Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 02:10 PM

683 posts, read 823,465 times

Advertisements

Will Republicans Privatize Debtors' Prisons, Too? ~~~ A Return To Dicken's World (VIDEO)
http://jade-log.newsvine.com/_news/2...ns-world-video

Old 03-26-2011, 02:13 PM

50,159 posts, read 46,820,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Did you start businesses, or are you self employed? Very big difference with regards to government regulation.

And I guess I should have clarified - I'd never start a business in CA, because of over-regulation. One example - an't have delivery trucks idling outside of your business, must convert trucks at great expense to those same trucks. What do you think it will do to commerce down the road?

I am starting a business - just not in CA.
No one could blame you either.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:32 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,984,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
It isn't a party issue, it is an issue of having no money.
Well said.

How you get 20% unemployment (They were paying out for 17% unemployment in Nov of 2010.) is by not having enough money. Until the debt load drops to a sustainable level then we wont see economic growth.

With the fuel price hikes we will see economic contraction.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:40 PM

1,123 posts, read 774,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
As for the rest of your post, I'll just close with this (grammatically incorrect as it is):You cannot make blanket statements for which you have no clue of what you are talking about.
So you have no facts or ability to debate to bring to the table, I'll take that as your white flag. Thanks for playing

Old 03-26-2011, 03:48 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,757,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
You know that how? It might well be a bunch of little mom and pop operations getting money so they can hire Joe Sixpack to do what the government had done before.
This is what you can expect when public services are privatized. Here is an example from privatization of water:

Quote:
1) rates can go up. Privately run systems in the state of Illinois average rates 36 percent higher than those publicly owned.

2) Services decline. Privately-run systems rack up more violations of water quality standards.

3) Local control and transparency suffer.
Chicagoans throw cold water on privatization plan » peoplesworld

Old 03-26-2011, 04:02 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,757,550 times
If we sell all our public services to the private sector, don't think it will be cheaper! You will pay high fees for these services as well as your usual taxes.

This is a way for government to maintain its current revenue while cutting spending. They fail to tell you that you will be spending more!

Anyone who thinks privatizing public services is a good idea, must enjoy getting less for more!

Old 03-26-2011, 04:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This is what you can expect when public services are privatized. Here is an example from privatization of water:

Chicagoans throw cold water on privatization plan » peoplesworld
It depends where you live.
I'm on private water and it's much cheaper than city water.
And it's all from the same source no less.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:15 PM

257 posts, read 326,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
If you're intelligent enough to remove emotion from the situation you can find some very telling items in that article

I don't care how you look at it, if the city can't afford the inflated pensions and other similar programs they can't afford them. Unless you can magically come up with a better answer you shouldn't be bitching about this and I know that the lefties in this thread have no chance of coming up with a better answer since they've done this to the majority of CA already.
They need to reform their pension system as the mayor of Atlanta has proposed for that city:

Atlanta mayor proposes pension revisions | Reporter Newspapers

Privatizing everything surely isn't the answer.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:28 PM

88,804 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If we sell all our public services to the private sector, don't think it will be cheaper! You will pay high fees for these services as well as your usual taxes.
Why wouldn't taxes decrease? Government services and public employees would be cut, so why wouldn't taxes also be cut?

Old 03-26-2011, 06:28 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,423,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post

So you have no facts or ability to debate to bring to the table, I'll take that as your white flag. Thanks for playing
Well why the hell not. You're going to take whatever I say however you want anyway, so why bother? You can't be swayed by reason. You can't be swayed by facts. You can't be swayed by conscience. You can't be swayed, period. So there's really no further reason to try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.