Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:57 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,399,114 times

Advertisements

They are in our Country ~~ THEY need to learn English!!

I do agree with All American NYC on this one.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:58 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,953,882 times
Quote:
Why are they sneaking spanish in cartoons?
Is this a growing trend?
Who is they and which cartoons are you referring to?

How about a Cartoon Police that stops private production companies from putting Spanish in their cartoons?

Old 03-23-2011, 09:58 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Illegally in the country means they don't belong here.
So what? That has absolutely nothing to do with what I posted. I mean, let's pretend here that you're right. Most Spanish speakers are here illegally, and that means they don't belong here.

Does that mean that if you need to talk to somebody who's first language clearly seems to be Spanish that you ignore them, pretend they don't exist, and then not do what you needed to do? Say you're at work, and the night security or maintenance people at your building are Spanish speakers, do you just not try to get into the building, or never try to get anything fixed at work at night?

I'm just trying to stress to you how much your attitude is shooting yourself in the foot here because of your political beliefs.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,953,882 times
Quote:
They are in our Country ~~ THEY need to learn English!!

I do agree with All American NYC on this one.
They do. The OP is talking about children's cartoons. Most Hispanic kids are bilingual or pick up English very fast. It's the unilingual English kids who are at the disadvantage.

Being bilingual may delay Alzheimer's and boost brain power | Science | The Guardian
Research suggests that bilingual people can hold Alzheimer's disease at bay for longer, and that bilingual children are better at prioritising tasks and multitasking

Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,663,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Let's see here. What claims did I make?

That appears to be true.

Also true.

The ease for which one learns Spanish is up to interpretation, I'll give you that. I found it to be one of the easiest languages to pick up.

Chinese is the most spoken in the world and Latin is used quite a bit in most major fields of study. Even a lot of our words and grammatical structures are based in Latin.

Which of these did you feel is false?

Like America, Mexico has no official language. However, the government recognizes somewhere near 70 of their indigenous languages for use in official government business. So, like how American governments have forms and speakers of other languages, Mexico has the same.

Though, I can agree that they don't have a push to learn English. But that's their prerogative.

I'd like to see statistics to back that up. Though, this thread was about cartoons "sneaking in" Spanish - something that has been happening for generations.

I fail to see how this ties into putting additional languages into children's programs. These children's shows are shown worldwide. Just as my daughter (in America) watches shows like Fireman Sam - my friend's younger sister (in England) is also watching shows like Fireman Sam.

Dragon Tales? Also shown in England. And guess what? It has Spanish words in it, too.

English has always been our way of life.
They should be learning English in our country.

See what one of Presidents said below:

Quote:
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin.
But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

--- Theodore Roosevelt

stats.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,893,343 times
Most third+ generation hispanic kids I know are horrible at Spanish and barely speak it.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:10 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,982,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
Even if we say that you're right, for the sake of argument, does that mean that those 30 million people just don't exist to you? Do you just not bother trying to talk with anybody who clearly is more fluent in Spanish than English? I can't tell you the number of times that being able to say even just a few sentences to a person in Spanish has made things easier when I'm trying to get something done.
First off, my kids are learning Spanish and Mandarin. I've also had years of it but I don't see why it would be making things easier unless you are:

A. Hiring illegals
B. Working with illegals
C. Buying something from an illegal business

or on a lesser note D. People on vacation

It might be refugees but highly doubtful. Mandarin is the new language of money. If you are having a casual conversation, fine but business transactions should be in English. Otherwise see A, B or C. As far as cartoons Dora and the like make it easier to learn Spanish if you want to.

31,767 posts, read 28,802,087 times
Quote:
English has always been our way of life.
English is a language, occasionally used for people of England, not a way of life.

9,240 posts, read 8,663,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
They do. The OP is talking about children's cartoons. Most Hispanic kids are bilingual or pick up English very fast. It's the unilingual English kids who are at the disadvantage.

Being bilingual may delay Alzheimer's and boost brain power | Science | The Guardian
Research suggests that bilingual people can hold Alzheimer's disease at bay for longer, and that bilingual children are better at prioritising tasks and multitasking
The kids are bilingual in the first place because they need to learn English.

There is no need to learn Spanish. Its not an important language.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:11 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,893,343 times
Quote:
There is no need to learn Spanish. Its not an important language.
You are very very wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.