Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:20 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,171,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
I am southamerican, came to this country 11 years ago, I have one masters, working on another, have a BSEE. Trust me , in my field there is plenty of opportunity, but you have to be willing to study A LOT. There are plenty of jobs for americans, actually I get job offers all the time, but they need US Citizens to take them. And as they can not find any the companies offered them to me. I make circa to 6 figures.Now, if you are an american, are you willing to study 4-5 years, get a couple of masters degrees and invest a lot in your education. If you do, please apply for these jobs.

It is becoming evident that there is a segment of our population that carries a strong entitlement mentality, not for public assistance but that since they are white and or American born, they are entitled to the best jobs, even if they have a 10th grade education. Meanwhile some kid in the 11th grade in Sweden or Peru who is studying for their AP Calculus exam with intentions of creating the next software package to allow some American to sit back and complain online about jobs, is putting in the effort to make the dream happen instead of standing around waiting for it to be granted to them.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:26 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,370,464 times
I want to add something very respectfully: I am hispanic and child free BY CHOICE. I don't agree with people (specially undoccumented people) having kids that they can not support by themselves and I dislike the welfare systems HOWEVER....

A lot of these so called ANCHOR BABIES are fighting in 2 wars right now. Hispanics are a huge segment of our armed forces. THAT IS LOVE. When you put your life in the line for a country, that is my definition of LOVE.

So, that is all I am going to say. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
How many american workers ready to clean dishes or to make Chicken Tikka Masala at a Pakistani Restaurant for example. also many workers say from example India are working at USA office site of Indian company. Indian IT firms have offices all over USA. There are thousands of Americans also working in different different countries. Capitalism-free market-freedom
Part of the problem with that however is that it is not legal to pay less than minimum wages to an American. And when you hire Americans, you must pay into social security taxes, pay into workman's compensation. And Americans cannot live off those very low wages.

Neither can the foreigners live off those very low wages which is why they are pumping out babies in order to get food stamps, WIC and free housing so they can accept impossibly low wages.

The foreigners show up to Emergency Rooms for their free health care because they cannot pay for even a cheap doctor's office visit on the less than minimum wage they're eager to accept.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,171,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Are you saying no Americans will take minimum wage jobs with very high unemployment?
I said no such thing, nor did I even remotely imply it.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:24 AM

4,321 posts, read 5,122,679 times
Quote:
Should congress make a federal law, stating that no foreigner should be allowed to work or get an work visa until all American jobs are filled?
This is all about corporations hiring the best talent available from around the world to fill mid to upper level technical positions (mostly).

America is failing to produce enough talent, college degreed or not. If more Americans had the right stuff, more would be hired. And maybe our unemployment rate would be 8% instead of 9%.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:42 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,429,573 times
Quote:
Where do immigrants get off they are better than Americans?

I never said that I am better than you or any other American. I met my husband while he was in the Army stationed in Germany. I came over here in 1999,( at Fort Sill, Oklahoma ) new to this culture and without a college degree. I work at Macys! If I was so great, would I work at Macy's?
Anyhow, I am in school right now to become a PTA ( physical Therapist assistant ) so hopefully I can step it up in a near future.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:51 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,429,573 times
Quote:
Its sad that as some immigrants wrote here of how they are so much better.
Then, they are ignorant. This is the greatest county on earth, if it was not, all these immigrants would not move here, right? I am from Sweden, and I love my country. We have just as much freedoms as you, give or take , but after living here for 12 years, I feel like this is my home now. My husband is a US Army veteran and served for 10 years. We have a beautiful son and I do not want to move back to Sweden any time soon. I love it here and the opportunity's are endless, compared to Sweden. People from Europe, who has never been here think they know everything. It bothers the hell out of me when my family or friends criticize this country. I tell them. " you don't live here so you do not know ho things really are"/

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 03-24-2011 at 09:50 PM..

Old 03-24-2011, 09:03 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,889,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
We should stop handing out H1B visas until our unemployment rate has declined. These people are not smarter, and they don't work harder. They're the same as you and I, only they have different behaviors which allows their performance to elude their supervisors. I still can't believe people say the things they do. So racist. So anti-American. Yet folks seem to think it's ok to disparage the American worker with a broad stroke while they uphold folks from other countries as if they're somehow better than us.

"Foreigners" is the wrong term. There is nothing wrong with hiring folks that are here legally, already have a visa, or have become citizens. However we do need to shut the door for a while, because just like at Disneyland, this ride is full.

Aside from that, let me tell you a story.

A friend of mine from Turkey wanted to be an SAP engineer. His "friend" got him hired to work on a project team. He didn't know SAP any more than SOL. Of course his friend told him "Don't worry, the team will carry you."

Yeah, these are the folks we're handing our jobs over to. I guess if they speak in an accent that you can hardly understand and throw enough buzz words at you that you can, they're geniuses. What fools Americans can be sometimes.

The door is never going to be shut, only opened further. Too many powerful lobbies on both sides want unfettered immigration. Get used to it. Even if they clamp down on illegal immigration, the plans call for massive increases in legal immigration.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:35 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,577,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanACM View Post
Exactly, ... how do some people think that an employer "must hire me.." over the smarter guy over there who works harder for less pay??

You're half right. It has to do with less pay.

That is why we're turning into a third world country.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:49 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,808,149 times
TAKEOURJOBS.ORG
** Job may include using hand tools such as knives, hoes, shovels, etc. Duties may include tilling the soil, transplanting, weeding, thinning, picking, cutting, sorting & packing of harvested produce. May set up & operate irrigation equip. Work is performed outside in all weather conditions (Summertime 90+ degree weather) & is physically demanding requiring workers to bend, stoop, lift & carry up to 50 lbs on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.