Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:35 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And more people than ever are on welfare programs, more children than ever before are born into welfare programs. Clinton did not decrease welfare programs nor the number of welfare recipients.

And to make up for the TANF, all the welfare types have to do is rent out their food stamp cards, sell WIC coupons, or like you see on Craigslist all the time, now, sell their excess baby formula. Or if they live in a state with can or bottle deposits, they can use their food stamps to buy a lot of cheap soft drinks, go out to the parking lot and pour out the contents and then return the cans for cash.
I don't know about where you live but in Michigan you can get a 2 liter bottle of Coke or Pepsi ON SALE for $.89 to $.99 the depoist is only $.10. I've never seen anybody empty a bottle of soda just to get a $.10 deposit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 08:41 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Welfare Rolls Still Plunging After All These Years, and Still Underreported | cleveland.com

Welfare

Some links about how number of people on welfare dropped after 1996.

Mind, I believe in the past three years the number has risen, but I don't have the numbers.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:46 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
I am a product of the 60's and participated in work programs like YCC (Youth Conservation Corps) for underprivileged kids. In my case I got to
plant trees, release crop trees and we even worked a small forest fire once. It got me out of the house and I did something positive; I even made a little money.
I also worked summers cleaning the schools getting them ready for fall class.

Why can't we do something similar with those on welfare? Or if you want to extend unemployment for those whose benefits have expired require them to work 10-20 hours a week in some sort of volunteer program that would benefit everyone.

It could be something as simple as picking up trash along the highways or working at a park or rec center to help maintain the grounds. They could push a mower at the local middle school or spend time at the local food pantry.

This would benefit everyone, the recipient gets off the couch (assuming they were, I am generalizing) and gets some exercise. They are doing something positive which should make them feel good about themselves. They may meet someone while working who can help find them a job. They are giving back making those footing the bill see some benefit for the expense.

Comments???
Fist, picking up trash and "community service" positions for non profit organizations are full from court mandated restitution for petty crime and violations. People are given community service because jails are over crowed.

Second, Until the gov. puts and end to the rampant outsourcing and illegal immigration and stops putting the screws to small business owners how will it justify increasing taxes to implement and administer work programs that will cost more than what it does now to provide assistance.

I think job training and work programs are an excellent idea but first this country is going to have to create jobs without increasing taxes and welfare costs. Right now we have college grads and people with years of practical experience that cant find a job in their field and are having to take jobs in fast food service if they can get them. How do you suggest that we find jobs for those having a national unemployment rate of over 12%. And many that do have jobs are not able to earn a living wage and are still eligible for some welfare programs because they fall under the poverty guidelines.

I think before throwing more money at this problem we really need to address keeping decent jobs in our county, focus on providing everyone with an education including reproductive education, revamp the welfare program to include time limits, job training, and no additional money for additional children.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:49 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
My only comment is that I agree with you.

I am sure, though, that it would cost the government $$$$$ to implement the oversight of this type of program. As worthy as it would be for the good of society, too many people would be up in arms about administering that.
Well there would be liability in having untrained citizens on the side of a road picking up trash. People assume they would have common sense, but part of the reason they could be on welfare might include a LACK of common sense.

We have to limit the welfare to 6 months unless they are really disabled. After that make them go through charity where people could help them find a job, encourage them or tell them to get off their lazy butt and work.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:09 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
I am a product of the 60's and participated in work programs like YCC (Youth Conservation Corps) for underprivileged kids. In my case I got to
plant trees, release crop trees and we even worked a small forest fire once. It got me out of the house and I did something positive; I even made a little money.

Why can't we do something similar with those on welfare? Or if you want to extend unemployment for those whose benefits have expired require them to work 10-20 hours a week in some sort of volunteer program that would benefit everyone.

It could be something as simple as picking up trash along the highways or working at a park or rec center to help maintain the grounds. They could push a mower at the local middle school or spend time at the local food pantry.

This would benefit everyone, the recipient gets off the couch (assuming they were, I am generalizing) and gets some exercise. They are doing something positive which should make them feel good about themselves. They may meet someone while working who can help find them a job. They are giving back making those footing the bill see some benefit for the expense.

Comments???

I think these are wonderful ideas. Basically you're saying "hey, you want to continue to receive your benefits? Then you will put in a couple hours a day, or week picking up trash along the highway, or volunteering at soup kitchens ect." The effects on someone mentally can be huge! It could give someone a sense of accomplishment, keep them from getting complacent, and keep them motivated to find a job. I was out of work for 4 months, and let me tell you it flat out sucks, and really screws with your self-esteem! In these times the... rich, poor, middle class, corporations ALL OF US need to help each other out instead of the constant bickering that is going on now. Wasn't it Kennedy who said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country?"

Which brings me to my next question. What is the solution for the corporate welfare? When are we going to put a stop to rewarding failure with bailouts? If I own a small business, and it is failing, it's on me.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:01 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:

Comments???
It has been brought up before. The "Public Works" departments and the public unions complained because they said it was their job to do those things.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:34 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
It has been brought up before. The "Public Works" departments and the public unions complained because they said it was their job to do those things.
You guys are all focusing on the negative aspects of this. If the Parks people get upset then how about a clean stream program? Or working with the homeless shelters.

There are many ways to give back and make this better situation for all.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:44 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I think these are wonderful ideas. Basically you're saying "hey, you want to continue to receive your benefits? Then you will put in a couple hours a day, or week picking up trash along the highway, or volunteering at soup kitchens ect." The effects on someone mentally can be huge! It could give someone a sense of accomplishment, keep them from getting complacent, and keep them motivated to find a job. I was out of work for 4 months, and let me tell you it flat out sucks, and really screws with your self-esteem! In these times the... rich, poor, middle class, corporations ALL OF US need to help each other out instead of the constant bickering that is going on now. Wasn't it Kennedy who said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country?"

Which brings me to my next question. What is the solution for the corporate welfare? When are we going to put a stop to rewarding failure with bailouts? If I own a small business, and it is failing, it's on me.
First part is called workfare, better to end it after a short time and leave it for only the massively disabled.

What corporate welfare? If you come up with more special taxes on them, then that becomes YOUR TAX, like a vat tax.

If Corps zero out and don't show a profit they pay zero tax. But by doing that taxes are paid big time.
#1 All the payroll taxes for paychecks corporations pay.
#2 Taxes on those collecting dividends or profits on sales of their stock.
#3 Reinvestment back into the company or to a new verture. (Not a direct tax, but speding in the economy that makes other jobs in other companys).

If a CEO collects stock or pay, they are often subject to lots of income taxes. In many states it could easily be 51% of their income.

There are plenty of taxes, add more and they will be all yours as they raise prices. You have to use your noodle and think the end result through IMO.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:46 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
It sure would sit a lot better with many of us if the welfare was more than an "existence" check. Give the taxpayer SOMETHING for it. With short term unemployment I do not have a problem with not requiring any community service type work as they are most likely looking for a job and to receive it they had to have job history. Pure welfare though, we need to remove the incentives not to work. Many seem to have a character trait that allows them to sit around and exist at a very basic level if it excuses them from working for something more. It is completely unfair to the rest of us that are supprting that existence to not get compensated in some way.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:49 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
Just to add another thought; I do not believe in taxing corporations. I could be satisfied with a 5-10% flat tax though with no loopholes to avoid it. We all know businesses do not actually pay any taxes as it is passed to the consumers, but to appease the segment of society that feels we should tax business I could accept that. I also believe it should be unlawful for a corp to receive subsidies or bailouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies