Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:36 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
This is exactly how a minority of the population can completely control a majority.

It skrews everyone.
Not in a Libertarian population.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:41 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
This is exactly how a minority of the population can completely control a majority.

It skrews everyone.
Well it is complicated. The allergic child has become untouchable and sacred, which is all well and good if mamma bear isn't exaggerating a wee bit.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:36 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
The bureaucratic ethos at work - many legs and hands - but no brain.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:39 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
The one student who has the allergy is the one who needs to do the wiping and rinsing not everyone else because s/he is the one with the problem.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:58 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Imagine when she goes to college ?
What about job interviews ?

OMG..airplanes are full of peanut/peanut vapor.

She's going to have a hard life ahead of her.
She'll end up lonely and isolated.
And she can never visit Georgia or Texas. Can you imagine never being allowed to visit the Jimmy Carter Library? (ahem, I can!)

Shame, I tell ya, shame.

Shut down the whole peanut industry, I say!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:03 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Where were all the peanut allergies 20 years ago? This whole thing makes no sense to me...

Old 03-21-2011, 05:09 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
My kid has a horrible poison ivy allergy....should his school be on a daily lookout to keep the campus poison ivy free? Hire a gardener just for him???

Old 03-21-2011, 05:11 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Well the thing is apparently her case is "severe" and the 'smell' of peanuts can be 'fatal'. Ok. That's fair enough .. but why can't she walk around with a mask/gloves? What is this teaching her? How to just make other people accommodate her? It's sad.. she's only in 1st grade
This is downright mean. Do you know what it's like running around wearing a respirator all day every day because people won't help you out?

People don't need to be eating peanut substances at school and this kid needs to breathe, unless you want them to suffer even more.

I have a hidden disability, I'm allergic to aldehydes and petrochemicals. Ask me if my life is hell? It is.
My reactions to perfumes, fabric softeners, petrol and other substances that seem benign to others can cause me severe trauma, can put me into anaphylaxis.

Yes, what you wear can affect others.

I can no longer go to the theater, symphony, parties, etc. I would rather forego them than put myself in danger where I get so sick that I can't get out of bed for what might be days depending on how badly I get poisoned.

I'm an adult and I used to wear a respirator to the office. It's no fun and people being as mean as they are, harassed and made fun of me.
People would spray my cubicle with perfume to watch me fall down.
I was on oxygen for several hours a day and had a very strict health related regimen that I had to follow.

Luckily, we have a fragrance-free policy where I currently work and my health is ok; I also have a window that opens to provide a fresh air source.
My health can change at any moment; I'm an adult, it's easier for me to control my environment than it is for a little kid.

You think it's funny and that the kid is somehow at fault. It's simply not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
The one student who has the allergy is the one who needs to do the wiping and rinsing not everyone else because s/he is the one with the problem.
I'm sure the kid doesn't have peanut particles on their body.
How does your solution work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Where were all the peanut allergies 20 years ago? This whole thing makes no sense to me...
They were around, but now peanut particles are in everything; they're used as filler.
They weren't so much in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Totally retarded. If I was a parent with a kid in that school, I'd initiate a class action suit against the district. And maybe leave a trail of peanut shells on the sidewalk. lol
You would purposely and maliciously cause harm to another person? Really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Well it is complicated. The allergic child has become untouchable and sacred, which is all well and good if mamma bear isn't exaggerating a wee bit.
I'm sure they have medical documentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
My kid has a horrible poison ivy allergy....should his school be on a daily lookout to keep the campus poison ivy free? Hire a gardener just for him???
I'm sure your kid can avoid poison ivy in the classroom, right?

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-21-2011 at 05:37 AM..

Old 03-21-2011, 05:35 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Her allergy does sound very severe and I'm not sure, as a parent, how I would handle it. Since, in my state, neither my husband nor I are qualified to homeschool, I'm sure we'd have to go the way of private tutors all day. And what if we could not afford that?

My son is 16 and is allergic to peanuts/tree nuts/shellfish. We found out about his peanut allergy at 9 months of age. Believe me, it has NOTHING to do with overcleanliness as I am one of the worst housekeepers/cleaners you'd ever meet. He is "atopic" meaning he has eczema and asthma and the allergies go hand in hand with that. His shellfish allergy developed at age 12 after eating shrimp and crabmeat for years.

Fortunately, he is not sensitive to smell or airborne. Skin contact is his biggest problem.

But not sure what I would do if I had a child who was so sensitive like this.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:47 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Hers is apparently too severe to be in the public system. Why should others have to live such a protected life because of her? No PB&J's wow that would suck.

It's these sorts that get peanut products removed from McDonalds because they will sue if everyone else has a choice they enjoy. I really have no need for people like this around me. Steer clear of me I have peanut butter in my kitchen. I buy peanuts and I will even have peanut breath after I eat Peanut M&M's... don't get downwind of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies