Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Good Decision or Bad???
Good decision by the judge 56 93.33%
Bad decision by the judge 3 5.00%
Undecided 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:34 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times

Advertisements

One Mom's Thoughts on the Abbie Dorn Case: Is Dan Dorn's Behavior Inethical? - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com
Quote:
I just have to wonder.

If one of Abbie and Daniel Dorn's triplets were to be involved in a serious car accident, what would happen?

If one of their triplets became paralyzed would Daniel Dorn abandon him/her?

Would he cut off all contact and never visit his own child?

Would he refuse the child from visiting and interacting with his/her siblings?
This lady's got it going on. ^5 to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 08:43 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
This guy:

To me, as a Jew (though not Orthodox, myself), I find his behavior particularly reprehensible. He's supposedly in one of the strictest sects of the Jewish faith; Orthodox. He should damn well know the Mishnah and its teachings.
He has wronged both his wife and his children. Not only has he violated the vows he swore before G-d when he signed his marriage Ketubah;

He has been dishonest with his children about their own mother's existence.
He has been indecent to his wife by abandoning her into the care of her parents.
He has been unkind to his in-laws in forcing them into court in order that his children be allowed time with their own mother.

He has therefore been dishonest, indecent and unkind to G-d.

And yet he pretends to continue to be a devout Jew. As a Jew, I find that sickeningly offensive.
Thank you for all this info. I like to learn new things.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:43 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
"Mr Dorn concurred in court with Mrs Cohen's claim that the children appeared to enjoy a visit with their mother last December - only their second since they were infants - when they drew her pictures, touched her and asked afterwards if they could see her again."[/i]
This in and of itself is reason enough for the mother to have visitation rights.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:30 PM

Objective/ non partisan view of atheists- Court fight over brain-damaged woman's children. - Think Atheist
Quote:
CNN has obtained the 2007 medical report in which neurologist Richard Helvie described Abbie Dorn's condition as "permanent." Observing a list of mental
functions, Helvie noted that she was "so impaired as to be incapable of
being assessed" for most of the evaluation.

Abbie Dorn's parents and therapists tell a different story about her recovery.

"Abbie has made dramatic progress since 2008," said her mental health counselor, Dr. Robert McCarthy.

McCarthy is part of a $33,000-a-month rehabilitation program designed by Susan Cohen. He is treating Abbie using a method called neurofeedback, which trains the
brain to function more efficiently.

"With the introduction of neurofeedback, she has become increasingly alert, can voluntarily bounce her legs up and down, has regained movement in her arms, and can even
verbally respond 'yes' or 'no,'" McCarthy said.
It's a good thing Abbie's parents are medically trained, Dad being former Physician and Mom being former nurse. What that translates out to others in similar circumstances yet no proficiency in specialty is a helpless reliance on experts. Some of those experts are only in the business of telling people what they want to hear, and that's unfortunate that anyone in such dire circumstances should find themselves victimized by 'experts'.

So the question is are we scientifically advanced enough in our measurement of ability pertaining to traumatic brain injury or do we able bodied have a significant body of knowledge missing/ absent on this subject? It appears to me the latter is the case.

I see zero evidence to suggest that this woman is equal to Terry Shiavo's case. Flat line electrical activity in the brain and autopsy reports were clear evidence of Terry's absence from the world. When Abbie's abilities have expanded through therapies and can be demonstrated at will, why is that insufficient evidence for neurologists? IMO she doesn't fit into the beaten trail of medicine, so he decides she's not worthy of assistance to mask his own intellectualized version of willful laziness and ignorance. The burden of proof is more upon the profession of neurology than it is upon Abbie if we are to truly be fair minded.

Anyone arguing that Abbie= Terry needs to produce evidence. The photo in the link below suggests otherwise.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/CRI...story.dorn.jpg
Mom is not vacuously staring off into space. She's not staring at a shiny object dangling in front of the child. She's looking directly at her child. Her ability to direct her attention to what is important to her is crystal clear to me.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:00 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Not only that, but doctors are in the habit of telling you the worst case scenario so that they don't end up with disappointed families. What her doctors predict is probably the minimum potential.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
This in and of itself is reason enough for the mother to have visitation rights.
Agreed, and agree with much of what you've posted regarding children interacting with disabled. I had a classmate who was blind and horribly facially disfigured at birth. He had special hallway privileges in high school to safely navigate his way around. Daniel was much loved by his classmates and the tink tink sound of his braille type writer in school didn't disrupt anyones lesson. He was an ace student and a good egg. The whole football team considered themselves his personal body guard if any bully thought to go after him. In every way it was possible for him to be responsible for himself, he took that responsibility. We were there to help if needed but he really didn't need much of anything at all. He just wanted as big a gulp of 'normal' he could get. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Back then we stuck together on principles & a shared sense of common decency. Nowadays parents seem to be teaching kids it's every man woman and child for themselves. Schools & teachers aren't allowed to use common sense because parents are obsessed over 'their rights'. How DARE you tell my kid 2+2=4!

I had a dear friend in elementary school with insulin dependent juvenile diabetes. It's a very cruel disease that no one understands and no cure exists. We all knew where Leslie's lifesavers were if she were to ever get woozy and fall down. We knew to immediately call the teachers/ nurse for aid as well. We looked after one another in much the same way the adult community minded the community.

No trauma for me knowing Daniel and Leslie. It was a traumatic event for classmates to be killed in auto accidents, but who has the power to revise history for happy endings? We don't live in Walt Disney world. A minority of ignorant parents reacted badly to Daniel's presence in school choir, or muttered nonsense in the audience about Daniel giving a class speech, but we knew him better than they did. We heard the content of his speech better than they ever could. What a shame they couldn't learn from their own kids. What a shame they called themselves Christian. A baldfaced lie if I ever heard one.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:36 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
I suggest no one knows what this family is going through or went through. To pass judgement is rather arrogant and intrusive. We really have no facts, we don't know the reasoning. Perhaps it is best to not see mom in this fashion. It does her no good either way. I suspect the father is doing what he thinks is best and he is the only one that knows the situation.

And if he is right and the children start acting out... how do you reverse this problem created? Think this judge will come deal with the problems created? He has no clue and will be done with it once the gavel hits the desk.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Not only that, but doctors are in the habit of telling you the worst case scenario so that they don't end up with disappointed families. What her doctors predict is probably the minimum potential.
There's a vast difference between an architect's plans, a master carpenters ability to materialize those plans, and a pre fabricated home a monkey could erect. Now look at the state of medical science through those eyes. Nothing gets cured anymore. Doctors don't have to think. The law and insurance industry dictates the reference book and dictates the application of the closest fitting cookie cutter. We treat symptoms with a million brands of pills and ignore root causes. Medicine itself is sickened.

Research is orientated for profit, not for discovering truth & delivering cures. They can't wonder why so many are resorting to alternative medicine. It's no coincidence that's exactly where Abbie's parents headed to do what they could to help their daughter. Reliable as a train schedule, next will come the accusations of quackery.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:01 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,578 times
The children need to see their mother. The mother needs to see her children.

End of story.

Whatever fallout occurs from these undebatable facts just needs to be dealt with. That's what being human is all about.

As an observant Jew, I'm horrified by the husband's behavior. Simply horrified. I cannot even imagine what the man is thinking. Or who is advising him. It's a wonder he has not been ostracized from the community. I've lived in Ortho communities in the states and in Israel, and this behavior is not the norm. It goes against all our teachings.

My heart breaks for the mother and her family.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:02 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
There's a vast difference between an architect's plans, a master carpenters ability to materialize those plans, and a pre fabricated home a monkey could erect. Now look at the state of medical science through those eyes. Nothing gets cured anymore. Doctors don't have to think. The law and insurance industry dictates the reference book and dictates the application of the closest fitting cookie cutter. We treat symptoms with a million brands of pills and ignore root causes. Medicine itself is sickened.

Research is orientated for profit, not for discovering truth & delivering cures. They can't wonder why so many are resorting to alternative medicine. It's no coincidence that's exactly where Abbie's parents headed to do what they could to help their daughter. Reliable as a train schedule, next will come the accusations of quackery.
Can't rep you anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies