Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 06:01 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,554,237 times

Advertisements

I feel for the child with the peanut butter allergy, but I think the general population of students are being discriminated against. When you look at the time it take away from educating the majority of the students, it is certainly not fair. Perhaps, that child needs to have teachers coming to the house. It is sad, however, it is too disruptive to everyone. I also think about the legal ramifications if that child gets sick at school. Accomodations are one thing, but this is way over the edge.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:03 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
A peanut allergy is more severe than a milk or strawberry allergy. If a child can die, that in means that extra precautions must be taken.

I used to work at a ColdStone Creamery. When a person with a nut allergy came in, I would take out EVERY item that had peanuts, clean the stone SEVERAL times...basically I went BEYOND the protocol. The child can die with 1 peanut.

I think a lunchable or a reduced priced lunch is not much to ask, or the school needs to make sure that nobody around her has peanuts.

They aren't gestapo; essentially they are doing exactly what you agree is sensible. They won't ban kids with peanuts...the blatant denial of education is in violation of law. They may make the kid throw away the food and may give the kid a free lunch (this happened at my school as a child).
How can you say something is not too much to ask for when you are not the one paying for it?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:44 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
There's only so much people can do. Every time you go out and step into your car, there's always the possibility of an accident. Yes, accident--as in "whoops". You can not pay attention for a split second, hit someone and take their life.

What does this mean? It means when you are in a car you need to make sure YOU know what you are doing, ALSO, it means that everyone else has to be aware of themselves and others around them.

Same for this girl. Some people are just defending it because it's a 6 year old girl? Again -- what do you advise she do later in life if her allergy is this severe. The parents aren't teaching her how to deal, they are forcing everyone around HER to deal with it for her.
We only want to be taken seriously. Many times my life has been put in danger because of someone just like the nay-sayers on this thread, who have NO IDEA what they are talking about, but instead display their ignorance and arrogance in a way that could kill someone.

Reasonable accomodations are made for kid's health and disabilities all the time.

All we want is reasonable accomodations and to raise awareness, so kids don't die.

People arguing that it is fake, exaggerated or that it shouldn't be treated as a life or death matter really do need to shut the **** up. Now.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
This child will face a day to day challenge for the rest of her life to avoid a peanut allergy reaction.
And she needs all the help she can get, especially as a child.

I think you would feel much differently if it were your child, or if you really had any idea what it is like to be in anaphylactic shock.

Too bad I can't make you experience that. It would be most educational for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
How do you stop a child from munching on peanuts during class because they don't know any better? Do you think a teacher can catch everything that happens in her or his classroom?
When it is a potential life or death situation?

They had better, or else.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:47 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
If 'peanut breath' is so dangerous why isn't this kid dead by now?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
If 'peanut breath' is so dangerous why isn't this kid dead by now?
There is some misinformation here.

The SMELL alone isn't going to do anything except possibly set off her physiological alarms.

But one tiny inhaled *particle* can be enough to put us into shock. A pinhead sized piece of cashew is lethal to me.

I can smell them from a distance and get a "pseudo-reaction." If I leaned over and smelled them closely, I would probably get some dust and have a very bad time.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:49 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
When it is a potential life or death situation?

They had better, or else.
Or else what?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
My daughter is on the small side. She's also a highly finicky eater. Said daughter loves nuts of all sorts. I'm really sorry for anyone who has a nut allergy but I would still put my daughter's needs for high quality food above my desire to accommodate another child's overly insane digestive system.
Even if it killed someone else's child?

Seriously?

What is wrong with you?

Quote:
I can't imagine how the people in the OP handle the real world. I also can't imagine how anyone thinks they have the right to ask the rest of us not to consume a good source of food because they have problems. If you have a nut allergy you need to figure out ways to avoid nuts. That solution should not be to restrict what my family eats.
We live in constant danger from people like you, who don't take our illness seriously and selfishly refuse to make even the most reasonable accomodation to keep from killing someone.

We're already avoiding nuts of the eating kind, it's the nuts of the posting kind that present a danger.

Shame on you.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:58 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
I'm a teacher. That's my job. I get to paid for classroom management. Snaking in the classroom is RULE 1. This isn't advance theories of education. This is simply basic classroom management. If your kids have that much time to pull something out of their backpacks, hide it, and finish...you have WAY to much lag time in the classroom. If you can't hear crunching sounds and see your kid eating...you're not paying attention to the class. It's pretty easy. Trust me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLMRLdEVtvE&NR=1

Old 03-28-2011, 08:13 AM

40 posts, read 38,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Living in an over-sanitized world maybe? Someone who is never exposed to anything would most likely have a terrible immune system and react to small problems in a severe way due to lack of exposure to anything.
lol because the world is so clean is it? That must be why we don't have so many children suffereing from asthma. That must be why we don't have pollutants in the air either Why is it that some are trying to talk round this girls issue? I wonder why/when parents teaching empathy went out of fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies