Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:23 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times

Advertisements

John Stossel

"Some Americans actually make a living … begging for money. Professional panhandlers, they’re called, sometimes making more than $100 in a day. I tried it in Manhattan, and made over $11 in one hour—that would be $23,000 a year—tax free!

It’s a small example of why some say the USA is turning into a nation of freeloaders. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 03:31 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
John Stossel
"Some Americans actually make a living … begging for money. Professional panhandlers, they’re called, sometimes making more than $100 in a day. I tried it in Manhattan, and made over $11 in one hour—that would be $23,000 a year—tax free!
It’s a small example of why some say the USA is turning into a nation of freeloaders. "
Too funny. You tried it or are you quoting John Stossel?

Old 03-25-2011, 03:50 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
I don't help "professionals". They're easy to spot: relatively young, look well-fed, moderately dressed. But for a real down-and-out person humanity cries out to at least buy them a meal if a fast-food or market is nearby.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:53 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,982 times
Quote:
John Stossel

I'm nearing retirement and I've got some ideas on how to spend my free time, other than sleeping, of course. My latest thought is to either buy or perhaps rent a dunk tank and become a dunk tank clown. This is seasonal work but that's okay. After all I would retire to stop working.

Another thought was to become a freeway exit panhandler. I would have my own niche however. I would work a traffic light at a freeway on-ramp in the morning during rush hour, and work the accompanying exit ramp in the late afternoon during the return rush hour. I would be dressed rag-tag in the morning, complete with greasy hair, but I'd be wearing a clean suit and freshly shampooed hair in in the late afternoon on the exit ramp. The idea would be so folks could see how their dollar had improved my life over the course of a few hours. Oddly, I'd be back to the raggedy look the following morning, so the money-making concept would require moving from one freeway ramp to another every few days.

When I became bored with such shenanigans I'd get into some other kind of hobby, such as radio-controlled model aircraft, senior citizen bodybuilding, firecrackers, or perhaps a combination of juggling and miming.

By the way, the last few months I've been hit-up for "a few dollars" at gas stations by motorists who have allegedly, "left their wallets at home". Maybe it's a new trend in mooching.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:05 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I'm nearing retirement and I've got some ideas on how to spend my free time, other than sleeping, of course. My latest thought is to either buy or perhaps rent a dunk tank and become a dunk tank clown. This is seasonal work but that's okay. After all I would retire to stop working.

Another thought was to become a freeway exit panhandler. I would have my own niche however. I would work a traffic light at a freeway on-ramp in the morning during rush hour, and work the accompanying exit ramp in the late afternoon during the return rush hour. I would be dressed rag-tag in the morning, complete with greasy hair, but I'd be wearing a clean suit and freshly shampooed hair in in the late afternoon on the exit ramp. The idea would be so folks could see how their dollar had improved my life over the course of a few hours. Oddly, I'd be back to the raggedy look the following morning, so the money-making concept would require moving from one freeway ramp to another every few days.

When I became bored with such shenanigans I'd get into some other kind of hobby, such as radio-controlled model aircraft, senior citizen bodybuilding, firecrackers, or perhaps a combination of juggling and miming.

By the way, the last few months I've been hit-up for "a few dollars" at gas stations by motorists who have allegedly, "left their wallets at home". Maybe it's a new trend in mooching.
I actually once saw a bum dressed in a clown outfit at a highway off ramp juggling, dancing around and making balloon animals, guy actually had quite a bit of people giving him money

Old 03-25-2011, 04:59 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,765 times
I knew a guy years ago that dressed in a clown outfit and worked the french quarter selling balloons to parents with kids.

I know for a fact this guy purchased several condos in the quarter with the money he made.

His wife would drop him off in the morning, come back around noon and he would give her a wad of cash to deposit then pick him up in the afternoon.

busta

Old 03-26-2011, 12:09 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
John Stossel

A small example of why a consumption tax in place of the income tax would bring everyone into the fold of paying into the system.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:22 PM

47 posts, read 65,903 times
Keep talking, I am getting ideas on how to make money.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:48 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
Between your description and government employees I think you described the majority of the Democrat base.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:51 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
A small example of why a consumption tax in place of the income tax would bring everyone into the fold of paying into the system.
That would make way too much sense to implement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies