Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
If your child is attending a public school, then the administration has the right to tell you not to bring peanuts into a classroom. Most lunchrooms today have a peanut-free table to accomodate kids with allergies, but classrooms are a different story.

I do find it hard to believe that you can't, if you had to, find an equally healthy alternative to peanuts for your kid.

What is truly sad is your lack of empathy for those who suffer with these allergies. I am not stating that peanuts should be abolished, but it won't kill people to be a bit more understanding. Maybe most people are justt too lazy, or hateful or, maybe you are just a miserable person and for that, I am sorry.
I am empathetic. I don't let my daughter bring nuts into school which frankly sucks for her. I'm just not sympathetic with what I think are over the top and irrational requests that do not work well. If literally breathing in someone else's air is that dangerous to you or your child that's your problem and your child's problem not mine. The entire world should not be inconvenienced at every turn because you have a medical condition.

Do you really think it rational to go around demanding that others wash their mouths out or refrain from eating a common food item in their own homes?

Turning that into everyone who has that reasonable viewpoint is a lazy, miserable, fundamentally evil person is NOT the way to get your point across nor is it the way to get people to take you seriously. At some point you just sound like a lunatic.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
Eleanora,

I think that it would be fair to say that almost all parents of kids with severe allergies take personal responsibility for the safety of their kids and simply ask for basic precautions to be taken. BTW, I don't agree with what this particular school is doing.

The problem that some people have is the cavalier attitude that you have decided to adopt. Wouldn't it be easier and make you feel better if you did your small part in keeping innocent kids safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Strel,

I am not making fun of shock or allergies. I am making fun of someone who is santimonously screaming at reasonable questions on a thread on the net. You might want to figure out the difference. You are not "remedying ignorance." You're just yelling.

After a while no one listens to you.

If you have allergies to a common food product that could potentially kill you, YOU have to take responsibility to cope. Not us. YOU. We're willing to offer some help but I don't think it fair to literally ask a child to wash their mouths out a few times a day or lose classroom time at every turn because another child is that medically fragile. That's hardly an ignorant or irrational statement.

Frankly the parents in the OP come across as just as nuts as you do.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:28 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Strel,

I am not making fun of shock or allergies. I am making fun of someone who is santimonously screaming at reasonable questions on a thread on the net. You might want to figure out the difference. You are not "remedying ignorance." You're just yelling.
Your comments are extremely offensive and demonstrate a popular and dangerous set of misconceptions that cause people - including people I have known personally- to DIE.

At the very least, I hope you are now motivated to learn more about this, because you really have no clue.

"gastric quirk" - that's like telling a paraplegic to stop being a sissy and get up and walk.

You seem to have no idea how uttely offensive your posts are.

Just because anaphlactic shock isn't within the realm of your limited experience doesn't make it not an issue for those of us that suffer from it.

And you STILL don't grasp my stance on the school rules.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Allergies are always serious to those who have the allergy. For those with no allergies, why should they take other people's allergies seriously? It is not their problem, nor should they be expected to change their life to accommodate those with allergies.
I see a guy walk out into the street in front of my car. He doesn't see me coming. The light is green for me.

Clearly I have the right of way, it's his responsibility to not walk out in traffic without looking.

So I run him over and he's dead. After all, he was in my way, I'm late to work and shouldn't have to stop for him since it's "his responsibility."

Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 AM

Well, in my previous posts I made it clear that I don't agree with the schools policies.
As far as what people do in their own homes, go for it. Take a peanut butter bath, I don't care. But, if you are in school and in a situation to choose peanuts or not, in an effort to keep a child safe, I would hope that the choice would be obvious. I am sure that your child would be just fine with something other than peanuts. If they were not, than look inward. Maybe you are teaching your kid exactly what you think that these other parents are asking you to do, have the world revolve around them. Get it?

Quote:
I am empathetic. I don't let my daughter bring nuts into school which frankly sucks for her. I'm just not sympathetic with what I think are over the top and irrational requests that do not work well. If literally breathing in someone else's air is that dangerous to you or your child that's your problem and your child's problem not mine. The entire world should not be inconvenienced at every turn because you have a medical condition.

Do you really think it rational to go around demanding that others wash their mouths out or refrain from eating a common food item in their own homes?

Turning that into everyone who has that reasonable viewpoint is a lazy, miserable, fundamentally evil person is NOT the way to get your point across nor is it the way to get people to take you seriously. At some point you just sound like a lunatic.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Eleanora,

I think that it would be fair to say that almost all parents of kids with severe allergies take personal responsibility for the safety of their kids and simply ask for basic precautions to be taken. BTW, I don't agree with what this particular school is doing.

The problem that some people have is the cavalier attitude that you have decided to adopt. Wouldn't it be easier and make you feel better if you did your small part in keeping innocent kids safe?
What "cavalier attitude?"

I've made fun of three people here: Strel for his over the top screeching accusations and the parents in the OP for what are their over the top demands on other children.

Your point?

No one's arguing against reasonable precautions. But I'm not going to refrain from eating nuts in my own house or feeding them to my child because someone else has an allergy. I'm not giving away my cats, giving up eggs or getting rid of flowers because someone else has an allergy.

At some point there is an intersection between the needs of society and the needs of the individual. When you start to argue that people have to literally wash out their mouths around you, you start to cross it.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Your offensive and cavalier attitude. "Gastric quirk"?
You have NO idea.

Quote:
No one's arguing against reasonable precautions. But I'm not going to refrain from eating nuts in my own house or feeding them to my child because someone else has an allergy. I'm not giving away my cats, giving up eggs or getting rid of flowers because someone else has an allergy.
And NO ONE ASKED YOU TO.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:36 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Anaphylaxis can be triggered by many food allergies. I mentioned dairy allergies earlier and another poster dismissed them by saying they're not as serious as peanut allergies but this makes one wonder; if a student has a severe dairy allergy will the school accommodate him or her by banning dairy products?
i could see that happening.

Quote:
The study also documented four milk-allergic individuals who died after accidental exposure to a dairy containing product and two who had eaten shrimp.
Food allergies: One bite can be deadly - CNN
seems like shrimp would be comparatively easy to avoid, but dairy would be a nightmare.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:37 AM

Ok, so what are we talking about here? I am pretty certain that we are talking about basic precautions, not exteme. Most people do not agree with the exteme precautions taken at that school, so please, give it a rest.
Enjoy your peanuts!

Quote:

I've made fun of three people here: Strel for his over the top screeching accusations and the parents in the OP for what are their over the top demands on other children.

Your point?

At some point there is an intersection between the needs of society and the needs of the individual. When you start to argue that people have to literally wash out their mouths around you, you start to cross it.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:37 AM

40 posts, read 38,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
fewer than half as many adults smoke as did 45 years ago:
Decades-Long U.S. Decrease in Smoking Rates Levels Off - washingtonpost.com
Thank you for that information. I am glad the levels have reduced. Again I'm sure the smoking rate has to have decreased in England too. However I would like to know this compares with countries that are not industrialised. The fact that our rates have reduced from what they were does not tell me much.

Quote:
the only way your earlier premise -

-would make sense would be if the infants eliminated from the equation by this high rate of premature deaths were allergic to something.
so you do indeed imply exactly that.
No. That was not a premise but rather an example of why what I was responding to was hard to answer. It does not imply such a thing. It implies as I'm sure I've explained in another post that it makes it harder to isolate the cause. I know in England we have low infant mortality rates and usually these deaths have documented medical causes. This may be harder to do in a third world country. It would be speculation to say in every case what is causing the deaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies