Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 08:03 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
You know Ron Paul's biggest challenge isn't as much going up against Obama in a general election but getting through the primaries. As we witnessed in 08, nearly the whole of the establishment GOP came out against Paul, derided him as a kook, they laughed and snickered at him on stage, while at the same time noting that his youthful supporters were something they wanted to tap into, and have attempted to do by co-opting elements of the Tea Party.

Funny isn't it?

Quote:
Americans are so entrenched into an interventionist mindset, so bent on exerting our national influence upon others, justified by rationalizing things as in our 'national interests' (which is essentially anything we lay eyes on) that to break from this is a major shift in position. Personally I have always wished we did mind our own porch more, but I remember vividly the resistance I encountered the last time I took to the streets in support of Paul. Yet I'll do it again in a heartbeat.
It frightens a LOT of Americans to think of this nation as NOT being in control,of not being THE power.

As so many have grown up knowing no different it is difficult for them to grasp being anything else but No.1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Got news for you: you pulled a switch for those people, but you didn't vote for them.
So I should do what? Write in Mickey Mouse? He is after all American born and old enough.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,751 times
While I don't agree with Mr. Paul on everything, he's spot on with this. If he were a bit younger, he would be a viable Republican candidate for POTUS. I might even think about voting for him.....

Old 03-21-2011, 08:05 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So I should do what? Write in Mickey Mouse? He is after all American born and old enough.
Even writing in Mickey Mouse is considered voting. Pulling a lever for someone you are barely lukewarm about is not voting.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

It frightens a LOT of Americans to think of this nation as NOT being in control,of not being THE power.

As so many have grown up knowing no different it is difficult for them to grasp being anything else but No.1.
I for one would welcome it and vote for the man/woman that makes that a major plank in their platform.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Even writing in Mickey Mouse is considered voting. Pulling a lever for someone you are barely lukewarm about is not voting.
Well, I disagree. And as long as we have the Electoral College an individual vote often has little meaning anyway.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:06 AM

A question for the moderate Dems: how are you going to convince your liberal friends to re-elect a pro-war candidate like Obama?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Well, I disagree. And as long as we have the Electoral College an individual vote often has little meaning anyway.
You described perfectly why Obama '08 supporters won't be showing up in '12.

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
See, I realize that you (and others like you) won't take anything but your preconceived notions and the propaganda desperately needed. If you think that US is leading the cause, like it did in Afghanistan and Iraq, then that only reveals your capacity to think.
Psst,the US government stated this is led by the USA at present....

Quote:
But when I see Obama's political opposition as speaking from both ends, it is quite telling what they are about. Or, perhaps, you will be happy if Gaddaffi would crush his opposition and things will be "rosy" again for Libyans and the rest of the world. After all, perhaps you were celebrating when he lied about the ceasefire and went about bombing?
I would be happy to not be involved in affairs that are not our business.
You seem to be an interventionist who supports forcing other nations to do as you see....
By the way,you do know that the rebels are still attacking loyalist forces right?That the 'coalition to protect our oil supplies' is only attacking Libyan loyalist troops even though the rebels are attacking civilian areas???

Quote:
Not doing anything is not the right international solution. It would be supporting the dictator. And doing something about it, would be interference, and against the dictator. The question is, and forget Obama for a moment (because I know how that goes), who do you want to support?
No...getting involved in the internal affairs of another nation is interventionist.

I support neither militarily.

Quote:
You described perfectly why Obama '08 supporters won't be showing up in '12.
??????????????????????????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies