Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:12 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times

Advertisements

I don't believe that collective bargaining is a right. I am very liberal on most political and social issues...but I am not a huge union supporter.

Having said that I do agree with the AG that politicians give too much away at the bargaining table.

seattletimes.com: McKenna says he's no Scott Walker, but maybe Butch Otter

"Collective bargaining is a right. It's not the problem. The problem is politicians who give away too much at the bargaining table," McKenna said.

Of course he could be trying to sway Democrats and other union supporters to vote for him if he does get elected.

Last edited by seattlerain; 03-24-2011 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:14 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
One of the few times that I have agreed with the AG of my state.

"Collective bargaining is a right. It's not the problem. The problem is politicians who give away too much at the bargaining table," McKenna said.
If he does get elected governor, McKenna said he'd work with unions, rather than "terrorizing them."

Of course he could be trying to sway Democrats and other union supporters to vote for him if he does get elected.
Can you refresh my memory. Where in the Constitution are the Collective Bargaining Rights stated?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:16 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Can you refresh my memory. Where in the Constitution are the Collective Bargaining Rights stated?
It doesn't, and I wondered why he would say that myself...but I still agree with his approach.

Perhaps I should have chosen a different title...

Old 03-24-2011, 07:19 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Quote:

If he does get elected governor, McKenna said he'd work with unions, rather than "terrorizing them."

Unions in the private sector is OK, all they have been doing there is closing all the businesses they get into. They are in fact like a cancer.

You can't have collective bargaining in government areas, the unions pay off politicians every time to give them grand benefits and pay in exchange for hundreds of millions a year if not billions for election.
Obama gets a half billion from one government union for his election, he then does things like create a stimulus that gives 95% of it to government unions, we also see how he gives an opt-out for government unions with Obama-care.

It's exactly like the mafia and has to stop.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Yeah, that is a good point. There is no such right, just a lot of whining by elites in government finding out there is no more money for the outrageous pay days anymore.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:24 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
when the public union employees start paying for my pension and health care like I am forced to pay for theirs through my property and federal taxes maybe we can talk until then the greedy idiots should strike and be replaced we cant afford their greed any more. I am responsible for myself and dont tax my neighbors for my needs but these leeches think they deserve it.their day is over I hope. they are nothing but welfare recipients

Old 03-24-2011, 07:27 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
somebody elected a dufus for AG.

even FDR and the idiot Jimmy Carter knew that government workers should not be unionized.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:28 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,170 times
Quote:

A right to Collective bargaining is a right to someone else's property which contradicts with the Constitution because it protects property rights.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:28 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
when the public union employees start paying for my pension and health care like I am forced to pay for theirs through my property and federal taxes maybe we can talk until then the greedy idiots should strike and be replaced we cant afford their greed any more. I am responsible for myself and dont tax my neighbors for my needs but these leeches think they deserve it.their day is over I hope. they are nothing but welfare recipients
This is what I don't get when liberals support the PUBLIC unions in Wisconsin. ALL of us are paying for THEIR health care benefits, their lavish paid holidays and general days off, etc. and we don't get a slice of the pie, they eat our slice of the paycheck.

Private unions I'm ok with, public unions 100% against.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Yeah, that is a good point. There is no such right, just a lot of whining by elites in government finding out there is no more money for the outrageous pay days anymore.
I'm about as conservative as they get, but lets be honest.. the pay isnt really that outrageous. The problem is the other expenses, often mandated by the federal government without funding is limiting states abilities to provide for their citizens. Since they cant cut back on expenses mandated by the federal government, they need to look at those items not mandated in tough times, which often times includes employees pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies