Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:01 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Regular varieties of peanut butter contain trans-fats. Per serving, they can report zero but if a child is eating a peanut butter sandwich every day they are getting a decent dose of trans-fats per week. Simply Jif (my favorite) and others like it have removed the hydrogenated oils and now use palm oil which removes the trans-fat, so those types of peanut butter are much better for you. Trans fats are a BAD idea.

Anyway, I love of a good PB&J sandwich and I prefer it the UNHEALTHY way: Soft, white bread, some grape jam, and lots of PB. Not the best lunch in the world but certainly portable and almost dessert like.

Put it on whole-grain wheat bread, use "real" peanut butter, and some fruit spread---not so yummy.
There is nothing wrong with trans-fat either. It occurs naturally in the plants and animals we consume. Milk, (either whole or 2% or more) contains natural trans-fat, but also a great deal of calcium and other minerals and vitamins that aid a growing child.

Peanuts are rich with monounsaturated fatty acids that help to lower your LDL and increase your HDL. They also contain antioxidants, minerals, fiber, and vitamins that out way the small amount of trans-fat added through vegetable oil in peanut butter.

I never developed a "sweet tooth", I preferred my peanut butter sandwiches without jam or jelly. Just peanut butter and bread, and I was not particular to the kind of bread used.

What is "fake" peanut butter made from, Tofu?

Old 03-28-2011, 12:03 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
you missed my original point. such foods aren't common in many areas. the corner store isn't going to stock all natural, low sodium meats (many may not stock any meats at all beyond a pack of cheap hot dogs or bacon). in such a case, the PB is preferable, even the less healthy versions. trust me, I've shopped in stores in low income areas and a lot of them are truly lacking in healthy food options.
It is one of the strange things about our society.

One postive thing that can come out of having a potentially deadly food allergy is learning how to cook decent food yourself.

I'd probably never have learned to cook if I hadn't had to do it to avoid the college cafeteria, that tried to kill me several times.

The last time was nearly getting killed by a bowl of cornflakes, out of a bin that had not been washed since it held meuslix the week before...

So you learn not to eat cereal out of bin dispensers...or anything else out of them either.

Ever been to Fresh Market? They have that aisle with all the nuts and grains and stuff in plastic bin dispensers.

I don't go down that aisle.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
What if a Peanut Plant exploded ? Should they evacuate the city ?

Old 03-28-2011, 12:06 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Yes, the ADA's definition of "disability" is pretty broad. It has to be, because people's medical conditions are so specific and individual.

They even recognize alcoholism as a disability if the patient has been in rehab for it, though I can't think of what a reasonable accomodation for THAT would be...
look at it this way, if the school must provide a FAPE according to the ADA, why not have such a child privately tutored at home or an appropriate location and bill the district? probably cheaper in the long run than bringing in specialized drug...er I mean peanut sniffing dogs and constant scrub downs. I haven't read anything so far that states a school must make accommodations to allow an allergic child to attend a physical school, only that anyone w/ a disability be provided w/ a FAPE, which can be accomplished w/ tutors. if I had a child this ill, that's what I would do.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:10 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
look at it this way, if the school must provide a FAPE according to the ADA, why not have such a child privately tutored at home or an appropriate location and bill the district? probably cheaper in the long run than bringing in specialized drug...er I mean peanut sniffing dogs and constant scrub downs. if I had a child this ill, that's what I would do
Nobody here is arguing for that level of regulation.

Because we don't make people become shut-ins when reasonable accomodations can be made for their disability.

It's really not THAT hard or cumbersome to follow the FAAN stuff, and really no excuse not to, since it is potentially a life-or-death situation.

We have the ADA, in part, to make disabled people more able to assimilate into the world.

You have to understand - the child is NOT ILL 99.99% of the time, or even ever, as long as they are not exposed.

That's part of the problem with public perception as well. I look comepletely healthy and normal until I get a cashew, then I look like a bloated lobster gasping for breath.

Too often, it has to get that far - or worse - before some people will actually believe it is a legitimate medical condition.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:11 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
What if a Peanut Plant exploded ? Should they evacuate the city ?
That would certainly be a bad day for all those peanut sniffing dogs. Those poor exploited puppies.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:45 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRAu9...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_o3a...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies