Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:44 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,421 times

Advertisements

Is the Orlando Sentinel mainstream newspaper a clone of the National Enquirer? Here's the outlandish claim I just saw about how the Japanese quake changed water levels in FLORIDA.

The devastating earthquake that shook Japan caused a temporary jolt in groundwater levels throughout much of Florida, officials said.

The South Florida Water Management District reports that a network of groundwater gauges registered a jump of up to three inches in the water table from Orlando to the Florida Keys about 34 minutes after the quake struck on March 11.

...Changes in groundwater levels were also seen in South Florida after the Haiti and Chile earthquakes. Wdowinski said a 20-foot rise was seen after a 9.2 earthquake in Alaska in 1964.

South Florida water table rose groundwater levels - OrlandoSentinel.com

Is this for real? If so, why didn't what happened in Japan trigger the overdue (by ten years or so) Cascadian Subduction Zone earthquake on its way to Florida??? Or change any water levels in the Pacific Northwest?

I'm having a hard time believing this but, well, science wasn't my strong suit in school. Is this just supposition?

Inquiring minds want to know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Yes, a strong quake in one location could have repercussions in other areas of the world. We live on plates that are constantly pushing, pulling, compressing, and slipping against each other.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Florida needs more water. This would be a good thing.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:59 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
Very strange place we live on, isn't it!

Old 03-20-2011, 10:29 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,549,512 times
That's alot to loose, especially for homeowners whom live on the coast. The same thing is happening here in MA on the Cape, it's just disappearing little by little, how sad...actually the whole coast going North is losing feet...when I buy my new house it certainly won't be near the coast, but close enough to drive to!

Old 03-20-2011, 10:40 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Sounds too far fetched for me to believe.

I could see water levels changing in the Pacific though.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:47 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
Well, Florida is basically just a big swampy sand bar with a high water table poking out into the ocean. Earthquake effects could be more pronounced there than rockier & higher elevations.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:10 PM

9,137 posts, read 5,799,525 times
Several years ago, following a large Alaskan quake,
I was sitting outside smokin' a cigar on my back
deck overlooking the bayou and the canal I lived on.
All of a sudden waves started traveling down the
canal. At first I thought it was a boat wake from
the bayou, but there were no boats. The waves
got bigger and peaked at over two feet. Boats
were knocked around and several people had
boards knocked loose from their docks.
Nobody knew what it was and everyone was
quite startled. I found out that night that it
was a Seiche.
The energy traveled through the earth and came
up under South Louisiana. I saw on the news
peoples' pools were sloshing back and forth.
I'm glad I happened to be sitting there to see it.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:17 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Not being sarcastic....but what's so hard to believe about that? Water displacement is a relatively easy phenomena to understand.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:24 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,421 times
Thanks, Speleo, for your explanation of a fascinating water movement phenomenon I had never heard of before! Thanks also for the other comments and ideas.

I wonder if the earth scientist community has ever done a study on whether seiche-like events can be triggers for quakes so many thousands of miles from the originating event.

The idea that the quake in Japan is affecting water movement in Florida makes me wonder what OTHER effects it might be causing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies