Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the main factor driving political polarization/misunderstanding
Real cultural differences between various parts of the country 6 12.50%
Biased and polarized news media 6 12.50%
Fascination with social "wedge issues" 5 10.42%
Other/A Mix of the Above 31 64.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:46 PM

146 posts, read 225,100 times

Advertisements

I won't reveal my own political leanings because they're not important here (if you're curious, they're not that difficult to discover )

Indeed, I think this a problem with both sides today. I increasingly find it difficult to see eye-to-eye with the other political side on even the simplest matters. Forget about hot-button topics like abortion, gay rights, immigration, taxes, entitlements, etc., where I have long ago concluded that our views are anything but reconcilable...even when it comes to basic facts (e.g., what is the purpose of the 14th Amendment), we seem to be living on different planets. I'm 100% sure that many folks on the other side feel the same way about me.

Anybody else increasingly feel this way? What do you think some causes (and maybe solutions) might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator487 View Post
I won't reveal my own political leanings because they're not important here (if you're curious, they're not that difficult to discover )

Indeed, I think this a problem with both sides today. I increasingly find it difficult to see eye-to-eye with the other political side on even the simplest matters. Forget about hot-button topics like abortion, gay rights, immigration, taxes, entitlements, etc., where I have long ago concluded that our views are anything but reconcilable...even when it comes to basic facts (e.g., what is the purpose of the 14th Amendment), we seem to be living on different planets. I'm 100% sure that many folks on the other side feel the same way about me.

Anybody else increasingly feel this way? What do you think some causes (and maybe solutions) might be?
Well hmm, I'll take a stab that you're left of center, either a moderate Democrat or a moderate Independent.

Well my solution is, simply, to stop playing the stupid game of political football. if people look past the D's vs. R's setup that the media gives us we'll see that we're run by globalist bankers and they have cronies in the Fed and the wider federal government, al-Qaida is a CIA creation used to take away our liberties, and to justify a never-ending war on terror (they are the modern day boogeyman) and use convenient patsies to explode bombs in their pants so that the TSA has the pretext to grope us and radiate us with radiation. If that's too much to ask for people to comprehend, then please continue the partisan bickering that you posted against in your OP, and post a picture of black helicopters and/or a tinfoil hat.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:19 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,277,740 times
We need drastic cuts in our budget and almost nobody wants to hear that.
One side has their hands in the treasury and the other wants only 2% cuts in a massive 1000% bloated budget.
None of this makes sense to me and we as a nation have the bill due now.

All the other debates are cute but fairly meaningless.

Those who still want theirs needs to pay all the bills first and that IMO leaves them on another planet. Planet Zero.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:23 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator487 View Post

I put other as my vote.

I believe that neither side is willing to tell the truth to the public and let it stand at that. they dont tell the truth or the whole truth because they think that the public will not vote for their party and vote for the other.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:33 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,939,956 times
Cultural/Geographic differences are number one in my opinion. I have little in common with a West Coast liberal, for example.

The media is a manifestation, not the source.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:43 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Well hmm, I'll take a stab that you're left of center, either a moderate Democrat or a moderate Independent.
Yes. I agree with your pronouncement. Left of center, moderate, independent would be my assessment too. Even though most UF Gators are conservative.

Seems like a reasonable, dare I say even likable leftie.

And I agree too that it is becoming less and less possible to agree on anything with the "other side" these days.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 PM

659 posts, read 1,758,857 times
I think we're letting politicians and not-so-fair-or-balanced "news"casters tell us what/how to think.

And I think we've let the talking points control the conversation, which has completely denegrated into us vs. them. It no longer seems to matter what "us" wants or what "them" wants, as long as "we" tow the respective party line - at any cost.

I also think we all (roughly) want the same things - we just can't agree on how to accomplish those things. It's a shame we've let the "how" dominate the "what."

And we're letting political agendas that are attempting to legislate social issues for platform brownie points distract us from real problems - like money and war.

Every single American who votes exclusively (D) (R) or (I) jus' cuz - should be completely ashamed of themselves for being such tools. And every single American who votes on the single principle of "I don't care who wins the election as long as it's not THAT guy" could stand to take some ethics pointers from Snooki.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Cultural/Geographic differences are number one in my opinion. I have little in common with a West Coast liberal, for example.
I think it is just one important difference. I live in the east but spend a good bit of time in the pacific northwest, Seattle specifically. Love this area and the people but sometimes I feel like I have entered a foreign country as far as attitudes and politics.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:14 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,188,547 times
You know, I'm starting to believe in this chemtrail conspiracy...

How else can anyone explain the polarization and complete lack of compromise in today's America?

BTW, I voted other.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:14 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,918,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post

Do you have anything in common with a Miami or Boca Raton liberal? It's barely about geography and about ideology. Americans have moved all over from every corner of the country. Are you a Florida native? There ain't many in that state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies