Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:16 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Yet, Americans speak a plethora of different languages, so your statement falls flat on the ground.

I have a Chinese supermarket across the street, an Indian one a block away and several Spanish/Mexican ones within 10 minutes driving distance, and that's in a predominately white neighborhood.

Americans speak all sorts of languages, but the majority either knows English or speaks it as their first language.

Did I say it was bad?

And most of the world doesn't, actually. People from underdeveloped countries certainly wants to, much of the time, but they generally also want to go to a plethora of other countries as well, anywhere with a better chance of a life outside of poverty.

John Cleese lived in the US for several years, and he summed the US up in one elegant line "USA has the absolute best and the absolute worst in the world, there's just more of the latter", I like that quote.
Those are immigrants who choose not to assimilate into the American way of life. Yet English does Unite us. Not Spanish or any other language.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:18 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Little food for thought.

It's actually been proven that it's better for kids to learn more than one language. Helps them intellectually.

It just seems, however, that people who are so idiotically stuck on the idea that "OMG AMERICA SPEAKS ENGLISH ANYTHING ELSE IS SO HORRIBLY WRONG" are actually willing to HOLD THEIR CHILDREN BACK because of idiotic political rhetoric.

In my mind, learning a second language should begin early. I'm talkin' like 1st or 2nd grade early. The earlier the better. And it should be mandatory. It doesn't have to be Spanish, but it SHOULD be some foreign language. My personal recommendations WOULD be Spanish, Mandarin, or French. Mandarin because it's one of the widest spoken languages, Spanish and French because it directly correlates to our neighbors.

Latin would also be fantastic, because it's used in just about every science there is, and will also be helpful in dissecting the origins of our own language.

But hey, I actually have my daughter's educational future in mind. Silly me.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:19 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Because though English is the predominant language there are other legitimate, (both historically and current) languages. One of which is Spanish.
Spanish is not an American language.
Sorry.

Those are immigrants who can't speak the language or can speak it, but are hostile.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:19 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
It is an English speaking country. Some immigrants choose to be hostile and speak their native tongue.
So, if I visit Texas' Hill Country and converse in German with the local folks, They and I'd be guilty of hostility of some kind?

Old 03-23-2011, 01:22 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
The English language is in no real danger of becoming marginal in the United States. I live in one of the most Spanish speaking states, historically and presently, New Mexico, so I have a certain perspective on it.

The Spanish-speaking population that has resided here since Spanish colonization has not entirely lost their language to English but they are all good English speakers, most as a first language with Spanish being relegated to 'kitchen-Spanish'.

Meanwhile, Mexican immigrants do indeed find it difficult to transition to English, but their kids do, presumably from watching cartoons.

Finally, it is my opinion that White, European-Americans will become a marginal population here long before the English language sees the slightest threat of extinction.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:23 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Sorry.
Neither is English.

Sorry.

While it may be the "widest spoken" language in America, it's not an official American language.

Then again, the "English" spoken by most Americans is a thoroughly raped version of the language.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:24 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Quote:
Sorry.

Those are immigrants who can't speak the language or can speak it, but are hostile.
Nothing to be sorry about, English isn't an American language either, it's derived from Anglo Saxon, which has very little to do with America.

Yet both are broadly in daily use in the US today.

If you want to speak an American language, you need to learn Cherokee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
So, if I visit Texas' Hill Country and converse in German with the local folks, They and I'd be guilty of hostility of some kind?
I've noticed there's a bunch of Czechs near the region too, is there some historical background to this?

Old 03-23-2011, 01:25 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Little food for thought.

It's actually been proven that it's better for kids to learn more than one language. Helps them intellectually.

It just seems, however, that people who are so idiotically stuck on the idea that "OMG AMERICA SPEAKS ENGLISH ANYTHING ELSE IS SO HORRIBLY WRONG" are actually willing to HOLD THEIR CHILDREN BACK because of idiotic political rhetoric.

In my mind, learning a second language should begin early. I'm talkin' like 1st or 2nd grade early. The earlier the better. And it should be mandatory. It doesn't have to be Spanish, but it SHOULD be some foreign language. My personal recommendations WOULD be Spanish, Mandarin, or French. Mandarin because it's one of the widest spoken languages, Spanish and French because it directly correlates to our neighbors.

Latin would also be fantastic, because it's used in just about every science there is, and will also be helpful in dissecting the origins of our own language.

But hey, I actually have my daughter's educational future in mind. Silly me.
Other languages are great so long as we have a common language. What I'm not getting is the push for one certain second language. What about those that speak Korean and English? The list goes on. We need one common language and it makes sense that it's English.

Now, if I want to watch Spanish on TV I have about 100 channels to choose from (or any other language). I prefer a disaster message going over the bull horn to be in one language. A disaster message in 400 languages could take 4 hours. This just to warn people to shut off their gas after an earthquake.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:25 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
Because until I see a bright red "alto" sign, this is an English speaking country.
And everybody knows that.

So... what's the problem again?

Old 03-23-2011, 01:26 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Sorry.
There are huge swaths of America that have had Spanish speaking populations for over 400 years. The English speakers in these areas have been present for less than 200 for the most part. Shoot, New Mexico has only been a full state since 1912.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies