Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 02:16 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Or more likely if those loans weren't on offer then a huge number of students would simply drop out because they can't afford higher education. Given that the US already has one of the lowest if not the lowest human development indexes in the first world do we really want to push it even lower?
I never said not to make loans available. I said they increase the cost of tuition.

If you eliminated loans and students dropped out then it would force colleges to look for ways to cut costs to attract more consumers.

Right now there is little to no incentive to reduce costs. Consumers will just borrow the money and pay later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 02:20 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Yes, an elite private school that only allows a small percentage of applicants in does indeed have pricing leverage.
The guy was explaining how colleges use student loans to increase tution. Doesn't matter if it was an elite private school or not. And he never says he was at an elite school anyway. He says it was private.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I never said not to make loans available. I said they increase the cost of tuition.

If you eliminated loans and students dropped out then it would force colleges to look for ways to cut costs to attract more consumers.

Right now there is little to no incentive to reduce costs. Consumers will just borrow the money and pay later.
In your dreams.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:44 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,278 times
Quote:
All those things you speak of raise costs. So do paying professors to take year long sabbaticals and hiring TAs to teach for them.

I'm saying if a person takes out a loan they will pay more for tuition than if they did not take out a loan. Therefore, loans increase the cost of tuition.

By the way, one of the reasons they is an increase in student population is because of student loans. It is probably the main reason.

Private schools that do not take federal money perform at a cheaper cost and get better results than government schools. I'm talking K-12.
I'm saying loans exist BECAUSE tuitions rose, not the other way around.

Private schools DO NOT perform at a lower cost. Also, why is it that the majority of people come from public schools in the Ivy League. We would expect the majority to come from private schools if they out perform public schools. I paid nothing for my education in public high school, but I got a full IB Diploma (something my hallmate paid 20k for a year). She was in the same classes I was. In fact, I received a BETTER education since I had access to better lab equipment.

Again, the rise in student population has more to do with demographics. The student loans are a RESPONSE to that. Just look at then birthrate in the 1980s compared to the 1970s. The college boom from 2000 till the present is staggering. Now with higher Hispanic birthrates and increased affluence of this population, you will see another college boom.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
People go to college without taking loans all the time.

What does this have to with Rs? Are the Rs trying to limit student loans?

I never said to take away loans. I said it raises the cost of tuition.
The vast majority are unable to. I don't think you know the stats of the modern college student.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Yes, you hit some nerves. Why? You want to take money away from me, to give to someone else, so THEIR kids can go to "college."

Tell you who goes? Who can pay? If you can afford to have children, then YOU the PARENT, needs to find away to afford to send your kids to college.

You want a eutopia world of rainbows and fluffy clouds, where everyone is equal. WERE NOT. Some people are born with a silver spoon in their mouths and have money to whatever it is they want. Some are born in the middle, who may or may not have to work for it. Some have to work their butts off for anything; others, may not get anything at all. That is life.

You haven't explained to me, why I should go to work, 70-80 hrs a week, so you can legally rob me of my money, to send someone to "college?"

As others have said, college isn't necessary to have a good life and career. I make well over 100K a year and have NO COLLEGE. So do others. Many others **** away their college educations, by drinking, gambling, womanizing, etc and LEARN NOTHING. Others who go to "college," cannot even find a job. Still others spend 7, 8 years in college and wast tax payer money.

The bottom line is simple and something YOU don't want to address:

What is so hard to understand in that statement?
My kids did not take out any student loans for their undergrad educations, so don't blame me for whatever your beef is.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-27-2011 at 07:41 PM..

Old 03-28-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Millions of people pay for their own college education and are not part of the cycle of poverty. I don't think access has anything at all to do with the cycle of poverty.

I paid every dime of my college expenses, and it didn't impair my ability to earn a very comfortable living.

Why should I pay for those who refuse to live within their means and save for college?
The vast majority do not. This is reflected in dropout rates.

You graduated before me most likely. You graduated before the hikes in tuition.

So how about this. Why should a doctor practice on you, a person who refuses to not practice medicine? Basically you're attacking a person for their background and their aspirations to contribute to society. That's like a doctor saying well if you practiced medicine (your background) you could heal yourself. An illogical point. You are over simplifying the situation and stating that since you did it with a myriad of other variables not included and reduced tuition that this should be the norm now.

I think that you should really re-examine the benefits conferred to you in a society that values social wellbeing as opposed to sheer profits.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My kids did not take out any student loans for their undergrad educations, so don't blame me for whatever your beef is.
What about my friend? Well, her house burned down. The insurance company didn't pay. She had a choice...give up her money for college and take loans or not. She gave up her money to help rebuild their house. She took out loans. She doesn't regret the decision, however she wishes that because of the worst fire season to hit SoCal our senior year when she was accepted to college...she didn't have to drown in debt.

I think that it's great if you can. Kudos, you're the extreme minority. However, many people simply don't have the means. I couldn't work full time because of my two 4 hr labs that ate up HUGE chunks of my day.

I think it's a shame that people assume that if 1 person could do something everyone can do the same thing. Life isn't like that.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
It's simple: If YOU decide to have children, YOU pay for their education. Why is it my or anyone else's responsibility, to pay for YOUR kids education?

If you cannot afford their education and healthcare: DON'T HAVE THEM!

It's really simple.
I would take it one step further. You pay for the "child's" education, but once they become an adult (18), they pay for their own. College is an adults education, one that the "adult" should take care of, not the parent.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
What about my friend? Well, her house burned down. The insurance company didn't pay. She had a choice...give up her money for college and take loans or not. She gave up her money to help rebuild their house. She took out loans. She doesn't regret the decision, however she wishes that because of the worst fire season to hit SoCal our senior year when she was accepted to college...she didn't have to drown in debt.

I think that it's great if you can. Kudos, you're the extreme minority. However, many people simply don't have the means. I couldn't work full time because of my two 4 hr labs that ate up HUGE chunks of my day.

I think it's a shame that people assume that if 1 person could do something everyone can do the same thing. Life isn't like that.
Sheesh! I just can't win today. First someone attacks me personally, telling me *I* want: "a eutopia (sic) world of rainbows and fluffy clouds, where everyone is equal", asking "why I should go to work, 70-80 hrs a week, so you (me) can legally rob me of my money, to send someone to "college?" ,and giving me the "bottom line" of "something YOU don't want to address:

You had your little darlings, you pay for them. What is so hard to understand in that statement?",
taking a jab at my kids at the same time.

My original response to this personal attack was deleted, but not the attack itself, so I responded again that my own kids did not take out any loans for undergrad.

Now, apparently, that is not an OK answer, either.

I give up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies