Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:35 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times

Advertisements

There is so much ignorance afloat in this thread. I read a headline earlier this week that said that Detroit population feel to its lowest level in 100 years. Well, in 1910 there was hardly such a thing called a “suburb”. All the people, the rich, the poor, different races and ethnicities, all lived in dense areas because there were no cars and super highways to promote ease of transportation. There were street cars and the like and people needed to be close to everything for logistical purposes. Hence, “cities” essentially defined the human settlement area.

Today, the comparable measure of a city in 1910 is the Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA). In other words, in 1910 the City of Detroit may have been 700,000 people but the entire human contiguous settlement area was likely only about 900,000 people. Hence, the contiguous human settlement area 100 years ago happened to be defined within a cities limit. Today it’s defined by the city and the contiguous built up population of its suburbs.

In truth, city population is an irrelevant metric for anything other than politics. For example, if I develop a product or service and I am looking for a big city to market it in, should I choose Omaha, Nebraska over Atlanta because the city of Omaha has more people than the city of Atlanta? If all that I looked at was the population of the city then I would be making a terrible business decision because although Omaha has more people than Atlanta, metropolitan Atlanta has 6 times as many people as metropolitan Omaha. So really the figure I should be looking at is the metropolitan area numbers or the consolidated metropolitan numbers.

In truth, cities are no more than neighborhoods of a contiguous human settlement area. A city like Detroit, its land area of 135 square miles, represents a small fraction of the 6,000 square mile of the entire settlement area. Moreover, in a 75 mile radius of the city of Detroit you have Windsor, Ontario (not even a mile away from downtown D), Ann Arbor (40), Flint (50) and Toledo (54) which totals to well over 6 million people. This whole area is not contiguous and do not have cross commuting patterns that gets all these places counted as part of the Detroit area, because they want their independent identity. However, for all intents and purposes of the average Joe, there is nothing separating you from enjoying the amenities of any of these other places if you live in the area. Detroit, the dying and dead area, as the nation sees it, few places have more people in a 75mile radius than Detroit. NY, LA, CHI, WASH/BALT, SAN FRN, BOS, PHLLY…..and that’s probably it. Big cities down south population counts are already essentially about a 75 mile radius because they are so spread out.

That having been said, none of this has anything to do with whether a state is Red or Blue, bloods or crips. Immigration continues to bolster or maintain the population of many cities and states in the nation and Michigan, Detroit in particular, has hardly any immigrants. If you take away the people who were born in other nations from the totals of many states and cities, the population count would plunge. Well, Detroit has not had a lot of immigration relative to other places and the housing bubble sucked people from the city to the suburbs as developers overbuilt. If there are more houses than people then the least desirable housing will be abandoned as residents shift to newer or new housing made possible by low interest rates and no money down mortgages. Hence, the Detroit population shifted out by 5 to 10 miles, leaving a whole in the city where the oldest and least desired housing was located. It had nothing to do with bloods and crips (Republicans and Democrats). It was market forces and the result of an over supplying of housing during the housing bubble fiasco, on a region that was experiencing massive job losses, and people leaving the area, while developers were building a lot of new housing on the fringes of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 09:24 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Are you really that IGNORANT. Yeah I guess we really got passed by last NOVEMBER when we handed your messiah Barry a complete A$$ whooping at the polls!!! Leave the postings to ADULTS, Spongbob will be on any minute!
Barack Obama wasn't on any ballot in 2010. Judging by the declining favorability polls of governors in Michigan, Wisconsin and Ohio many people may be having buyers remorse in terms of some of the Republicans elected in 2010.

The people of the United States will have a express exactly how they feel about Barack Obama in 2012. We'll find out then how everybody feels about him.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:30 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Barack Obama wasn't on any ballot in 2010. Judging by the declining favorability polls of governors in Michigan, Wisconsin and Ohio many people may be having buyers remorse in terms of some of the Republicans elected in 2010.

The people of the United States will have a express exactly how they feel about Barack Obama in 2012. We'll find out then how everybody feels about him.
I know I am looking forward to it. Barry can't be gone soon enough for me and MILLIONS of other Americans.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really? Hmmm. Well why does a welfare nation like Germany with it's subsidies and VERY HEAVY regulations continue to see it's manufacturing thrive?
Simple trade unions are a VERY POWERFUL force in German politics. Also Germany has a NATIONAL INDUSTRIAL POLICY where government, trade unions and business get a seat at the table AND POLICY IS FORMULATED FOR THE BEST INTEREST OF EVERYBODY.

I watched an interview with a German C.E.O a couple of months ago and he was asked why Germany was so good at exporting high tech machine tool and high tech manufacturing products he stated We refuse to outsource high tech manufacturing technology to other countries

Basically in America we've now reached the stage where companies practice what I call F*****K you capitalism. The pursuit of profits take precedent over the national interest, the environment, and how communities and people are affected by corporate behavior.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I know I am looking forward to it. Barry can't be gone soon enough for me and MILLIONS of other Americans.
Never count your political chickens before they are hatched. Right now the Republicans don't even have a serious contender in the race.

Also the Republican National Committee is BROKE:

RNC finances suffer from loss of major donors

Quote:
Hundreds of major donors have abandoned the Republican National Committee, leaving it $20 million in debt and threatening its future as a central player in the 2012 presidential election.

The RNC raised just $7 million from major donors for the midterm elections, one sixth as much as it brought in for the previous midterms, in 2006. By contrast, the Democratic National Committee raised $38 million from large donors for last fall's midterms, three times as much as for the 2006 elections, according to a Washington Post analysis of donor records.

On Friday, when RNC members gather at National Harbor to select a chairman, they will meet under the shadow of the committee's finances, which are in worse shape than at any time since the Federal Election Commission began keeping records 35 years ago.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:59 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Nevermind the fact that primaries are how far from starting, now? It's way too early for people to start playing Nostradamus about who is going to win in 2012, let alone run as the Republican candidate.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:18 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Nevermind the fact that primaries are how far from starting, now? It's way too early for people to start playing Nostradamus about who is going to win in 2012, let alone run as the Republican candidate.
At this point ANY Republican BUT Newt & Palin have a very shot at unseating the Kenyan.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:05 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times
Quote:
Are you really that IGNORANT. Yeah I guess we really got passed by last NOVEMBER when we handed your messiah Barry a complete A$$ whooping at the polls!!! Leave the postings to ADULTS, Spongbob will be on any minute!
Quote:
november 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
The terms "messiah" and "Kenyan" expose your sources of "information" - Faux News etal.
Like I said, the Republicans GAINED due to the "strange bedfellow" factor I mentioned! Republicans are able to rally these idiots at election time. That's exactly what I said!
Now the blue states and cities are under attack in forums and the media, by parroting Limbaugh/Fox slogans. You just used these slogans.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:23 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Another moron for big gov't spending. How do you just "miss" that many people?
It's common for mayors to do this. Really, not doing so is like choosing not to file your taxes when you would have a nice return coming if you did. Why the resentment?

Edit: Ah, forgot I was on the Politics and Other Controversies forum. This is where people like you hang out.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:32 PM

514 posts, read 765,107 times
Default nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Yeah, Detroit is really an example of failure.HOUSTON is THE example to follow
Unless you're prepared to discuss the so-called demise of Detroit on a historical basis you should hold your piece. And as for Houston, you'll find very few Americans who would agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies