Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 09:22 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Norway is not part of the European Union.
And in which country wants to attack Norway?
No country wants to attack Norway because they have this remarkable habit of keeping their nose in their own business. Unlike America who thinks that anytime anything happens in any remote region of the world it's a "vital national security threat." Amazing the things you can do for your people when your not policing the world. One day America will get tired of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEidk...eature=related

Old 03-27-2011, 09:31 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No thanks, Norway with has some of highest tax rates in the world.
I'd rather trade away services for fewer taxes and more freedoms than to be considered a ward of the state.
Hell yeah 'Murrica! I love having the freedom for giant corporations to rape our economy and send us in a death spiral.
I love having the freedom to watch government and corporate power merge to form kraken that will bring this country to it's knees.
I love having the freedom to watch children die from lack of medical care.
I love having the freedom to be spied on via the "Patriot" Act and have my phone wiretapped without a warrant!
I love having the freedom to export Hope and Change to the middle via cruise missiles and group troops.
I love having the freedom to spend billions of dollars losing the "war" on drugs.
I love having the freedom to restrict a woman's right to choose.
I love having the freedom to tell homosexuals that they can't get married. I love having the freedom to watch giant corporations rake in record profits and make money through the tax system.
I love having the freedom to watch American jobs be shipped overseas.
I love having the freedom to see all Muslims viewed as suspect.
Yeah, I love those good ol' all-'murrican freedoms. God Bless the USA.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:34 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
1. Oil
2. Small population
3. Lack of military spending
4. Low corruption which results in cronyism, which results in pork projects, spending on lobbyists' items (like war, public unions)
5. Tied into #4, but low amount of crony corporatism. That is the biggest factor IMO. That's whats killing the U.S. right now, the crony corporatism

Norway being a social democracy is a correlation, not a cause and effect relationship. Canada is a social democracy and yet they are in the red as well. Most EU countries are in the red. Norway just has the oil revenues and they don't wildly spend it like the U.S. and U.K. do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Norway is not part of the European Union.
And in which country wants to attack Norway?
But it's part of the EEA, which means that it still has to comply with most EU regulations, but not all. This includes the free movement of people in and out of Norway from other EU/EEA countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The answer is remarkably simple ....

1. Find oil in the North Sea.

2. Exploit that oil for the benefit of all and do not allow yourself to be raped by big oil.

3. Do not spend all the money on an interventionist foreign policy

4. Put the money in the bank ... protect the principle and use the income generated for the common good.
Mexico has state-owned Pemex, and Brazil has state-owned Petrobas. Yet the populations of these countries are extremely poor, and the GINI co-efficient is ridiculous. Why?

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 03-27-2011 at 09:59 AM..

Old 03-27-2011, 09:34 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Geez...again with the racial stuff!

its not racism

its demographics

if you compared country "A" to country "B"...and said "A" has an average age of 38..and "B" has an average age of 51...which country do you think would be more PRODUCTIVE and HEALTHY

its the demographics

its like the life expectancy list

the USa has an AVERAGE life expectacny of 78.9 (number 30 something on the list)

but if you break it down further

in the USA, the asian american female has a life expectancy of 86(the HIGHEST in the WORLD)..whites are around 83...hispanics around 76...and blacks have a LOW LIFE expectacy around 66m/68f....giving us the AVERAGE of 78.9.....if you took the (12-15% population) of blacks of that list..we would have one of the top three life expectancies in the world....

demographic plays BIG ROLES

we also have the HIGHEST teen pregnancy ...which leads to low baby weight, and high infant mortality.....and the hightest DEMOGRAPHIC with teen pregancies...the blacks

its not racism..its facts...sorry you cant handle the thruth

Last edited by workingclasshero; 03-27-2011 at 10:16 AM..

Old 03-27-2011, 09:45 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
I love these illogical "comparison" threads.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
its not racism

its demographics

if you compared country "A" to country "B"...and said "A" has an average age of 38..and "B" has an average age of 51...which country do you think would be more PRODUCTIVE and HEALTHY

its the demographics

its like the life expectancy list

the USa has an AVERAGE life expectacny of 78.9 (number 30 something on the list)

but if you break it down futher

in the USA, the asian american female has a life expectancy of 86(the HIGHEST in the WORLD)..whites are around 83...hispanics around 76...and blacks have a LOW LIFE expectacy around 68....giving us the AVERAGE of 78.9.....if you took the (12-15% population) of blacks of that list..we would have one of the top three life expectancies in the world....

demographic plays BIG ROLES

we also have the HIGHEST teen pregnancy ...which leads to low baby weight, and high infant mortality.....and the hightest DEMOGRAPHIC with teen pregancies...the blacks

its not racism..its facts...sorry you cant handle the thruth
That's what happens when people are choked up on political correctness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I love these illogical "comparison" threads.
So do I. The fact that Norway has a balanced budget with lots of social programs is merely a correlation to the fact it's a social democracy. Norway does NOT have a balanced budget because it's a social democracy To assume otherwise is a fallacy

Old 03-27-2011, 09:56 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,038 times
I would LOVE to visit Norway. It's a beautiful country, and the men are HOT!!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:03 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's what happens when people are choked up on political correctness.

So do I. The fact that Norway has a balanced budget with lots of social programs is merely a correlation to the fact it's a social democracy. Norway does NOT have a balanced budget because it's a social democracy To assume otherwise is a fallacy
The dominant political philosophy in Norway is social democracy. This has guided the policies of Norwegian governments over the past 50 years. However, their economic success and prosperity is probably more down to good honest government rather than to political ideology.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The dominant political philosophy in Norway is social democracy. This has guided the policies of Norwegian governments over the past 50 years. However, their economic success and prosperity is probably more down to good honest government rather than to political ideology.
That's what I'm saying. You can have a government like the U.S. and if it was good, honest government then we wouldn't be in the mess we're in. It's the corporate welfare and the corporatism that's killing this country. Any country can have a balanced budget, but they need low corruption to do that. Our corruption is through the roof.

End Corporate Welfare - Reason Magazine

By the way, the author who penned this article, is John Stossel, an anchor on Fox. Worlds apart from the likes of O'Reilly and Beck. Judge Napolitano also thinks the same way he does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies