approximately 70% of those killed were volunteers. [McCaffrey] Many men volunteered for the draft so even some of the draftees were actually volunteers."

Statistics about the Vietnam War

Old 03-20-2011, 01:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Or how about Syria ? Government fighting back against their protesters and killing several.

Thousands protest in Syria where clashes killed 5 - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110320/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_syria - broken link)

Old 03-20-2011, 01:03 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Remember Kent State? Jackson State?
We fired on our own citizens, too.
Where was the U.N. when WE needed them?

Old 03-20-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Or how about Syria ? Government fighting back against their protesters and killing several.

Thousands protest in Syria where clashes killed 5 - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110320/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_syria - broken link)
Time to let loose a few hundred cruise missiles...

YeeHAW.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:08 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
IMO, you don't know what you are talking about.

A college kids get deferments while they are in school. No one is forced to go off to war.

You second statement is also way off the mark. Why don't you do some research instead of coming on here and trashing our young enlisted solders.
Our young enlisted soldiers knowingly go to fight wars for corporate reasons.
They do nothing to defend the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Some facts:

"Myth: Most Vietnam veterans were drafted.2/3 of the men who served in Vietnam were volunteers. 2/3 of the men who served in World War II were drafted. [Westmoreland] Approximately 70% of those killed were volunteers. [McCaffrey] Many men volunteered for the draft so even some of the draftees were actually volunteers."

Statistics about the Vietnam War
And, as I recall, being that it was my generation's war, a lot of people enlisted because they'd be cannon fodder otherwise. If you waited to get drafted, it was Army, and the real possibility of death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies