Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 01:41 PM

74 posts, read 78,758 times

Advertisements

Today when I went to the mailbox, I received a check from the Treasury Department in the amount of $313.03 as a refund on my income taxes for 2010. Now here is the irony of the situation. The government took out absolutely no taxes on the income I made last year while working for Food Lion. Now how in the name of heaven does the government owe me a refund when no taxes were taken out of my paycheck.

I deliberately did my own taxes rather than use Turbo Tax or other tax service to be sure I would not get a refund since the government does not owe me one penny in the matter.

This clearly is another example of why the deficit continues to spiral out of control. By every right I should return it and have them apply it on the national deficit which I would do except for one injustice the government has done to us senior citizens--lying about the COLA rate in order to deny us that COLA increase for the past two years. Their way of figuring deliberately leaves out the most important items of a person's budget--food and energy prices which have been soaring way ahead of other prices. If they had calculated these costs a COLA raise would have been given.

After wrestling with the situation (I can sure use this money as my income is now on the poverty level, just SS and a part time one day a week job at a grocery store, plus approaching my 75th birthday) I have decided to correct the injustice in the matter.

I will deposit that check in a special account and draw monthly the amount of the COLA increase proposed in Congress which they voted down (one lump sum payment of $300.00) in payments of $25.00 a month) and draw from that account that sum and add it to my Social Security check.

In an e-mail to Messrs Boehner, Reid, Warner, Webb and Cantor, including all of the above comments, I added the following:

"Now I feel justice has been served for one senior citizen. Any other senior citizens that receive that unexpected check and have qualms about it I suggest they do the same.

"If you voted against the COLA increase I now can forgive you for such an action. I now consider this a just settlement from the U. S. government in the matter.

Sincerely,"

Sometimes it is hard to turn down a good thing but if you have an injustice done by the enitity that is giving you the good thing, maybe it is only fair that justice be served in the matter by accepting the gift although technically you have no right to it in order to correct the injustice.

Last edited by Editorialist; 03-21-2011 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: spelling and grammer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 01:45 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Editorialist View Post
Today when I went to the mailbox, I received a check from the Treasury Department in the amount of $313.03 as a refund on my income taxes for 2010. Now here is the irony of the situation. The government took out absolutely no taxes on the income I made last year while working for Food Lion. Now how in the name of heaven does the government owe me a refund when no taxes were taken out of my paycheck.

I deliberately did my own taxes rather than use Turbo Tax or other tax service to be sure I would not get a refund since the government does not owe me one penny in the matter.

This clearly another example of why the deficit is continue to spiral out of control. By every right I should return it and have them apply it on the national deficit which I would do except for one injustice the government has done to us senior citizens--lying about the COLA rate in order to deny us that COLA increase for the past two years. Their way of figuring deliberately leaves out the most important items of a person's budget--food and energy prices which have been soaring way ahead of other prices. If they had calculated these costs a COLA raise would have been given.

After wrestling with the situation (I can sure use this money as my income is now on the poverty level, just SS and a part time one day a week job at a grocery store, plus approaching my 75th birthday) I have decided to correct the injustice in the matter.

I will deposit that check in a special account and draw monthly the amount of the COLA increase proposed in Congress (one lump sum payment of $300.00) in payments of $25.00 a month) and draw from that account that sum and add it to my Social Security check.

In an e-mail to Messrs Boehner, Reid, Warner, Webb and Cantor, including all of the above comments, I added the following:

"Now I feel justice has been served for one senior citizen. Any other senior citizens that receive that unexpected check and have qualms about I suggest you do the same.

"If you voted against the COLA increase I now can forgive you for such an action. I now consider this a just settlement from the U. S. government in the matter.

Sincerely,"

Sometimes it is hard to turn down a good thing but if you have an injustice done by the enitity that is giving you the good thing, maybe it is only fair that justice be served in the matter by accepting the gift although technically you have no right to it in order to correct the injustice.
Hmmm. Fair enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies