Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 04:50 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
Honey. I have been in a monogamous relationship with my partner for 29 years (although sometime it seems like a thousand). You know nothing about my "life style". Should I just assume you're heterosexual and you bang your fat wife in the missionary position once a week? No. I don't know you and I don't care to. Do whatever makes you happy (within reason among consenting adults).

I'm just saying that nobody should live their life a certain way so as not to offend certain delicate people who are desperate to find offence in how other people live.

MYOB and all will be well.

Do you get it now sweetheart?
Here's what I get. Your words. Verbatim.

Quote:
If you want to jump into the middle of a 30 man gang bang (of which I would undoubtedly be a part of) so what!
Are you sure you're able to keep up? Because you clearly advocate for lifestyle that's not healthy. Comprendo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 05:02 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,148 times
Here's a day in a life of a "gay/bisexual" person.

8am: Wake up. The studio I live in is messy. I vow to clean it in 30 minutes.

10am: I'm off the internet and now will start cleaning.

10:45am: Screw cleaning. I have papers to grade and lessons to plan.

2pm: I'm done planning lessons and grading, now to do some light cleaning.

2:45pm: Off to Gimbap Nada to get chamchi gimbap for lunch

2:50pm: I'm in the office doing last minute stuff before class.

9:55pm: Done with work.

10:30pm: Beer and video games for the next few hours.

1am: Sleep

It changes depending on the schedule since on Tues. and Fridays I work at 10:30 am till 9: 55pm.

On Sat. I might go out to Hongdae. I don't like Itaewon (aka Homo Hill) since it's not my scene.

As you can see, it's pretty tame. Okay, I do sometimes get REALLY drunk (as drunk as any other normal 20 something year old who sometimes works 12 hr days). However, I don't go to sex parties. I don't have random sex (in college I did, but not more so than my peers). Most of my friends are straight (I'm bi...but gay leaning). They accept it and just go with it. They don't think that I'm some sort of hyper sexed deviant. They also know I'm not this super trendy guy. I do have a lot of clothes, but only so I don't have to do as much laundry (no dryers in Korea, so I figure I can have a ton of easy to wear cheap clothes instead of devoting entire weekends to laundry). I like to play video games and while I'm often on the computer, it's really the only form of entertainment I have save for the gym (which I go 3 times a week) and jogging (at least when I'm not with my friends).

This is my lifestyle. It's pretty normal and tame. In fact, some would say boring. It's pretty indistinguishable from the typical American heterosexual lifestyle except that I have a complicated on again off again boyfriend and that I live in South Korea.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:15 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,265 times
What is this, 1987 in City-Data land? LOL. Sure enough there is a "gay subculture" that many movies, books, and magazines center on. However, their is a sizable contingent (some sources say majority) of gay people that don't participate and even look down on such behavior.

However, for the "straight" people who seem to think "most" gay people live their life this way, reasoning or explaining their fallacy will not work. Their beliefs are based in psychological reasons which are too involved to go into here. Trying to "teach" them about it on a website forum is simply a waste of time and energy.

Last edited by Lior Arel; 03-27-2011 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: Edited for typos

Old 03-27-2011, 05:50 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,376,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsylvanian1 View Post
I concede that 'gay lifestyle' is probably not the best term to use when expressing ones opinion about what should actually be termed a behavior. I firmly believe that homosexuality is not a choice. This may be an unorthodox view for a Christian, however, I believe the logic is sound. If sexual orientation is produced by influences such as environment, parenting, and personal experiences, (some of which have the propensity to interrupt normal sexual maturity), then the actual choice to participate in homosexual behavior is nothing other than a natural response to conditioning. In essence, it is this conditioning which produces the lifestyle, much in the same way that an abused child develops an altered sense of his/her own perception of normal sexual behavior because of a history of abuse.

This is in no way to be construed as a catch all cause of homosexuality, but rather an example of how environment, and other causative factors can influence 'sexual orientation', or sexual behavior.
So you basically want to ignore all the science and facts and go with the unsupported opinions of the ex-gay religious fringe groups?

The groups that hundreds of thousands of mainstream health professionals warn against because of their lack of evidence-based theories, their long discredited notions of sexual orientation and their religious bias against homosexuals?

Mmmm okay....

Old 03-27-2011, 06:52 AM

88,507 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
No. You don't. You choose to remain willfully ignorant about sexual orientation and spread misinformation about gay people. That's not "love".
"Hate the sin but love the sinner" has to win the prize for most over-used cliche.

Jesus said to love your neighbor as yourself. He didn't add any qualifiers.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:06 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
"Hate the sin but love the sinner" has to win the prize for most over-used cliche.

Jesus said to love your neighbor as yourself. He didn't add any qualifiers.
I'm fine with people who hate the sin, love the person. My problem is with people who hate the person. I have gay friends who have been beat by their parents, kicked out by their parents, and disowned by their parents...for being gay. The reasoning behind this behavior? They believed their child had "turned to the gay life style" and the image they had in mind was lots of partying, lots of sex, drugs and alcohol. But the gay friends I have that got kicked out by their parents don't do these things. They just have parents that (in this case) used the Bible (though I realize not all Christians are like this and the Bible is just the excuse) to justify completely cruel and loveless behavior.

If some parents didn't take it the extreme like this, I wouldn't have such a hard time with this mentality. But parents who end up hating their children and kicking them out start out by buying into this media concept of "the gay lifestyle" when in reality, most gay people, just like most straight people, lead normal lives.

If more people would see that gay people do the same things as straight people, then maybe fewer parents would be driven to kicking out their own child.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:11 AM

Given this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101
Honey. I have been in a monogamous relationship with my partner for 29 years (although sometime it seems like a thousand). You know nothing about my "life style".
…I have a feeling that this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101
If you want to jump into the middle of a 30 man gang bang (of which I would undoubtedly be a part of) so what! Don't try to live your life to accomodate some idiot bible-beating, knuckle-dragging, slobbering, slope headed, republican "concerned christians for american eagles who are crucified for unborn 9-11 anti-muslim patriots" people!
…may be a case of the worst typo ever.

Correct me if I'm wrong. If I am right, then this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC
Here's what I get. Your words. Verbatim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC
Are you sure you're able to keep up? Because you clearly advocate for lifestyle that's not healthy. Comprendo?
…response needs to be reevaluated.

Just hoping to clear some things up.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:12 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsylvanian1 View Post
I concede that 'gay lifestyle' is probably not the best term to use when expressing ones opinion about what should actually be termed a behavior. I firmly believe that homosexuality is not a choice. This may be an unorthodox view for a Christian, however, I believe the logic is sound. If sexual orientation is produced by influences such as environment, parenting, and personal experiences, (some of which have the propensity to interrupt normal sexual maturity), then the actual choice to participate in homosexual behavior is nothing other than a natural response to conditioning. In essence, it is this conditioning which produces the lifestyle, much in the same way that an abused child develops an altered sense of his/her own perception of normal sexual behavior because of a history of abuse. As an example, some women, for this reason, may become inordinately promiscuous, or some may have certain fears arising from distrust due to the conditioning resulting from a single, or from, repetitious experiences as a child.

This is in no way to be construed as a catch all cause of homosexuality, but rather an example of how environment, and other causative factors can influence 'sexual orientation', or sexual behavior. No lifestyle is conducted with a focus solely on fulfilling sexual needs, exept for those members of society whose drive/compulsion dominates their daily life, and therefore, although I've used the term many times myself, 'gay lifestyle' may not be the most suitable description when referring to the lives of homosexuals.

Having said that, to introduce a little clarification, it isn't the 'lifestyle' that Christians are opposed to, unless the sexual exploits of homosexuals are somehow being made public, (in which case, acts of sex between individuals of the same sex is prohibited in the Christian Bible), but rather, it is the forced transitioning of society into this radical progressive ideology that is attempting to influence the nation, and the world, on Political, Educational, and Ecclesiastical fronts. When these areas are affected, we are no longer discussing the private activities of consenting individuals, but rather, affecting the value systems of millions of people who have as much right to believe that homosexuality is wrong, and abnormal, as homosexuals have to believe it is right, or normal.
They have the right to believe in what ever fantasy they want. but you religious bigots take it too far and put your bible based beliefs into law with your agenda to make everyone believe in and follow the commandments of it.. That is what is WRONG. Gays are not forcing you or any straight person to marry a gay person. No more that making interracial marriage legal forced whites to marry blacks. It is wrong for the bible thumpers to force everyone to believe in their bible. It is tyranny of the majority. All I want is the same exact equal rights to marriage, not a second class knock off that YOU are willing to let us have. Get Real.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:19 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
They have the right to believe in what ever fantasy they want. but you religious bigots take it too far and put your bible based beliefs into law with your agenda to make everyone believe in and follow the commandments of it.. That is what is WRONG. Gays are not forcing you or any straight person to marry a gay person. No more that making interracial marriage legal forced whites to marry blacks. It is wrong for the bible thumpers to force everyone to believe in their bible. It is tyranny of the majority. All I want is the same exact equal rights to marriage, not a second class knock off that YOU are willing to let us have. Get Real.
Felt compelled to respond to this even though you weren't quoting my post.

I think most people understand your desire for "equal" treatment. But I have to ask: You seem content with attacking religion so i'll go out on a limb and assume you don't believe in God. Are you at all concerned with life after death? Will you be happy to acheive equal treatment under the law here on Earth only to find out you were on the wrong side of Pascals Wager after death? I'm not implying homosexuality = hell or heterosexual = heaven. I'm always concerned when I encounter someone who completely and wholly dismisses the idea of eternity.

You can respond or just chalk it up to rhetorical questions. Up to you.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Felt compelled to respond to this even though you weren't quoting my post.

I think most people understand your desire for "equal" treatment. But I have to ask: You seem content with attacking religion so i'll go out on a limb and assume you don't believe in God. Are you at all concerned with life after death? Will you be happy to acheive equal treatment under the law here on Earth only to find out you were on the wrong side of Pascals Wager after death? I'm not implying homosexuality = hell or heterosexual = heaven. I'm always concerned when I encounter someone who completely and wholly dismisses the idea of eternity.

You can respond or just chalk it up to rhetorical questions. Up to you.
I believe in God and life after death. I'm very much concerned with the effect my actions have on other people and on my soul's evolution and their soul's evolution.

Oh, and I'm gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies