Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:38 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,338,105 times

Advertisements

Dumbest idea I've heard in a long while. In a free country we should be able to support candidates of our choosing with as much money as we like. I'm all for putting a record of every dollar given on the internet within 24-48 hours, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 01:04 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,220,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Dumbest idea I've heard in a long while. In a free country we should be able to support candidates of our choosing with as much money as we like. I'm all for putting a record of every dollar given on the internet within 24-48 hours, though.
I am all for free speech.

However it does have limits to protect the public welfare.

To wit:

Do you want to let some moron yell Fire in a crowded theater when there is no fire?

No limits means that ultimately, only the Billionaires will make our laws!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,020,396 times
No

Old 03-23-2011, 01:15 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,243,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Chill out, PLEASE, chielgirl! I don't want "a thread to my topic", I was merely providing a link to one that already exists (not mine, btw), and is quite relevant to this topic.

Honestly!

Did you note option #4?
she thinks she is JR mod

Old 03-23-2011, 01:17 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,243,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
1) Yep. I agree.

PVS, you want a thread on your topic, please start your own.
Hijacking any thread is not cool.
So you are reduced to playing Jr Mod.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:17 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,129,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
I believe that we need a constitutional amendment limiting the size of campaign contributions from any and all sources.

I also believe that all contributions should have to be reported and open for public review, at least those contributions made above $500.00 or so per person or group.

I think that this could go a long ways toward eliminating the corrupting influences of our political institutions and laws by special interest groups.

What say you?

1) Yep

2) Nope

3) No change

4) I got a better idea
I believe we need campaign reform but why do we have to go so far as to amend the Constitution?

Old 03-23-2011, 01:21 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,220,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I believe we need campaign reform but why do we have to go so far as to amend the Constitution?
Because of the recent Supreme Court ruling on the Citizens United case.

Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-23-2011, 02:29 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,129,300 times
Quote:
Because of the recent Supreme Court ruling on the Citizens United case.

Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't see the connection.

Quote:
Citizens United v Federal Election Commission, 130 S.Ct. 876 (2010), was a landmark decision by the United States Supreme Court holding that corporate funding of independent political broadcasts in candidate elections cannot be limited under the First Amendment. The 5–4 decision, in favor of Citizens United, resulted from a dispute over whether the non-profit corporation Citizens United could air a film critical of Hillary Clinton, and whether the group could advertise the film in broadcast ads featuring Clinton's image, in apparent violation of the 2002 Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act, commonly known as the McCain–Feingold Act.[2]

Old 03-23-2011, 02:32 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,338,105 times
Quote:
I am all for free speech.

However it does have limits to protect the public welfare.

To wit:

Do you want to let some moron yell Fire in a crowded theater when there is no fire?

No limits means that ultimately, only the Billionaires will make our laws!
You really want to compare giving money to a politician or party to yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater? If all contributions were made public people would see to it that politicians unduly influenced don't get the vote.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:44 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,874,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
You really want to compare giving money to a politician or party to yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater? If all contributions were made public people would see to it that politicians unduly influenced don't get the vote.
Only if people were smart, much less match the foxiness of those who can afford to manipulate and get around such "restrictions". I feel that the government shouldn't be bought, so money ought to be out.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies