Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 07:01 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,417,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Five hours? Sounds excellent. The flight is a little over two now, plus airport arrival two hours before, etc. five hours sounds excellent. It can't be that good, it would have to be worse than that.
And it would be. The train would likely stop, at minimum, in Tacoma, Portland, Eugene, Medford, and either Eureka or Redding. It would likely stop in about 10 or 20 other cities as well.

The TSA would be present at the train stations just like at the airports. The same "security" theater would take place.

It would probably take about 8-9 hours when all was said and done - minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 07:09 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,646,025 times
Ten or twenty other cities? Now you're pushing it. You've listed all the major cities already and some of the lesser cities. It's not like there is much between Olympia and Portland or Portland and Redding. Redding to SF and SF to San Jose where I would get off. I say...seven hours. And train rather than a flying tin can where I'm crammed so close I can tell what the next guy just ate. Ugh.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:23 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,998,466 times
Ah, I can dream. I hate flying and I hate driving. I do a lot more of the former than the latter but would happily do without either.

How I would love to have HSR up and down the Eastern seaboard. Miami - Atlanta - Boston. 1,800 miles at 300 mph plus a few stops in between.... Instead, I'll keep on crawling up the interstate at 75 mph or find myself stuck at JFK for three hours while we drive around the tarmac.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:43 PM

56,981 posts, read 25,943,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
And it would be. The train would likely stop, at minimum, in Tacoma, Portland, Eugene, Medford, and either Eureka or Redding. It would likely stop in about 10 or 20 other cities as well.

The TSA would be present at the train stations just like at the airports. The same "security" theater would take place.

It would probably take about 8-9 hours when all was said and done - minimum.
The bottom line for comparison is, what it would take to go from Seattle to San Franciso, train vs plane even playing field, not that it doesn't make sense to add in additional cities. Actually, that is another selling point of rail, you can easily stop at other cities, not so with air travel, and trains are not stacked 15 to 20 in a row waiting for a runway to open up in addition to being less impacted by weather.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,260,642 times
The thing about HSR is that you cannot have lots of stops. You keep stopping and you end up with another Amtrak.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:11 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,417,806 times
Look at all the places the Amtrak Acela stops.

Why would it be any different on the West Coast?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,260,642 times
Quote:
Look at all the places the Amtrak Acela stops.

Why would it be any different on the West Coast?
I just did some reading on Acela. Speeds of up to 150mph but averages 80mph. At that speed then yes you could have multiple stops along the way.
Then again the acela has speed restrictions on portions of the track.

As an interesting aside..they did a test run of limited stops with the Acela and shaved an hour off the time to get from NYC to Wash DC.

Acela Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-29-2011, 04:34 AM

25,971 posts, read 24,644,548 times
I guess stops are always a problem with high-speed trains. They cost a lot of time. Plus, they tend to be in or close to already existing cities, so the rail company can't build ideal, i.e. pretty straight tracks, separate from the conventional track network where freight and slower conventional trains are often stopping at smaller towns as well, slowing down the whole system. It's more like in one of those children's drawing books, where you have to connect countless points by drawing a line through them. Especially in the US, where the rail network is rather thin, you can't just get off the high-speed train in a huge city stop and take a connecting suburban train to the smaller city you actually need to go to.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:37 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,751,991 times
Quote:
Even from Seattle to San Francisco would be around 600 miles I believe. At 125 mph without stops (and there would be plenty of stops), that would take 5 hours.
How many stops do flights between Seattle to San Francisco must make?

Old 12-29-2011, 07:39 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,471,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
How many stops do flights between Seattle to San Francisco must make?

That depends on if they fly you to chitown or atlanta first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies