Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:39 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea...thanks for nothing.

Except for saving the whole damn world from tyranny.
FDR did not even want to get involved in the war. He dragged his feet until Japan made it absolutely necessary. He may have issued the order, but had precious little to do with actual "saving" part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 10:44 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
FDR did not even want to get involved in the war. He dragged his feet until Japan made it absolutely necessary. He may have issued the order, but had precious little to do with actual "saving" part.
Nations aren't supposed to go into wars until it's absolutely necessary. I know that causes a little cognitive dissonance for Rethuglicans. I also know that you righties love the ideas sold to you about pre-emptive wars, but that's not the normal M.O. of responsible democracy loving nations.

And it's a lie that he had "precious little" to do with the actual saving. Bull. He had EVERYTHING to do with it.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:23 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
We weren't at war in 1936, nor were we at war in 1940. So that doesn't hold up. And he stomped Landon and Willkie in both of those elections. He may as well have ran unopposed.
I didn't say we were I only offered up a partial reason.

George Bush was elected for the maximum two terms, following your logic he should be considered a great leader.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:32 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,242 times
Quote:
Nations aren't supposed to go into wars until it's absolutely necessary. I know that causes a little cognitive dissonance for Rethuglicans. I also know that you righties love the ideas sold to you about pre-emptive wars, but that's not the normal M.O. of responsible democracy loving nations.

And it's a lie that he had "precious little" to do with the actual saving. Bull. He had EVERYTHING to do with it.
Germany and Japan were quite pre-emptive while we dragged our feet. We should of jumped in the game in 1939. FDR did not fire a single bullet or create a military plan of action. He signed the order. He had very little to do with the actual winning.
I don't hate the guy. I think he did what he felt needed to be done at the time, but it has had severe unintended consequences to our overall financial well being.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I didn't say we were I only offered up a partial reason.

George Bush was elected for the maximum two terms, following your logic he should be considered a great leader.
The difference is that GWB couldn't win a third term even if he were allowed to run. Many if not most presidents win second terms. Comes with the gravitas of being an incumbent. That doesn't make one special. Doesn't make them a great leader either....even though i don't think GWB was necessarily a "bad" leader.

To win 4 elections IS special no matter how you slice it. Again, you said he won so much despite the New Deal because people are loathe to change leadership during war. That's nonsense. He won initially on the New Deal, and won 3 more times after it's implementation....only one of those elections during the war. Obviously, the New Deal was a smashing success in the eyes of the American people since he basically won practically unopposed....

Easy to go back now and kill the guy based on modern day gibberish. But the man SAVED capitalism. And he SAVED the world.

Painful, i know. But hey....

Old 03-26-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
The difference is that GWB couldn't win a third term even if he were allowed to run. Many if not most presidents win second terms. Comes with the gravitas of being an incumbent. That doesn't make one special. Doesn't make them a great leader either....even though i don't think GWB was necessarily a "bad" leader.

To win 4 elections IS special no matter how you slice it. Again, you said he won so much despite the New Deal because people are loathe to change leadership during war. That's nonsense. He won initially on the New Deal, and won 3 more times after it's implementation....only one of those elections during the war. Obviously, the New Deal was a smashing success in the eyes of the American people since he basically won practically unopposed....

Easy to go back now and kill the guy based on modern day gibberish. But the man SAVED capitalism. And he SAVED the world.

Uh huh
Anyone who uses terms like "Rethuglican" can't be expected to be taken to seriously.
Sorry for all your typing.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Germany and Japan were quite pre-emptive while we dragged our feet. We should of jumped in the game in 1939. FDR did not fire a single bullet or create a military plan of action. He signed the order. He had very little to do with the actual winning.
I don't hate the guy. I think he did what he felt needed to be done at the time, but it has had severe unintended consequences to our overall financial well being.
So what if Germany and Japan were pre-emptive? You're SUPPOSED to go into wars kicking and screaming! I know that's a foreign concept to modern day Americans, but Americans at that time were overwhelmingly isolationists and didn't want to engage in wars that didn't involve us. Seems to me that in many ways, they were smarter back then.

And no, he didn't fire any bullets....so what? His leadership saved this world from tyranny. It starts at the top.

As for the "severe unintended consequences" to our financial well being, that's not his fault. That's the fault of the losers who came long after he did. What he did was exactly right at the time. Was it perfect? Hell, what is? We could've improved on his policies instead of just expanding them. We didn't, and now we're paying for it. But our stupidity has no reflection on FDR himself.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Uh huh
Anyone who uses terms like "Rethuglican" can't be expected to be taken to seriously.
Sorry for all your typing.
That's an excuse. You've got nothing sir....and it's obvious.

If you think for a minute that i buy this idea that your skin is so thin that the term "Rethuglican" offends you, think again. That doesn't bother you in the least bit....and i know it.

Anyway, as you were.....

Old 03-26-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
That's an excuse. You've got nothing sir....and it's obvious.

If you think for a minute that i buy this idea that your skin is so thin that the term "Rethuglican" offends you, think again. That doesn't bother you in the least bit....and i know it.

Anyway, as you were.....
How much time should someone waste explaining to an unwilling student? And you have provided nothing to the discussion but emotional rhetoric.

Here is an informative link. Why don't you read it and come back and discuss like an adult:
The Free Market: The New Deal Debunked

Old 03-26-2011, 12:24 PM

545 posts, read 400,155 times
Quote:

I am not looking for any long debate....I feel it would be pointless seeing as how far you are gone...price control, wage control, confiscating gold and so on and so on...but somehow you believed he saved capitalism?...OK that is your right to "believe" that... I do not feel like arguing , you can believe what you want.

But I can't wonder why you would hold a guy to such a high regard who was a racist who refused to even be photographed with a black man and didn't support anti-lynching legislation and he detained Japaneses Americans in internments....I mean what if we detained Muslims right after 9/11?

It's ok, I have no issue with you "thinking" FDR was a "hero" that is fine, but you, as a black man, doesn't his racism bother you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies