Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:47 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,262,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Actually, Castle Doctrine laws are designed to prevent just such civil lawsuits by the perpatrator or families of perpatrators. So, while you scenario might be likely in states that do not have castle doctrine laws in place, in Florida I believe it is highly unlikely to be heard.

Florida Castle Doctrine

Since the above article was written the FL law has been expanded to include the protection of law abiding persons outside of their home, anywhere they are legally allowed to be, with no duty to retreat.

NRA-ILA :: Fortifying The Right To Self-Defense (http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=188 - broken link)
Yes, I know all about this and believe me, it means NOTHING. Its alot of written BS, which does nothing for anyone. It doesn't stop a lawsuit. And the lawsuit itself, can do what people want.

The castle doctrine isn't worth the paper its written on. It was, and is, another "feel good," liberal policy, to make people feel better. It has little to do with anything.

Ever been to a shooting range and signed all those papers saying you won't sure and can't sue? They are worthless too. Just a bunch of BS, to scare people into things.

Shoot some jerk off in your home. Right, wrong, or indifferent and you have a few dollars in the bank, you WILL get sued. And you WILL pay. Maybe your insurance will pay and protect you to a point; after that you are on your own.

Get an umbrella life insurance policy and then some. I am telling you from experience. All of what I say, I have been there, done that, and got the t-shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 12:53 AM

401 posts, read 472,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Yes, I know all about this and believe me, it means NOTHING. Its alot of written BS, which does nothing for anyone. It doesn't stop a lawsuit. And the lawsuit itself, can do what people want.

The castle doctrine isn't worth the paper its written on. It was, and is, another "feel good," liberal policy, to make people feel better. It has little to do with anything.

Ever been to a shooting range and signed all those papers saying you won't sure and can't sue? They are worthless too. Just a bunch of BS, to scare people into things.

Shoot some jerk off in your home. Right, wrong, or indifferent and you have a few dollars in the bank, you WILL get sued. And you WILL pay. Maybe your insurance will pay and protect you to a point; after that you are on your own.

Get an umbrella life insurance policy and then some. I am telling you from experience. All of what I say, I have been there, done that, and got the t-shirt.
Great Advice. thanks.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:55 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,833,055 times
Quote:

Are you suggesting you have been sued in civil court specifically for self-defense using lethal force in a state with a Castle Doctrine law in place at the time?

Old 03-24-2011, 01:00 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,139,938 times
This traumatic incident ended as it should have. Well done.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:04 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,139,938 times
Quote:
This criminal has a family and now that the family knows, this lady and boyfriend, have money, I can see a nice wrongful death suit coming.
This is regretably likely. Our legal system is broken.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:16 AM

15,083 posts, read 20,424,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I am glad she had a gun and I am glad she shot him dead..........however......why would anyone open their front door to a stranger who knocks at 3:00 am.......or at anytime of day, for that matter?
It does not matter. The individual entered the residence without the homeowners' consent.

[one should be able to open the door of their residence at any time of day or night without explanation or justification]

Old 03-24-2011, 01:21 AM

15,083 posts, read 20,424,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I deleted my post because, after reading the story, it sounds like the guy did pose a deadly threat. She didn't break the law.

Still, I'd much rather ban handguns and give homeowners access to nonlethal self-defense weapons. It's always better when nobody dies.
If someone threatens my life or the life of a friend or a family member, then I'm okay with that person dying.

[if he does not value my life, then I will not value his]

Old 03-24-2011, 02:16 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,262,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Are you suggesting you have been sued in civil court specifically for self-defense using lethal force in a state with a Castle Doctrine law in place at the time?
I'm suggesting, you are ignorant and nieve to the civil court process. A piece of paper means nothing. You can hold it up all day and night. It means nothing. If you want to stand behind it, good luck. You will lose and will look like a moron.

A law, written is subject to interpretation and, when lawyers see money, they will fight tooth and nail. You will, no matter what you think, will lose.

And yes, I have been sued, twice, for wrongful death, although my actions were perfectlly legal. Both times, within state law, etc. The details of the second lawsuit would make you and most others cringe.

Keep dreaming in your fluffy cloud and rainbow world. The real world is different. Hard and nasty.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:27 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,351,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Armed Beauty Queen Fatally Shoots Intruder in Florida Home Invasion - FoxNews.com

Some help the boyfriend was....if not for that gun, they would both be dead!!

Guns are not evil......it's people that are evil. She used that gun the RIGHT WAY!

Old 03-24-2011, 02:31 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,065,845 times
Good for her for shooting that bastard. Shame on her for dating an ass-clown. Surely he knows that she loves that "$60,000" ring more than she loves him. Surely he knows that, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies