Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
This is all about corporations hiring the best talent available from around the world to fill mid to upper level technical positions (mostly).

America is failing to produce enough talent, college degreed or not. If more Americans had the right stuff, more would be hired. And maybe our unemployment rate would be 8% instead of 9%.
A lot of the foreign talent isn't hired because it's so much superior, it's because it's so much cheaper.

If you've ever worked alongside some of the foreign employees, you'd see that many are average - nothing special at all. They do keep wages down and that's what's important. And they can be given crappy shifts and cannot easily quit and poor management loves foreign labor because it doesn't have to improve it's management style to attract employees as it can bring in a more desperate kind.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:06 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
No

Old 03-25-2011, 06:10 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Should congress make a federal law, stating that no foreigner should be allowed to work or get an work visa until all American jobs are filled?
No.

They come here and see the promise of America and all she has to offer.

Many Americans do not see the opportunities.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:34 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A lot of the foreign talent isn't hired because it's so much superior, it's because it's so much cheaper.

If you've ever worked alongside some of the foreign employees, you'd see that many are average - nothing special at all. They do keep wages down and that's what's important. And they can be given crappy shifts and cannot easily quit and poor management loves foreign labor because it doesn't have to improve it's management style to attract employees as it can bring in a more desperate kind.
If you are a foreign worker, The department of Labor "dictates" your rate. And they inform immigration, if you are not getting paid the minimum rate for that position, your immigration status gets revoked.

Last nite, I was in my Managerial Statistics class (for my 2nd masters) and took a water break. I went down to my Library at campus and on the hallways there was a contest. Students were to choose the best poster for the PHD candidates (I have not idea on which subject, I believe it was IT or something like that). There were around 40-50 posters and you could vote on them. Anyway, I was on line to vote and started reading the posters... they were the most amazing ideas for (I believe) IT solutions on crime and terrorism preventions. The ideas were somehow related to state of the art tools to make the country safer... It was fantastic.

I could not help but notice, out of the 45 names, 40 were asian. 1 was "american" and 4 were middle eastern. My school is normally known for its huge international community (specially asians).

That is the reason why foreigners are taking jobs. And trust me, those ideas were fantastic...Absolutly brilliant. That is where the power of this country, those "foreigners" are bringing a lot of skills to the table. Those skills are the ones that would put the US in an advantage in the world.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:44 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
In your words "foreigners" are taking jobs because they are better qualified and willing to work harder for less than most Americans are willing to work to achieve.

As we traveled around the country from '08-'10, we saw many regions of the country completely wasted by THEIR local economies. In the beginning, I felt sorry for them, but as I began looking closer at the situation, I realized they caused their own situations.

They didn't update their skills to evolving job market demands. Their local governments did not create attractive "climates" for new businesses to come to take advantage of labor available. When the businesses did not come to them, they did not go to areas where there were emerging economies.

We need to stop living in the past and wishing for the bygone glory days (that never were), and stay adaptive to the present and future moments of our lives.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:56 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Should congress make a federal law, stating that no foreigner should be allowed to work or get an work visa until all American jobs are filled?
First of all, I thought that you wanted less government, yet you now want government to make laws to help you.

Hmmmm, all the jobs, really?
I'm from the US and I have a pretty great job.

I use my education and years of experience.
If I lost this job, I have no doubt that I'd find another. I have a specific skill set that is sought in my field.

Do you have the skills and experience required for the jobs that you think are out there and being stolen from "real" US citizens?

Ever think that this is what you get from the free market.
They choose.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:01 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
Default Why are foreigners taking all American jobs?

Duh!

Because American companies are hiring them instead of us.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:02 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
In your words "foreigners" are taking jobs because they are better qualified and willing to work harder for less than most Americans are willing to work to achieve.

As we traveled around the country from '08-'10, we saw many regions of the country completely wasted by THEIR local economies. In the beginning, I felt sorry for them, but as I began looking closer at the situation, I realized they caused their own situations.

They didn't update their skills to evolving job market demands. Their local governments did not create attractive "climates" for new businesses to come to take advantage of labor available. When the businesses did not come to them, they did not go to areas where there were emerging economies.

We need to stop living in the past and wishing for the bygone glory days (that never were), and stay adaptive to the present and future moments of our lives.
This is a great post and a good lesson for all.
In the US, many people vote against their own best interest; vilify education; and are envious of those who "have".

As some buddhists say, we make our own dukkha.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I would like to see an economy where corporations were begging for places to locate instead of towns begging for businesses. That would be a vast improvment over the current situation.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
If you are a foreign worker, The department of Labor "dictates" your rate. And they inform immigration, if you are not getting paid the minimum rate for that position, your immigration status gets revoked.

Last nite, I was in my Managerial Statistics class (for my 2nd masters) and took a water break. I went down to my Library at campus and on the hallways there was a contest. Students were to choose the best poster for the PHD candidates (I have not idea on which subject, I believe it was IT or something like that). There were around 40-50 posters and you could vote on them. Anyway, I was on line to vote and started reading the posters... they were the most amazing ideas for (I believe) IT solutions on crime and terrorism preventions. The ideas were somehow related to state of the art tools to make the country safer... It was fantastic.

I could not help but notice, out of the 45 names, 40 were asian. 1 was "american" and 4 were middle eastern. My school is normally known for its huge international community (specially asians).

That is the reason why foreigners are taking jobs. And trust me, those ideas were fantastic...Absolutly brilliant. That is where the power of this country, those "foreigners" are bringing a lot of skills to the table. Those skills are the ones that would put the US in an advantage in the world.
Yet the only brilliant idea they ever came up with for their own countries was to flee them to the USA.

Putting Americans down but insisting on living here in the country built by Americans is just goofy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies