Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 12:39 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So you believe that black people are physically superior to white people?
No, but I do believe that this is one of the reasons they were chosen. Africans were seem as "hardier" and able to withstand exposure to many of the illnesses that were killing whites/Native Americans in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 12:39 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
No, they justified their mistreatment by dehumanizing Africans, BUT they were chosen because of their physical prowess. This fact can not be avoided.
Hey I am the first to say that what they did was appalling. A month ago I watched a movie that I had to keep walking away from because it was so disturbing. But to go on and on and blame the wrong people and let politicians use this history and to use you is just as naive. It is where I draw the line. Like women did.. it's time to move on.

What these records show is that the modern slave trade flourished in the early middle ages, as early as 869, especially between Muslim traders and western African kingdoms.

Today, Muslim countries enslave woman.

The Origins of the Slave Trade

Old 05-29-2014, 12:40 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,336,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Whining is all we hear. Affirmative action because bla, bla, bla. Whaaat! You can't expect us to do what everyone else does and get a voter ID ! It's too hard. You whine you can't without help and special treatment. Yep that is whining.

Either you are capable or you are not. You can't have it both ways.
I agree.

I was never a racist until the last few years......my first wedding pictures are VERY colorful.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:42 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:
No, but I do believe that this is one of the reasons they were chosen. Africans were seem as "hardier" and able to withstand exposure to many of the illnesses that were killing whites/Native Americans in the US.
I'm sorry, I'm trying to wrap my head around this.

Blacks were physically superior to whites, and that's why they were chosen to be slaves. But you don't really believe that blacks are physically superior to whites. You just believe that colonial era whites, who believed that black people were inferior, also believed black people to be physically superior?

Old 05-29-2014, 12:42 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
Quote:
You are so wrong. So very wrong. Most people know about slavery in the US and well as other parts of the world. Most people with a strong educational background realize that Africans sold slaves (kind of defines the term African slavetrading, right?).

BUT, it can't be argued that the US managed to further pervert an already effed up system of oppression. The US introduced us to the world of chattel slavery.
You are so convinced. Keep carrying that chip. It will make you old as the hills before your time.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:43 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,336,207 times
Quote:
Then why do they seem to have trouble finding work today???

I would think blacks would be hired on the phone.....just by applying.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:47 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Slavery was a horrible institution, but I don't think it's fair to judge previous generations by today's standards. Society around the world was very different then than it is now. It's very common to hear the behavior of the younger generation explained as being influenced by the society they grow up in - which is true. The same holds true for our ancestors.
No. They very well knew that slavery was a sin. The first American abolitionist, Roger Williams (who also founded both the first Baptist church in America and the colony of Rhode Island), was preaching abolition as early as 1644.

By the early 1800s, all of the Christian world had condemned slavery as a sin...except the American south.

To be more clear, Christianity had never before developed a theological rationale for slavery. The early Church had abandoned slavery in the first two centuries. Only after Constantine gave the Church a stake in the Roman empire that depended on slavery did the Church begin tolerating it. But even then, slavery was an "unfortunate vice" like prostitution and rumrunning...the Church never developed a theological rationale to support it within Christianity.

Even in America's early years, slavery was originally acknowledged as a sin by everyone, including souther slaveholders. It wasn't until slavery became wildly profitable after the invention of the cotton gin that the southern philosophy began to change, and for the first time--and only in the American south--people started cobbling together a wobbly theological framework for slavery within Christianity.

That was when southern Christians actually broke ties with all other Christian communities for the sole purpose of retaining their slaves. For instance, the American Baptist Convention (remember, originally organized by the first American abolitionist, Roger Williams) was so staunchly anti-slavery that they didn't even permit their members to have hired domestic servants. Southern Baptists broke away and created the Southern Baptist Convention for the sole purpose of retaining their slaves. All other denominations, including Catholics, similarly ignored their parent hierarchies in order to continue slavery.

Even beyond religion, it was clearly understood that slavery diminished the value of a white man's labor. That was not unknown--that was why the northern working class opposed slavery in the new western territories.

Where wealthy slaveholders gained ground, free white working men would have no way to make their own fortunes. They knew that then just as well as we know now that outsourcing production to China diminishes the value of American labor. Slaveholders were the Monsanto of their day.

But back then--just as now--there was a whole subset of working-class whites who were willing to fight to maintain a system that was dedicated to keeping them poor.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Hey I am the first to say that what they did was appalling. A month ago I watched a movie that I had to keep walking away from because it was so disturbing. But to go on and on and blame the wrong people and let politicians use this history and to use you is just as naive. It is where I draw the line. Like women did.. it's time to move on.

What these records show is that the modern slave trade flourished in the early middle ages, as early as 869, especially between Muslim traders and western African kingdoms.

Today, Muslim countries enslave woman.

The Origins of the Slave Trade
And my point to you is, outside of a few bozos who get media attention (Sharpton, Jackson), you don't hear anyone going on and on about blaming white people. HOWEVER, racism is still alive and well and there are instances where discussing it is valid. These times don't have to be shoved under the rug just because there are some people who call foul without cause.

There's nothing to "move on" from. If you think for one moment that the rights of women is still not an important topic of conversation and that the issue is over and done with, you're wrong. There is still much discussion had about wage fairness, conditions of working mothers, etc.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm sorry, I'm trying to wrap my head around this.

Blacks were physically superior to whites, and that's why they were chosen to be slaves. But you don't really believe that blacks are physically superior to whites. You just believe that colonial era whites, who believed that black people were inferior, also believed black people to be physically superior?

No, I'm telling you about a BELIEF (they thought they were stronger), not a fact (they were stronger). Doing a little reading will take you a long way in researching this further.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
You are so convinced. Keep carrying that chip. It will make you old as the hills before your time.
Giving facts now equals carrying a chip. Same tired, worn out lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies