Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:56 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times

Advertisements

Petraeus' Propaganda War on Congress: The Truth Behind His Testimony

Rep. Mike Honda: Petraeus' Propaganda War on Congress: The Truth Behind His Testimony

Quote:
Is it a surprise, then, to learn that psychological operations were used on U.S. senators during their visits to Afghanistan, as revealed by Rolling Stone magazine? Was the Pentagon's war strategy so ineffectual that a propaganda war was required?
A scathing piece by D- Mike Honda of California which attacks our prosecution of the war in Afghanistan, which it seems from almost any angle is dismal. The article has some fairly typical red meat for liberals but also attacks the Obama administration for its continuation of this, yet another dismal quagmire of a screw up that is the current Afghan war.

For those of you who actually take the time to read this one page article, I must ask, is the one method (and you'll know which one I'm talking about) seem like the most insane thing you have ever heard? It just seems so outlandish to me that I had to read it twice thinking they were pulling my leg.

Anyway, at least some folks on the left are finally standing up to sound off against this administration and the enormous cost incurred by the war and its most bizarre modus operandi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 09:51 PM

Almost forgot this snippet.

Quote:
We must come to realize, as the Rand Corporation has pointed out that policing, intelligence and negotiations -- all critically underfunded and underdeveloped in Afghanistan -- is what works best in undermining and dismantling threats of this nature. But this is just the sort of move discouraged by the defense industry -- which prefers big-ticket military equipment, like the Joint Strike Fighter.
Again, just who is running the show of US foreign policy, the RAND corporation or seasoned military strategist?

Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
We had at least on thread on this weeks ago, possibly more.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
We had at least on thread on this weeks ago, possibly more.
My bad, I have a job and don't have all day to sit and monitor the threads from weeks ago. Perhaps I'll ask you what search terms to use the next time I double check.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:15 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
The Russians are sitting back and laughing their asses off!

They have been there and done that, got the t-shirt.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Russians are sitting back and laughing their asses off!

They have been there and done that, got the t-shirt.
You know, it does sound reminiscent of the waning days of the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan doesn't it. I believe they too were considered the "Mayors of Kabul".

Old 03-20-2011, 10:19 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,971 times
We hear so little about what's going on over there that it has to make you wonder.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:22 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
I think it's old and common knowledge that the Afghan War was poorly conceived, poorly managed, and largely ineffective from the moment that Bush and the GOP LIED to engage this country there. President Obama discovered that the mismanagement and problems were far, far worse than anyone could've imagined. Blame lies with Bush.

Credit Obama for at least trying to get something positive out of it. It was a failed Bush effort. I think we should stop trying to resuscitate it, admit that Bush failed, and get the hell of there.

It will go down as a collosal Bush failure, nevertheless.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I think it's old and common knowledge that the Afghan War was poorly conceived, poorly managed, and largely ineffective from the moment that Bush and the GOP LIED to engage this country there. President Obama discovered that the mismanagement and problems were far, far worse than anyone could've imagined. Blame lies with Bush.

Credit Obama for at least trying to get something positive out of it. It was a failed Bush effort. I think we should stop trying to resuscitate it, admit that Bush failed, and get the hell of there.

It will go down as a collosal Bush failure, nevertheless.
Was poorly managed or IS poorly managed still? Is it bad that Afghanistan was fumbled out of the gate, yes it is. Is it any better that after a decade it continues to be ran like a pop warner football game where no one keeps score, no one has a rule book, and no one really gives two flips, while two drunken fathers on opposing teams try to remain upright long enough everyone to get tired and go home?

Obama said he was going to fight the good war, the right war and after all is said and done, he hasn't accomplished any more than Bush did. So who is more the fool, the fool or the fool who follows him?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:39 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
There is no end game in Afghanistan. No progress has been made in the 9 years since the initial invasion. The only rationale for staying is that leaving will create a vacuum letting Taliban and terrorist types set up bases unmolested in the country. Insurgents in Pakistani bases would move back across the border into Afghanistan - a decentralized tribal county where Kabul can only control Kabul. Better to pull out, keep an eye on the situation and lob bombs in as necessary. Playing cat and mouse and whack a mole with insurgents in the mountains is a no win situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies