Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 01:18 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If we go around enslaving people because they are physically superior, then every muscle-bound Irishman, Pole, Greek, etc would be enslaved.

Humans enslave others because of an innate belief in superiority. Period.
Perhaps you missed where I said this wasn't the *only* reason. I'm not sure why you want to deny that this was a rationalization for the enslavement of African peoples, but that is your problem. Do some research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 01:20 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:

Humans enslave others because of an innate belief in superiority. Period.
Nah, actually it is because they can. They may justify it by classifying their slaves as inferior.

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Delusions of grandeur does not equal prominence in the black community. Unless you believe that Rush Limbaugh/Bill O'Reilly speak for the white community?

I know the true history because I *don't* take the textbook education provided in school as the gospel.The mainstream education system gives a very watered down history of the US. We are taught to idolize/admire the FFs, when, in fact, they are flawed men just like any other politician today.
It's the fact that they are flawed men, just like today's politicians, that gives us cause to admire them. Despite their flaws, they defied a king and an empire, they wrote one of the most profound foundational documents for a government that's ever existed, they opened the door to an evolving concept of equality for all men.

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Perhaps you missed where I said this wasn't the *only* reason. I'm not sure why you want to deny that this was a rationalization for the enslavement of African peoples, but that is your problem. Do some research.
It happened, you want to blame whitey that's your issue. Me, I have too much good in my life to grump about the past. As for woman's issues. Those woman are living with the results of their decisions and I don't want to have to be enslaved to pay for them.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
I am coming up against, now in my life, things I know to be true and beliefs institutions impose on you which are evil. I wanted to write "actually evil" but it seemed redundant. So I do one thing but believe another?

Things are getting out of control in our society. Guy on a talk show said he wanted the address of the White House from his smart phone to complain about something but was asked to Google it which he said would have identified him to big brother.
The guy on the talk show doesn't KNOW the address of the White House??????

Old 05-29-2014, 01:23 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
It's the fact that they are flawed men, just like today's politicians, that gives us cause to admire them. Despite their flaws, they defied a king and an empire, they wrote one of the most profound foundational documents for a government that's ever existed, they opened the door to an evolving concept of equality for all men.
And without that beginning we would all probably be living under a tyrannical government. But as Obama who wants us to be ignorant to the possibility... "reject those voices".

I thank god and my ancestors for coming here, on a boat, taking the risk and living in poverty for me to be an American!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That would be modern "race" theory. Ancient Romans did not keep Greek slaves because they necessarily thought they were superior to the Greeks (indeed, they acknowledged the superiority of the Greeks in many areas)...but because they had a better army.
Ask any slave if his owner thinks the owner is superior.....

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I agree.....it is what it is.
I'm trying to show you that it is not logical to lump a good person with a bad person simply because they share the same skin color. Big difference between Levar Burton(from Reading Rainbow) and Tookie Williams(the guy who formed the Crips). Big difference. Lumping those two together because they are Black is not logical or rational. It is based on fear, lack of critical thinking, and one's own decision to hold bigoted, prejudice views. That is something I choose not to do.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:24 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Nah, actually it is because they can. They may justify it by classifying their slaves as inferior.
How about both reasons. Human beings have often looked down on others not like them, and felt that they "could" do things to other people. It is ugly and evil.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The fact that they can is a demonstration of their superiority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies