U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:37 PM

334 posts, read 159,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I guess where you and I differ is that I don't consider the Black race to have any "leaders". There may be some that are more popular, prominent, in the public eye, etc but none that are representative of our race of people. That last true "leader", IMO, was MLK.
Yeah but that's your opinion. You're clearly not racist.

However can you explain the large following that those I've mentioned have? Clearly they are popular. That's what I'm commenting on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 04:38 PM

29,816 posts, read 17,020,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
You really need to view Blacks as individuals and not some same-minded, same-thinking race of people.

Exactly! I have never understood why so many people think that selected groups of people (blacks, Jews, rich people, church people, etc, etc) are single issue voters.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:40 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,143,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
You have to consider the time they lived in. Racism was deeply entrenched in society back then, and the Founding Fathers were quite progressive for the 18th century world in which they lived.
Hardly. Many of the Founding Fathers were slaveowners themselves.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:45 PM

52,058 posts, read 27,883,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
Hah, I'll neither dispute the fact that some white leaders are racist, nor that they have a sizable following. That is definitely true.

The troubling thing with the black community is though, other than Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell, can you name other black leaders who are clearly not racist?
Rice and Powell are leaders? Of who exactly?

They are prominent. They aren't leaders. And as for you assertion that Sharpton, Jackson, Wright, or anyone else are "leaders" as such, when did any of them claim to be leaders? They speak out....as is their right. But they've never claimed to be black leaders.

And Obama is a racist by extension? How does that work?

Old 03-23-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Apology - Not speaking about you, just a lot of folks I've known in my life.

Keep in mind, I'd never say "all blacks hate whites", because I have plenty of black friends and as far as I can tell it's not an issue.

As for the majority? I have to go by black leaders.

Farrikhan - Racist
Sharpton - Racist
Jackson - Racist
Nagin - Racist
Wright (Obama's pastor) - Racist
Hell, Obama - Racist (by association)

....and that's just to name a few...

Just about every black leader that I've encountered has been caught at one time or another making racist remarks about whites. That tells me that the majority of black folks think that way. Because if George Bush had made similar remarks about blacks, he would've been impeached, mostly by whites.
Which black "leader" did you encounter? And GWB would've been impeached if he'd made similar remarks? Remarks similar to what exactly? You think right wing Republicans would impeach a Republican president for making racist remarks?

LOL....okaaaaaaay!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:52 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,143,475 times
I see people are still promoting White Supremacy, through dismissal of any black leader who talks about race as being "racist"

Old 03-23-2011, 05:07 PM

29,816 posts, read 17,020,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
I see people are still promoting White Supremacy, through dismissal of any black leader who talks about race as being "racist"

?????

Look up a few posts. somebody said they were not leaders.

And most of those individuals listed are way beyond "talking about race".

Old 03-23-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Which black "leader" did you encounter? And GWB would've been impeached if he'd made similar remarks? Remarks similar to what exactly? You think right wing Republicans would impeach a Republican president for making racist remarks?

LOL....okaaaaaaay!
Ok, I'd like to think so

A leader is someone who others follow. Folks in this thread seem to be confusing leaders with elected officials.

Al Sharpton for instance is clearly a leader.

So are the others I mentioned.

Just because some folks don't follow them doesn't mean they still aren't leaders.

Hell, Obama is an elected official. I wouldn't follow his dumb ass towards a well in the desert at this point. I might follow Jesse though. He sweats quite a bit, and there would more than likely be water at the end of the walk.

At any rate. I wasn't being rhetorical. I want to know who some folks consider "black leaders". Chocolat said she thinks there are none. I'd like to hope there are, but that's what I was wondering.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Ok, I'd like to think so

A leader is someone who others follow. Folks in this thread seem to be confusing leaders with elected officials.

Al Sharpton for instance is clearly a leader.

So are the others I mentioned.

Just because some folks don't follow them doesn't mean they still aren't leaders.

Hell, Obama is an elected official. I wouldn't follow his dumb ass towards a well in the desert at this point. I might follow Jesse though. He sweats quite a bit, and there would more than likely be water at the end of the walk.

At any rate. I wasn't being rhetorical. I want to know who some folks consider "black leaders". Chocolat said she thinks there are none. I'd like to hope there are, but that's what I was wondering.
Who has Sharpton declared to be a leader of outside of the NAN? I've heard him speak a bunch of times...i've never heard him make that proclamation.

Who has Jackson claimed to lead outside RPC? I can't even find a quote of him even saying that he's a leader of anything.

If all of these people are so called (by you) "leaders," then you shouldn't have any problem finding a clip of a group of blacks declaring them to be their leaders. Out of 30+ million of us, that must exist somewhere!!

So Chocolat say she thinks there are none? Then why not just go with her answer....you know, since she's black and may know more than someone who isn't black (not saying any names).

And you'd like to "hope there are" black leaders? Why? If you're not black (or maybe you are), why is this your concern anyway?

BTW...the answer is hell no...Republicans would not impeach, or even dream of impeaching a Republican president for making racist comments. Hell, if those comments were anti-black in particular, he might actually GAIN votes.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Who has Sharpton declared to be a leader of outside of the NAN? I've heard him speak a bunch of times...i've never heard him make that proclamation.

Who has Jackson claimed to lead outside RPC? I can't even find a quote of him even saying that he's a leader of anything.

If all of these people are so called (by you) "leaders," then you shouldn't have any problem finding a clip of a group of blacks declaring them to be their leaders. Out of 30+ million of us, that must exist somewhere!!

So Chocolat say she thinks there are none? Then why not just go with her answer....you know, since she's black and may know more than someone who isn't black (not saying any names).

And you'd like to "hope there are" black leaders? Why? If you're not black (or maybe you are), why is this your concern anyway?

BTW...the answer is hell no...Republicans would not impeach, or even dream of impeaching a Republican president for making racist comments. Hell, if those comments were anti-black in particular, he might actually GAIN votes.
Chocolat: As you can see, I rest my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies