Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2011, 08:21 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
B/c he listed all the rough places he's not afraid to walk around in. Did you miss that part?
Still, he said NOTHING about being raised in the ghetto. He only spoke about being unafraid.

So i ask you again...who said that he was from the ghetto?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
If you're not dealing or buying drugs, why are you hanging out in the ghettos?
Where did he say that he "hangs out" in ghettos? He only said that he walks down the streets in some of those places...like millions of non-criminals do all the time.

Besides, even ghettos have actually HUMANS that live there. I thought humans WALKED? There is a prohibition against walking down streets in tough neighborhoods?

Old 03-25-2011, 09:03 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
I was born and raised in the projects in DC. To think that those who live in the ghetto do so because they either buy or sell drugs is offensive. Do you folks feel the same way about trailer parks?

I'm a Black woman and I would be cautious of any man walking up on me late at night. Hell, I live in the suburbs of Maryland now and still woudn't be out late at night just walking around. Won't find me a statistic among the "woman jogging early in the morning/late at night was sexually assaulted" crowd. This happens in the burbs and the city; rich and poor areas.

Some of you people are making unfair comparisons, giving the option of walking either a ghetto or a suburban white area. If I had to choose between walking through comparable neighborhoods; the projects populated by poor Blacks and a trailer park populated by poor Whites, I'd take the Black neighborhood...no question.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Well, this is not offensive at all. You are so far off, and you like to tell others to stick with what they know?

The white druggies can get away with going into the ghetto at night b/c they look the part.
Look the part? What does that mean? That they wear blackface?

There is no "look the part." The part can be bummy with your pants hanging off your ass. It can be in a 2 piece suit. It can be in a sundress. In can be in a tanktop and Bermuda shorts.

People who buy drugs look like everyone else. Not all drug users look like the Meth users on those drug billboards. Besides, they're in cars most times. How would anyone know what "the part" looks like?

Again, for the thousandth time...will some of you folks please talk about things that you know about. Leave the streets talk to people who know their way around. It's clearly apparent that a lot of you have been watching too many movies and TV shows.....that's not the reality. When in tough neighborhoods, there is a certain way one must conduct his or herself. There are those of us who know and understand how that works and it has nothing to do with race. For those that don't know, stick to the Cub Scout meetings or go sell Girl Scout cookies.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:53 PM

950 posts, read 1,515,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Who in the hell walks through ANY neighborhoods at 2am? Hell, i can go into the worse neighborhoods in Phoenix or Detroit and at that hour you can hear a pin drop.

Lotta you guys are talking about neighborhoods that you have no clue about. You think all white neighborhoods are safe for black folks to walk through? You kidding me? In Metro Detroit, there are SEVERAL towns in which i wouldn't want to confront some of the young white youth roaming the streets. Wyandotte, CenterLine, parts of Warren, most of Dearborn, all if not most of Livonia. And those are the inner ring burbs. Outer ring burbs? Hell...i wouldn't walk the streets of Brighton after dark if my life depended on it.

I mean, to think that whites don't venture regularly into tough inner city areas is laughable. In southwest Detroit, the white druggies coming in from the burbs is so overwhelming that the cops often pull white folks over to see what they're doing there because they know they'll find drugs half the time. Who do you guys think DRIVES the drug trade in the inner cities? Black folks? LMAO...please. If you think that, you need to move on to another topic.

Frankly, some of you suburbanites sound so ignorant about this stuff that i get a headache. Stick to the suburban stuff like soccer games, bake sales, clam bakes, bowling leagues, and Moose Lodges. Leave the talk about the streets to the people who know what the hell they're talking about.

All of the statistics I have seen say that the crime and murder rate in the suburban towns of Metro Detroit is a lot lower than in the city limits of Detroit itself.

So you are talking out your butt when you say places like Livona and Warren are just as equally dangerous if not more so than innercity Detroit.

There is a reason why every year Detroit makes it on the list of the top 5 and on some years it is even number 1 on the list of most dangerous cities in America according to F.B.I yearly statistics, yet you never see Livona or Warren make that list.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:13 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
calling someone an Uncle Tom is disrespectful and as bad as calling someone the n word. In your world, if a black man sees and lives life outside the realm and ideology of BET/hip hop then you basically see them as a traitor and hater of their own race? If those people are "uncle toms", then I think we need more of them. It's time to think outside your world of black vs white. If people like you didn't insist on everything being about race and worrying about "keeping it real", the world would be a better place.

I love it when the liberal racists reveal
themselves with that "Uncle Tom," crap.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:47 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Any Black poster that gives you rep points for this post is an Uncle Tom. I wonder if they have the courage to reveal themselves.
Using that kind of rhetoric is a huge part of the problem with race relations.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Still, he said NOTHING about being raised in the ghetto. He only spoke about being unafraid.

So i ask you again...who said that he was from the ghetto?
Ugh, just let it alone already. You're not adding to the conversation and I have no desire to go back through the last 10 pages of posts to find a post I no longer care about.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Look the part? What does that mean? That they wear blackface?

There is no "look the part." The part can be bummy with your pants hanging off your ass. It can be in a 2 piece suit. It can be in a sundress. In can be in a tanktop and Bermuda shorts.

People who buy drugs look like everyone else. Not all drug users look like the Meth users on those drug billboards. Besides, they're in cars most times. How would anyone know what "the part" looks like?

Again, for the thousandth time...will some of you folks please talk about things that you know about. Leave the streets talk to people who know their way around. It's clearly apparent that a lot of you have been watching too many movies and TV shows.....that's not the reality. When in tough neighborhoods, there is a certain way one must conduct his or herself. There are those of us who know and understand how that works and it has nothing to do with race. For those that don't know, stick to the Cub Scout meetings or go sell Girl Scout cookies.
Mmmhmmm. I've driven through the ghetto at night and seen plenty of it, and there have been no sundresses, suits or bermuda shorts.

Again, for the thousandth time, stop telling everyone else they don't know what they're talking about. YOU do not know what you're talking about with all your racist assumptions of white suburbanites, and THAT is beyond offensive.

However, if you would like to be the authority on ghettos...better you than me.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Mmmhmmm. I've driven through the ghetto at night and seen plenty of it, and there have been no sundresses, suits or bermuda shorts.

Again, for the thousandth time, stop telling everyone else they don't know what they're talking about. YOU do not know what you're talking about with all your racist assumptions of white suburbanites, and THAT is beyond offensive.

However, if you would like to be the authority on ghettos...better you than me.
Really? So if the ghetto is so dangerous, then how are you alive since you've seen "plenty of it."

Again, what is "look the part?" No one in crime ridden neighborhoods wears bermuda shorts, sundresses, or suits? Really? This is getting more laughable by the post.

You can't answer anything that i'm asking you. Nothing.

You claimed that white people were moving out of Detroit, but couldn't offer any proof. Of course, that's because there are no white people to move out of Detroit to begin with. But you totally ignored that.

Now you claim that there is a "ghetto uniform" that is required to "look the part" for whites who inundate ghetto neighborhoods looking for drugs. Yet, you can't tell me what that uniform is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies