Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 02:58 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Property taxes are at a historical low? Since when?
Do you have proof of that? Cite please.
Minnesota property taxes went up 89% under Pawlenty. All he left us was a mountain of debt and pot holes.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:05 PM

89,008 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Nope.. there is nothing illegal about loaning amount money and then selling that note to another party..
What's illegal is intentionally misrepresenting the quality of the investment. That was done by both the GSEs and then subsequently by the financial firms which tried to compete with the GSEs. 2.5 years ago, I posted an explanation of how they waterfalled their tranches to pull off the fraud:
//www.city-data.com/forum/5516422-post17.html

Old 03-27-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Minnesota property taxes went up 89% under Pawlenty. All he left us was a mountain of debt and pot holes.
And do the public employees and their unions insist on collective bargaining for even more?

Old 03-27-2011, 03:12 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Let me share this with some of you. There was some GOP fool that made a broad claim that government employees make too much money (six figures) so in a knee jerk reaction the government decide to eliminate GS 6/7 positions throughout the VA hospital system. Ok, some of you are saying "good for them" but the people that are GS 6-7 make no more more than 50,000 grand a year (unless they been there forever). The rub is that in order for anyone to progress to any higher level i.e 10-13 from a lower level such as a GS 4 or 5 they have to be a 6 or a 7.

Ok so many of you are thinking "so what" well, now you have deserving people of promotions that will never come and to top it off it is now mandatory for ALL military members who are going to be discharged to report to the Va hospitals. I guess what I'm saying is how much good work could you expect from people with no hope of promotion and an increased workload? To top it all off the same amount of people who were making 6 figures will not change since now in order to fill those positions they will now go outside of the VA to fill them with non vets, the same ones that are screwing up the system in the first place!

Thanks to the the unions and management the lttle class is screwed again!

Old 03-27-2011, 03:46 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If the taxpayers do not want higher taxes and the revenue is not there what are state governments supposed to do ?
1) Attack unions/organized labor under the guise of "cutting costs"
2) Convince the middle class/working poor to compete against one another

I have to admit, there are some things Republicans excel at

Old 03-27-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
1) Attack unions/organized labor under the guise of "cutting costs"
Attack? No. Bring in line with the private sector? Yes.
Quote:
2) Convince the middle class/working poor to compete against one another
That doesn't even make any sense. Since when do public employees compete for anything? They're almost always protected from the consequences of their incompetence/bad behavior by their unions.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:00 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Attack? No. Bring in line with the private sector? Yes.
That doesn't even make any sense. Since when do public employees compete for anything? They're almost always protected from the consequences of their incompetence/bad behavior by their unions.
With no intent on your part you really prove my point. The class warfare, their pitting some guy making 40k against another guy making 50 or 60k in the the "private sector" is working beautifully. Throw in the Bush/Obama era "tax breaks" and they probably laugh themselves silly whenever the rich see this unfold.

I've never once implied that Republicans were completely incompetent. At some levels these old white guys are experts, with lots of money and mass media to back them up

Old 03-27-2011, 05:02 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Typical Liberal mindset. I have no personal responsibility, and can't possibly be expected to honor my commitments and pay my bills. Therefore, the govt must protect me from my own incompetence.
Typical Repug mindset.... I have no personal responsibility to pay taxes for living in this country. I want everything for free....I am entitled....and can't be expected to pay my share....therefore everyone else should suffer so I can have everything I want or I'll pout....

Old 03-27-2011, 05:36 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Taxes are at a historical low and our services we receive, MOST YOU are NOT aware of, are a bargain....it is VERY AntiAmerican, and traitorous to be like Repugs and to live here for free!!!....what a sense of ENTITLEMENT Republicans have!!!!!
Railroads tried collusion in the 1800s. It didn't work.

And you say what is stopping the phone companies from collusion? Well something is. It called the law of economics.

You can't give one example of collusion that has ever been succesfull. Not one. The law of economics will not allow it.

And fire departments are not magically exempt from this.

Who said anything about living here for free?

And who said a private fire department would demand payment beforehand. Or refuse to provide service if a bill was missed.

There are literally thousands of companies that perform services before payment is rendered. And there are thousands that continue service even if a payment or two is missed. And who said the fire department would demand monetary payment?

Why do you think that a privatized fire company would somehow be different than any other service? What makes fire fighting so different?

I'm aware of the services we recieve and their cost. It's obviuos the private sector provides services cheaper and better than government everytime. It's not even debatable.

Why do you say I am not aware of services provided by the government? You don't even know me.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:39 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Typical Repug mindset.... I have no personal responsibility to pay taxes for living in this country. I want everything for free....I am entitled....and can't be expected to pay my share....therefore everyone else should suffer so I can have everything I want or I'll pout....
Yawn.

What a bunch of nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies