Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Good Decision or Bad???
Good decision by the judge 56 93.33%
Bad decision by the judge 3 5.00%
Undecided 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:33 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Different states do have some differing laws...however, there is not one state that specifies that a parent's disability is grounds for termination of parental rights.
Which state? I want to make sure never to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
The sole guardian? I can understand that. Visitation rights? There's no reason why she can't have visitation rights.

All the stigma people have about disability comes from ADULTS, not kids. And it's imparted onto children by adults like the father.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
What I said is that there is not one state that specifies parental disability as grounds for termination of parental rights.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:37 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Best as I recollect - all of them

In every state, someone would have to petition the court and PROVE that claim. It is NOT automatic.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
andrea..p.s. yes I do know what I would do in this situation. I also know what my husband would do, as well as millions of other men and women. the family unit would stay together. the able'd spouse would take care of the disabled spouse and children. they would probably also have help from friends and family.

the husband in this case may not be all bad, but at the heart of him he is no real man at all, but a bit of a spineless weasel, first to leave your disabled wife, and he went to spineless when he refuses his children and their mother their rights

I agree. My husband has been disabled since our girls were small and they are growing up to be kind, compassionate young adults.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:40 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Yes, but you don't know how this affects the children mentally. I have worked with children who have been removed from broken homes, and you would not believe how intuitive children are. They pick up on EVERYTHING. The fact of the matter is that it may not be psychologically healthy for the children to visit with her. The interactions they have with her are likely not fulfilling and they may develop an unhealthy attachment to her. The early years are so important, psychologically speaking, and this could have a big impact on them. Again, I don't know the whole situation, but there is definitely another side that has apparently been looked over by the whole lot of you...the emotional health of the children. This is not about the mother, it is about the children. And that is why the father is not "vile" or whatever other adjectives that have been used to describe him in this thread.
So what if one of the triplets had the severe brain injury, or any family that has a child with a disability; should all the other children in that household be shielded because it may not be "psychologically healthy" for the children to be around that child? Because believe or not, many children are exposed to these disabled children in their classrooms because of inclusion. Isn't it wonderful that they become compassionate about another's disability and learn to deal with it instead of just shunning a person who obviously wanted these children but almost died because of them?

Old 03-26-2011, 08:42 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What I said is that there is not one state that specifies parental disability as grounds for termination of parental rights.
Oh, I misread that! Thank God. I know some people have tried.

Blind Couple Reunited With Baby Taken Away by State - ParentDish

Old 03-26-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that was the issue. The point is, she is not capable of being a good parent, she's not capable of being much of a parent at all. What good is going to come of the children spending 5 days with her a year, especially if she is not really even taking on the role of a parent during that time? She can't respond to them, she can't interact with them, all she do is basically sit in a room and watch. How is that good for the children?

Tell me, if you were a child, what would you think of the situation? What would you think of the situation as you grew older? Don't you think there would be some sort of guilt for basically being the cause of your mother's disability? How do you know the children are not experiencing some kind of empathy for her already? Do you think it's healthy for a 5 year old to think and feel these things? And if they do have a healthy attachment to her, don't you think that 5 consecutive days per year would just open a wound that will take a year to heal, just to be reopened again?

There are too many unanswered questions here.
and if they didn't get to see her, they would think that they did something wrong and their mother didn't love them.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I'm not nitpicking, I'm saying your situation is very different and you are personalizing it and generalizing that every disability is similar to yours.

And no, I never said that people with disabilities have adverse affects on children, I am saying the consequences of those disabilities can be problematic for children.
Yes, it teaches them to have empathy and compassion for others.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:

Let me explain something: A parent only has so long to correct his or her bad behavior. Then they are "TPR'ed," which stands for termination of parental rights. Then they have NO rights to visitation whatsoever. Got it?
and I didn't read that in the link, did you? She didn't have her rights terminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies