Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:13 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
I addressed Israel's actions in a previous post of this thread.

The jist of it is that one side deliberately targets civilians while the other side tries hard to avoid them.
The facts of the Shatila massacre say you're wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 02:17 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
The identity of this state is a Jewish one.
And THAT is the root of the problem.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:17 PM

915 posts, read 1,190,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
How do you know that Israeli action doesn't target civilians on the other side, in any way?

Please see my earlier post with plenty of examples.

Results speak for themselves and Israel causes lower civilian casualty ratios than any other country, despite Hamas attempts to use their civilians as shields.

You can also look at their motive. How does it help them to kill civilians? All they get is a bad image and the attackers can still send suicide bombers and missile. Nothing was accomplished.

Now look at Hamas motives. They want Israel gone and they think the best way to do that is to terrorize, cause panic, death, and damage.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:19 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Please see my earlier post with plenty of examples.
From Israeli media, in a country that criminalizes free speech? Or, have you seen it all in person, that there is no oppression of civilians on the other side?

Israelis and Palestinians killed since Sep 2000

Old 03-23-2011, 02:24 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Good thing Sarah is there. She can guide the Israelis with her great wisdom and advice!

BTW, is Israel building more settlements again in Palestinian territory? Seems like this is always the case before there is a firing of homemade "rockets" from Palestine. Perhaps one day Israel will connect the dots.
you think?

Old 03-23-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The facts of the Shatila massacre say you're wrong.
Thank you for bringing that up. The Sabra and Shatila massacre is a perfect example of Israel's attitude towards harming civilians.

Surprised to hear me say that? Perhaps you would be surprised to know that roughly 10% of Israel's population participated in a protest after the massacre became known, demanding answers as to how this could happen. Why? Because it is so much counter to the Israeli belief system.

If a Palestinian organization killed thousands of civilians, do you think they would conduct hearings, commision reports, national soul searching to find out "how could we let this happen?"

The answer tells you the difference between the two sides.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:36 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And THAT is the root of the problem.
It is a problem to have a Jewish state?

Old 03-23-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
The identity of this state is a Jewish one. To question one is to question the very existence of the state.

There are dozens of Muslim states, dozens of Christian states, many others as well. One Jewish state the size is causing all this? Give me a break.
I never said there is any one state we can point a finger at as causing all of anything, I just don't believe the US should support any state identified as a state of any particular religion. Israel's big failing, at least in modern political dealings, would appear to be its lack of oil reserves as much as anything else, oil appears a pass to for many other failings.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I never said there is any one state we can point a finger at as causing all of anything, I just don't believe the US should support any state identified as a state of any particular religion. Israel's big failing, at least in modern political dealings, would appear to be its lack of oil reserves as much as anything else, oil appears a pass to for many other failings.

I think there is enough attention focused on such a small place, that adding oil to the mix would only make things worse.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Thank you for bringing that up. The Sabra and Shatila massacre is a perfect example of Israel's attitude towards harming civilians.

Surprised to hear me say that? Perhaps you would be surprised to know that roughly 10% of Israel's population participated in a protest after the massacre became known, demanding answers as to how this could happen. Why? Because it is so much counter to the Israeli belief system.

If a Palestinian organization killed thousands of civilians, do you think they would conduct hearings, commision reports, national soul searching to find out "how could we let this happen?"

The answer tells you the difference between the two sides.
So 10% protesting and hearings mean what? IF this was so counter to the Israeli belief system, isn't 10% a bit low? What were the results of the hearings? Charges? Convictions? Punishment?

So Sharon resigned as defense minister yet remained in the cabinet., that's just punishment for the incident? Would Israel accept similar 'punishment' of a Hamas leader as just for a similar incident against Israel?

If not, what's the difference between the sides?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies