Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:55 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Except the private property is owned by the company that owns the shopping mall and not by Target. Also the state supreme court has ruled that public spaces, including privately owned spaces open to the public (like shopping malls), have to either not let anyone promote issues on the property or they have to let everyone do so but they can't pick and choose.
Any who are they letting promote issues on the property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 12:00 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Target feels that their actions are harming business.

If I owned a business, I'd do the same thing no matter the message of the group.
If they're on public property, there's nothing you can do.
If the property isn't private... oh well.
That first amendment sucks, doesn't it?

Old 03-25-2011, 12:04 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,380,531 times
since when is a shopping center public property? hint: it isn't.. that's why I never stop for the stop signs in them and ignore the hell out of their little speed limit signs.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:04 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,482,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
That is incorrect. As stated in the OP they had a table outside the entrance to the story and attempted to pass out fliers about Target's support and funding of anti-gay groups in various states. Since I live in San Diego I've seen them at my local Target and I find it extremely hard to believe a guy sitting at a table off to one side "cornered" anyone. Instead, you'd usually see the homophobic bigots start shouting anti-gay garbage and than get upset when the gay guy calmly proves all of their supposed points wrong.

Homophobes, unhappy about losing a debate they initiated, than claim they were "corned" by a guy siting in a chair. That's just BS as any honest person would admit.

So since "you" weren't cornered by one of these advocates, you are saying that no one else was? Is your experience definitive?

Old 03-25-2011, 12:06 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,482,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If they're on public property, there's nothing you can do.
If the property isn't private... oh well.
That first amendment sucks, doesn't it?
And if they weren't on "public property" the owners have a right to govern the use of their own property.

Property rights suck, don't they?

Old 03-25-2011, 12:15 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,197,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
You mean like the Christofascists are out of control with their bigotry and ignorance?

Here's hoping that the court rules in favor of the canvassers. As stated in the link, the courts have ruled in the past that people have a right to canvass in a public square, like a shopping center.

Also, I wonder if Target would do the same if the people in front were conservatives...
Target threw out the Salvation Army Santas ! All of them . LMAO

Old 03-25-2011, 12:17 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Target sues San Diego gay rights group - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110325/ap_on_re_us/us_target_lawsuit - broken link)

Good for Target! Customers shouldn't be hassled by various groups.
As long as they do the same to everyone else, I don't really see the problem.

It's private property, after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies