Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:11 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,673,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
This is unpossible! Obama won the booby prize in peace.

Ron Paul was right about this pro-war charlatan in chief.
I will agree with you if this eventually turns into a drawn-out conflict that we are enmeshed in on all levels.

As it is now, the military leaders are saying that the initial mission has been accomplished, the next mission is beginning, and that we will reduce our role in coming days and let the European and Arab nations play the more prominent role.

I, for one, think this historic revolution toward democracy and potentially peace sweeping the Middle East / Northern Africa should not be quelched by a crazy dictator. If the people seek liberty as they have demonstrated, the world should support that.

btw - the word is "impossible", not "unpossible".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 11:11 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,213,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep. We should've demanded that they pay for the whole damn enterprise if they weren't going to participate.
not doubt send them the bill watch they will come in AFTER all the 5 countires that did go have eliminated every threat and pre-tend they helped too

they 5 countries that are carrying out the airstrike so far are
The United States, France, Britain, Canada and Italy make up the coalition carrying out the operation, called "Odyssey Dawn." Arab nations are expected to join later, said a U.S. military official on condition of anonymity.

not one arab country has yet too say or do anything it is only the countries that always seem shoulder most of the burden of fighting these wars. heck The United States, Britain, Canada forces are the same westren allied forces that stormed the beaches of normandy on D-day in WW2 to fight nazi germany and still are fighting the taliban in afghanistan in combat roles right now.

oh well both my grandparents fought for Canada in WW2 and The United States, Britain, Canada and do work pretty darn well together as we did liberate france from german occupation and italy though was allied with the gemans at the start of WW2.

The Allied land forces that saw combat in Normandy on 6 June came from Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States. The invasion was the largest amphibious operation in history.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:13 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,410,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Wars make strange bed fellows don't they?

I'm gonna put some popcorn in the microwave and sit back and watch his supreme holiness wiggle out of this one.

This is gonna be good folks.

Hell, he'll earn another Peace Prize I'm sure.
Maybe he can have an image of his Nobel Peace Prize painted on the side of the Tomahawk missiles he's lobbing into Libya..

Old 03-20-2011, 11:14 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,623,272 times
No its not like Iraq.they don't even think they have WMDs. Obama's problem is he has fip-flopped agin o what he ran o and critised Bush on.I would say Libya is mre like the situatio i Iran when we supported them or in afgabistan when we supported them aginst the russian. We don't even know who leads the rebls or what their intentions are or their power to achive that if known. We may endup with a taliban type group takign overr or another iran.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:14 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,355,408 times
Quote:
You're hijacking this thread with obsession over what news source he was presented on, but Fox has high viewers precisely because they are not balanced. They have an agenda and a lot of people want to hear that agenda. Don't be deceived.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! What a statement!

You know, I've never heard that assessment made here before. And I've certainly never heard it said so hypocritically within the same sentence.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:18 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,241,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I will agree with you if this eventually turns into a drawn-out conflict that we are enmeshed in on all levels.

As it is now, the military leaders are saying that the initial mission has been accomplished, the next mission is beginning, and that we will reduce our role in coming days and let the European and Arab nations play the more prominent role.

I, for one, think this historic revolution toward democracy and potentially peace sweeping the Middle East / Northern Africa should not be quelched by a crazy dictator. If the people seek liberty as they have demonstrated, the world should support that.

btw - the word is "impossible", not "unpossible".
unpossible is my more playful and sarcastic version of impossible, but it's nice to know that I have folks ready to jump on me for grammar.

I also think you should take a lesson from your disenchanted Obamabot friends and just keep quiet, because there's nothing to defend and no amount of lipstick on this turd will make it smell better. Even folks like upton are smart enough to realize Obama's peace rhetoric is a fraud.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:23 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,241,372 times
Bluefly, best get your liberal friends back on board with Obama's war plan.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:28 AM

4,988 posts, read 9,982,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Easy for the Arab League to "endorse" a no-fly zone while not contributing to the effort.

Basically, Obama waited for permission to strike, whereas GWB took the initiative. This is all political posturing on the part of the Obama Administration. I can't count how many times Secretary Clinton reiterated that this was an "international coalition" in yesterday's presser. My point? It was excruciatingly obvious that the word passed down to her from the President was to make sure she doesn't paint it as an American intervention.

Those who are quick to point out the other countries' involvement sure are slow to admit that the United States is providing far more support than any other country.

That sure sounds like a "US led" effort to me, just like Iraq.
Exactly. There is no strategic national interest for the US in Libya. If the Arabs want him out, let them do it. The Saudis and Egyptians have Billions of dollars worth of US military hardware. Why are we footing the bill for yet another military boondoggle again?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:28 AM

948 posts, read 1,383,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
If the USA invades a nation to secure natural resources vital to it's prosperity you would be okay with it?
Of course not. The fact is that France has relied on Libyan oil for decades. If they don't take a position with the winning side and help that side win than they stand to lose their economic structure. Up until now France has always chosen to support Kadifi, Reason being was he had the control of the oil. Now with the recent changes that are erupting in the region they are looking at who would be better for France. If they don't take a acting roll on one side or the other they stand to lose their fiscal stability. The position they have taken affords them a humanitarian argument, "were supporting the people not the dictator" , However if Kadifi comes out on top of this then in fact France has made a bad decision and will be financially destroyed. That is another debate. If the people win (used loseley) France knows that the new government will hold them in high regards.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:32 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,227,046 times
[quote=Bluefly;18358582]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
All of you are right on the money!!! Great, another anti-intellectual who has no clue how diverse ideas in universities are and dismisses a perspective because of it.
The liberal bias of higher education is pretty well-documented: "Across all departments and institutions, the Democrat to Republican ratio is 5:1, while in the “soft” liberal-arts fields, the ratio is higher than 8:1.These findings are generally in line with comparable previous studies." http://www.criticalreview.com/2004/p...diff_klein.pdf Compare this to the American citizenry: "Though a 2009 Gallup Poll shows that 40% of Americans identify themselves as Conservatives and only 20% as Liberals." Conservatives Maintain Edge as Top Ideological Group

"UCLA's Higher Education Research institute polled 32,000 full-time undergraduate professors. It found that 48 percent identified as "liberal" or "far left" while only 18 percent described themselves as "conservative" or "far right...Typically professors who prescribe to a conservative philosophy end up teaching classes in the hard sciences. " Liberal bias seeping into students' college education

"A new study by the National Association of Scholars has found that 70 percent of the summer reading books assigned to incoming college freshmen in the U.S. show a liberal bias...Only 2 percent of the books were considered conservative." Study Finds Liberal Bias in College Summer Reading Lists, Stirring Debate - FoxNews.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies