Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 09:55 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
I've seen your posts, and they include zero facts, just dogmatic nonsense like "i opened a business." Whoopedy do, so what?

Is that supposed to explain how government regulation in many states are not destroying the private sector's ability to function? I then presented multiple examples, such as the insurance and restaurant business in NY - which you of course ignored.

But you did go into the typical far left screeching emotional diatribe found in the "break when cannot compete with facts" glass box in the emergency debate kit kept by all far leftists...

So don't accuse me of being impervious to facts, since you have yet to present any.
Good post.

Quote:
But they can't. They're the 40% of the country who pay nothing in taxes each year...
Good point.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
But they can't. They're the 40% of the country who pay nothing in taxes each year...
I probably pay more in taxes than most of these cons make in a year.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:59 PM

769 posts, read 1,013,298 times
privatizing everything is beyond moronic

Old 03-27-2011, 02:41 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I'm so sick of this "at the taxpayer's expense" Moderator cut: language. Government workers are taxpayers, too. And if city services are farmed out to private corporations, the taxpayers are still going to have to pay the price for those services -- for life.

Not to mention the fact that you completely ignore the fact that the state had a fiduciary responsibility that they are failing to meet. How that becomes the worker's fault is beyond my comprehension.

Not to mention that you seem to be operating under the false impression that the average public employee, or their unions, had any choice about "getting out". Just because you put the word 'fact' in ALL CAPS, doesn't make it one. It's mind-boggling. After all these months of discussion and debate on this issue, you're still holding onto the notion that public employees didn't pay into their pension plans. They did. They not only paid in a percentage of their salary in many cases, but they also deferred current salary increases to future payments in the form of pensions. That's exactly the same thing as contributing their own money into the pension. "I'll forgo a 5% COL raise now, for a 2% raise in my current salary, in exchange for 3% going into my pension fund." That's a contribution.
What I saw was public workers expecting a COLA
when inflation was at zero

What I see, is states like WI where union state employees didn't contribute to their pensions nor nothing to health care.
They expect their state to carry them the rest of
their life and their state does not have the money

Now, I don't live in WI and I don't
live in NJ, or CA either. But I'm not going to
bail those states out with my federal dollars.
I won't, and you can't make me

What I see is unions in state government - that
don't belong in the fiduciary board room. Guess
who does - the taxpayer. We usually do that
through voting, but I guess we can take off of
work to present ourselves in person to get
our point across But... we might get fired,
or loose pay if we are self employed

And as far as what teachers contribute or not -
there our 14 states that have Teacher Retirement
Funds, and they don't pay Social Security, except
IF they work those three months off the year,
somewhere else. To me - that's a double deep.

The average teacher retirement at 29 years in
Illinois is 3500 plus a month at age 59. The non
state worker has to wait until age 66 to
get a Social Security Check. The average S.S.check is around $1000 - $1600.
So this "poor teacher scenario can not be further from the truth".

I think you have a lot of dead weight, as a
result of unions. And to be honest, I don't
even think a person should be teaching primary
grades at 29 years - I think you've burned yourself out.

And you know Jill, I am a proponent of universal
health care. How can we get there - if all public
workers share none of the cost of that expense.

And no, I don't think this situation is the state
worker's fault. I just think they are thoughtless

Old 03-27-2011, 04:22 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Take from and spend other people's money? It was their money. They paid into their pension funds. They negotiated pension benefits in lieu of larger salary increases. IOW, deferred "salary" until after retirement. It was their money.

And they should suffer because the city mismanaged it? Outrageous! Lessons the left can pull out of this? LMAO! You seem to have missed the point of the thread, too. It's the Right who are learning the lessons from this.

And they are Not. Happy.

And stop with the tired canard that this is redistributing other people's wealth. That's just absurd on its face.
You seriously need a reality check.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:04 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,046,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
privatizing everything is beyond moronic
So if the police are privatized... They are now working for a corporation and not the people... Where is the letter of the law being followed?... Soon people will be getting arrested for any reason they see fit... You're going to see a lot of jam packed privately owned jails and prisons... This is the beginning of a corporate takeover of the public interests...

It will become corporate communism...

Old 03-27-2011, 07:05 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Oooh! YES! let's privatize everything!

Then when your house is on fire and you suddenly remember you haven't made your last $500 payment to the Fire Protection Corporation....you watch your house burn to the ground.

And if your house starts the neighbor's house on fire YOU pay for that, too.

AND your insurance won't cover you because you didn't make your last payment.

AND if your street wasn't plowed because your neighbors didn't make their payment to the Road Clearing Corporation the Fire Fighters couldn't be expected to get there anyway

And that Flood Control Corporation....will they back off if their profits are down and their CEO can't make his billions????

How much will the Parks Corporations charge for entry into NATIONAL parks?

How much will you be charged to use the court system?

How much should libraries charge? $100 a month, a thousand?

How high will food prices go when The Corporation for Testing Food charges whatever they want like ALL OTHER PRIVATE CORPORATIONS????

Old 03-27-2011, 09:11 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Oooh! YES! let's privatize everything!

Then when your house is on fire and you suddenly remember you haven't made your last $500 payment to the Fire Protection Corporation....you watch your house burn to the ground.

And if your house starts the neighbor's house on fire YOU pay for that, too.

AND your insurance won't cover you because you didn't make your last payment.

AND if your street wasn't plowed because your neighbors didn't make their payment to the Road Clearing Corporation the Fire Fighters couldn't be expected to get there anyway

And that Flood Control Corporation....will they back off if their profits are down and their CEO can't make his billions????

How much will the Parks Corporations charge for entry into NATIONAL parks?

How much will you be charged to use the court system?

How much should libraries charge? $100 a month, a thousand?

How high will food prices go when The Corporation for Testing Food charges whatever they want like ALL OTHER PRIVATE CORPORATIONS????
What I bolded is as far as I could go.

You are saying if you DON'T make your payment you should still get service?

If you don't pay your internet bill you are going to be cut off. If you don't pay your car loan your car will be repossessed. I guess you haven't heard anything lately about house foreclosures.

Hint. if you don't pay your bills, you don't get services whether it is gov't run or privately run.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
So if the police are privatized... They are now working for a corporation and not the people... Where is the letter of the law being followed?... Soon people will be getting arrested for any reason they see fit... You're going to see a lot of jam packed privately owned jails and prisons... This is the beginning of a corporate takeover of the public interests...

It will become corporate communism...
LOLs. I never heard such nonsense.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:43 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
What I bolded is as far as I could go.

You are saying if you DON'T make your payment you should still get service?""""

NO WHERE DID I POST THAT.

"""If you don't pay your internet bill you are going to be cut off. If you don't pay your car loan your car will be repossessed. I guess you haven't heard anything lately about house foreclosures.

Hint. if you don't pay your bills, you don't get services whether it is gov't run or privately run.
The POINT is that the services that some take for granted now will NOT be the norm if they are privatized. AND American citizens will have to pay WHATEVER the Corporations say.....or get NO services that they NOW take for granted.

NOW, for EXAMPLE, if there's a fire, the fire department responds no matter whose building it is.....as it should be, as it is the safest thing to do, as it's the common sense thing to do...

If it's privatized, as my post CLEARLY states, the Fire Corporation will ONLY respond to those whose payments are up to date.....and they can charge ANYTHING they want.....

Which is VERY helpful to the Repug's ANTI-American Class War on the Poor and Middle Income Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies