Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 06:39 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times

Advertisements

One reason is it might become too popular. When a rail line goes into operation, despite opponent's zealous attempts to prevent it, there are efforts to quash it before it becomes popular and hard to kill. Case in point: Seattle Sounder regional rail. Started out at 102,000 riders the first year, now 2.8 million. It may be hard to get them back to commuting in their cars, "where they belong.". Conservatives there have probably lost a few to the train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 06:41 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
so you're saying that you don't care about your community or society as a WHOLE and how everyone is doing as a WHOLE, just YOURSELF? that's what's wrong with american culture. selfishness is seen as a virtue and the basic spiritual principle that we are all connected is the exact opposite of this virtue.
Unlimited money sinks are a threat to the entire community. Public transportation all to often is the perfect example of this. Far too often they are union jobs programs, not service providers to the public.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:28 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
If I cannot smoke my pipe on the bus, I shall not ride.
(apologies to Mark Twain)

Old 03-29-2011, 12:18 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
Have you even been on the bus? Scary people. Have you ever have some one try to stab you on your way home from work, on public transportation?
Didn't think so.
For some people it works, orthers, not so much. We shouldn't be forced into public transportation with the "winners" of society.
Not that everyone that takes the bus is useless, but my experience, many are.
In the end, I do what is best for me. I am not conforming to what the leftist herd metality is telling me I should be doing.
Where are you traveling to and from?

I don't have a car and I live in an apartment complex near my university. I take the bus whenever possible because it goes by my university and by my apartment complex. I have never been held at knife point on a bus. Actually, I have rode the bus many times and NOTHING has happened to me on the bus. I have taken the bus all over the county and nothing has happened. The worst that has happened to me is that I was nearly run over by a bus while riding my bicycle. My biggest complaint with the local public transportation goes as follows:
a)not very efficient because it is only a bus system.
b)I have to transfer twice to get into Atlanta if I don't take the express bus.
c)service keeps getting cut and the fare is going up.
And I have rode MARTA in Atlanta. My beef is that the powers that exist in Cobb County don't want MARTA extended to Cobb County. MARTA would sure help ME.

And as for crimes, I have been a crime victim many times. None of it was related to public transportation. I have been shot with a paintball gun by some teenager, in a subdivision in the boonies. It was that very same subdivision that I got jumped by a group of teenagers. I have had 3 bicycles stolen. 2 of those time it was in an apartment complex. Once it was at school.

You want what's best for you and I want what's best for me. Well, this is what's best for me: A place where I don't have to use a car to get around. A place where public transportation is more efficient and serves more people. A city that is bicycle friendly. Where I live(the suburbs of Atlanta), none of that is happening. The leftist stuff that you disapprove of helps ME because of MY situation. Unfortunately, the rule is "needs of the majority come before the needs of the minority". This means it doesn't matter how much I'm for public mass transit, if a majority of the population couldn't care less about it, I don't get what I need. Please tell me this: Where does that leave me?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:24 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Screwed

Old 03-29-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Screwed
What are you talking about?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:53 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Your situation. You asked where does that leave you. I answered.

FWIW the principal reason for conservative opposition to mass transit is the trains would use less oil.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:08 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
FWIW the principal reason for conservative opposition to mass transit is the trains would use less oil.
Disagree completely about the conservative opposition to mass transit. The primary reason is the general opposition to large publicly funded infrastructure that lose vast sums of money. A secondary reason is a perceived threat to automobile based transportation, which is a symbol of individual freedom.

Conservatives don't favor increased use of oil - they are just not opposed to use of it.

I am not opposed to mass transit. But I am opposed to mass transit that has no hope of paying for itself. Most large rail projects fall in that category - though that may change as energy costs rise.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Your situation. You asked where does that leave you. I answered.

Pretty much sums it up. I am left screwed. Of course there are some people who just don't care. I care because it's happening to me.

I suspect the principal reason for hating mass transit is because oil is a factor.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:20 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
I don't know why I am afraid of public transportation. Everytime I see a city bus, I take off running the opposite direction until it is out of sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies