Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 05:20 PM

308 posts, read 711,651 times

Advertisements

In the Wake of the Surge
By Michael J. Totten

Quote:
Quote:
We dismounted our Humvees and set up a vehicle checkpoint on the far side of the market area. Curfew was going into effect. Anyone trying to drive into the area would be searched.

Dozens of Iraqi civilians milled about on the streets.

“Salam Aleikum,” said the soldiers and I as we walked past.

“Aleikum as Salam,” said each in return.

They really did seem happy to see us.

Quote:
Quote:
“This is not what I expected in Baghdad,” I said.

“Most of what we’re doing doesn’t get reported in the media,” he said. “We’re not fighting a war here anymore, not in this area. We’ve moved way beyond that stage.

We built a soccer field for the kids, bought all kinds of equipment, bought them school books and even chalk. Soon we’re installing 1,500 solar street lamps so they have light at night and can take some of the load off the power grid. The media only covers the gruesome stuff.

We go to the sheiks and say hey man, what kind of projects do you want in this area? They give us a list and we submit the paperwork. When the projects get approved, we give them the money and help them buy stuff.”
Read the entire report here:

Michael J. Totten: In the Wake of the Surge

Wow! Hopefully General Patraeus will have more of these positive successes to report in September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 05:27 PM

652 posts, read 2,804,161 times
Next stop, Iran, and anybody else the Israel lobby doesn't like...

Old 07-26-2007, 06:35 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
I don't believe that Iran needs any external help in portraying it as a potential problem. They seem to be doing fine on their own.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:07 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
fresh hot anti-semitics, get your fresh hot anti-semitics here. don't be shy, there's plenty to go around...

Old 07-26-2007, 08:07 PM

308 posts, read 711,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post

What did you think of Michael Totten's report?

Old 07-26-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Libertarian View Post
What did you think of Michael Totten's report?
I thought it gave an excellent personal view of the on-the-ground actions taking place in Iraq. It would cause me to be optimistic that some good is coming of all of our efforts, except that I expect much of it to fall apart when we leave.

There frequently is a difference between the general public perceptions in foreign countries and their official governments. Unfortunately, the daily interactions mean little after we are gone, and much of the good will can dissipate when govt oppression is tightened. I'm expecting to see Shiite and Sunni (and to a lesser extent Kurds) clashing significantly, with Shiite's taking the power. I expect Sunni's to have fairly effective countermeasures, turning the country into an ongoing battle zone, with Iran supporting a Shiite official government.

And the portrayal in this article will be snuffed out in the back and forth damage taking place daily after we depart. They aren't the Democrats vs the Republicans, it is quite a bit different than that (any polls showing how many Shiite's voted for Sunni political candidates, and vice versa?).

Old 07-26-2007, 08:39 PM

467 posts, read 324,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
fresh hot anti-semitics, get your fresh hot anti-semitics here. don't be shy, there's plenty to go around...
I'm not sure it is anti-semitic to say that we do Israel's bidding. It just happens to be true. We pretty much fund their government and everyone in the region knows they are under our protection and also that our gov't would be inclined to destablize any country that threatens their existence. This includes Iran, Syria, Jordan, etc... How is it anti-semitic to point that out?

Old 07-26-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
I'm not sure it is anti-semitic to say that we do Israel's bidding. It just happens to be true. We pretty much fund their government and everyone in the region knows they are under our protection and also that our gov't would be inclined to destablize any country that threatens their existence. This includes Iran, Syria, Jordan, etc... How is it anti-semitic to point that out?
Getting a bit off course here but accuracy is important to me in any analytical discussion.

Israel's 2006 budget was about $59 billion, and US aid to Israel was $2.5 billion. Egypt's budget for 2006 was about $32 billion, and US aid to Egypt was about $1.9 billion. For the sake of accuracy, I believe these support payments are linked as a byproduct of their brokered peace agreement.

Also, I believe that the observation was made due to the original posting, and how the response was completely off the topic.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Getting a bit off course here but accuracy is important to me in any analytical discussion.

Israel's 2006 budget was about $59 billion, and US aid to Israel was $2.5 billion. Egypt's budget for 2006 was about $32 billion, and US aid to Egypt was about $1.9 billion. For the sake of accuracy, I believe these support payments are linked as a byproduct of their brokered peace agreement.

Also, I believe that the observation was made due to the original posting, and how the response was completely off the topic.
I agree that Iran is doing a bang up job of churning anti-Iran sentiment in our country with their rhetoric. I understand his comment may not have strictly been "on topic", but the relationship with a successful surge and the fear in our country that this administration is longing for a conflict with Iran may have sparked it. If the surge is viewed as a success (which all accounts to this point by the government agencies in the loop say it is NOT) then most people make the leap that Bush will start selling war against Iran. I hope he is smarter than that, but we'll see.

Here is an article siting total US aid to Israel is 1/3 of our total foreign aid budget - WRMEA: U.S. Aid to Israel

Old 07-26-2007, 09:53 PM

NEWtoCA - thanks for the super informative PM. I see what you mean about my source. I guess I didn't look to see where their point of view stemmed from.

I did find this source http://fpc.state.gov/documents/organization/11062.pdf that seems to be a report to Congress indicating what aid we're giving to Israel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies